Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

strider

10 minutes ago, strider said:

If I'm honest there are very few games I regret selling because I wanted to play them, but there's plenty I regret selling because of what they're now worth, which is completely different.

One thing I've started doing is sinking a lot of time into the rubbish games. Even if they are pants I'll give them a fair go to see if there's any enjoyment to be had though I do struggle on things like Barbie. I quite enjoy the hunt on a lot of these which helps adds to the fun as I try to not just get everything off eBay.

13 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Is it the backlog that bothers you, the space they take up? Just not being into gaming as much right now and having them around?

It's probably all of it to be honest. I've got a significant Switch collection (which I do play a lot) but I find that I often feel forced into buying certain games from the likes of Super Rare Games and Limited Run Games because you have no idea how expensive they'll become down the line. I've been a lot choosier with my Switch releases lately and the only ones I will buy immediately as shmups because they constantly get released in limited numbers and generally go for silly money once they're out of print (plus I love the genre).

I love my old collection of games from my childhood as they give me such a nostalgia hit when I look at them on my shelf. Working from home has been tough over the last year but when I look up at my collection of NES, SNES and N64 games, I definitely get a calming feeling.

In some ways I somewhat dislike that I’m like that, as it means I’m attached to ‘stuff’ rather than more meaningful things (although I can argue with myself and realise that the stuff is associated to memories and it’s that which I love).

It’s easy to get it all mixed up with value of them too, which does complicate matters a whole lot more. It would help if they had no value, because then I would appreciate them even more for the memories rather than the potential retirement fund they might be.

I have to be careful as by nature I am someone who likes to collect. I have been able to sell some of my games and comics over the years but it’s mainly the trashy stuff that I just bought for the sake of collecting. I only have some regrets of getting rid of old magazines (I love reading them from time to time, again for the nostalgia hit and the optimism they once had for what the future of computer games will be).

Panic and guilt about owning too much is why from day one I deliberately limited my retro collection to certain formats – Super Famicom/Super NES being the core of my collection, being my favourite games system ever. Currently it’s that, GameCube (NTSC system and games bought for pennies in 2010), PC Engine (games easily storable in CD racks), and Game Boy (a dozen loose carts). The Mega Drive actually kicked off my modern retro collection, being cheap and plentiful in 2009, but the games went towards a mortgage deposit. With retro gaming inflation as it, I’ll probably not be able to expand my collection again really. Unless unforeseen windfall, or an eventful purchase of a MiSTer unit counts as retro equipment somehow. Or both.

edit: of course I’m still gutted that I sold my expanded Amiga 1200 for thirty or forty quid back in 2003. I’d have had that recapped, Gotek added, the works, if I still owned it.

Edited by Protocol Penguin

1 hour ago, strider said:

It's probably all of it to be honest. I've got a significant Switch collection (which I do play a lot) but I find that I often feel forced into buying certain games from the likes of Super Rare Games and Limited Run Games because you have no idea how expensive they'll become down the line. I've been a lot choosier with my Switch releases lately and the only ones I will buy immediately as shmups because they constantly get released in limited numbers and generally go for silly money once they're out of print (plus I love the genre).

Are they really going to be worth a lot? Most games rarely end up more than the official RRP was anyway, and by the sounds of it even if they do end up being worth a few quid in 5yrs+ down the line you’d regret selling them for a profit anyway. Sounds like you have an anxiety around collecting things which is never going to cured by just the endless cycle of buying/selling. 

Limited run editions are there to take advantage of those who would feel anxiety from missing out.  I’m not a fan of them. Although I do dip into them if they going to release a game I know I’ll love I don’t make a purchase based on collectivity. 

The only console I ever regretted selling was my Dreamcast. The last year has got me more into gaming due to other interests having to take a backseat, I was loving the Switch beforehand and it led me to collecting waaaay too many games for it and so I had to be strict and simply get rid of games that didn’t vibe with me. Animal crossing, Astral Chain, BOTW etc while loved by many didn’t click with me. No point having games that I don’t want to play.

Got back into the Dreamcast after seeing a video for Xenocider and splashed out on a few of the classics too but I’m more intrigued by its homebrew scene than collecting for it. I view it as any other console and only will buy a game to rinse on it. Still looking at my games across the DC and Switch I’ve got way too many that haven’t been played satisfactorily. Plus an Evercade VS pre ordered and some frustratingly long ago preordered Switch games from a few limited run companies over the next few months, I’ve got way too many games that I can realistically play. So no more new games for me for the next 6months or so. 

59 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Are they really going to be worth a lot? Most games rarely end up more than the official RRP was anyway, and by the sounds of it even if they do end up being worth a few quid in 5yrs+ down the line you’d regret selling them for a profit anyway. Sounds like you have an anxiety around collecting things which is never going to cured by just the endless cycle of buying/selling.

I bought the Super Rare Games physical of Worms W.M.D from their website for £35 odd, because I thought it would be fun for a meet up I was having with some old friends. Turned out to be a lazy cross-platform port with awful load times that was significantly less fun than the old Amiga/PC games. Disappointed, put it away when I got home and forgot about it for a year.

Found it again after a year and stuck it on eBay - it went for £80+, despite being probably the least essential thing you can imagine. Just took a look on eBay now, and one sold last week for £250, which is ridiculous. So yeah, Switch stuff from SRG/LRG sells for more than RRP.

Yep. I sold my Limited Run stuff on when I realised that I wasn't going to play a lot of it and had lapsed into the collector's mindset. Paid off most of my 1080Ti at the time- someone even bid £200 for a single Vita game.

Edit: they sent me a coin because I bought their first game and it's selling for £120-500 on eBay already. A coin:blink2:

6 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Yep. I sold my Limited Run stuff on when I realised that I wasn't going to play a lot of it and had lapsed into the collector's mindset. Paid off most of my 1080Ti at the time- someone even bid £200 for a single Vita game.

I've got a (non limited run game) on Vita which is selling for £300. Prices are bonkers.

If anyone on here does consider selling Japanese Md and Saturn games, could they please consider dropping me a list first? I sold mine many years ago and regret it ow I have more space and am desperately trying to slowly rebuild the collection I once had.

33 minutes ago, strider said:

It's A Rose In The Twilight. Mine has the separate stress monster which pushes the price up.

Hadn't heard of the game before but it looks like further confirmation that Vita collecting has spiralled out of control in a relatively short period of time.

I've hit my limit in terms of space, everything is crammed into my box room that I've been WFH from the last 18 months. I've sold off a fair bit and swapped over to flash carts and ODE's where possible. 

Shaking off the collector mentality is difficult though. I'm reluctant to get rid of some of the rarer stuff even though I have other ways of playing the games (but as always, never the time)

In the past I've sold off most of my collection in waves - to free up some space, make a bit of quick cash and because I just wasn't playing the games regularly enough. Same as most people I guess.

Home computers went first (Spectrum and Atari ST), followed by NES, Master System, SNES, Megadrive (and Mega CD), Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, N64, PS2, XBOX and 360. The Dreamcast hurt a bit. The SNES hurt a lot. Got rid of my arcade cab and jamma boards too (still miss R-Type and R-Type II even though I can play them on any number of systems now).

Handhelds are where I have the most regrets. I had an almost complete UK Neo Geo Pocket collection that I sold off - I really wish I hadn't done that (and not because of the money, although some of the prices are eye watering now). Ditto my Gameboy, Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance games - still wish I had them now.

I guess it's cyclical because now I'm eyeing up the Wii/Wii U and PS3 as next on the list for a clearout. PS4, PSP, Vita and 3DS are still in use and Gamecube I'm keeping for now as that would still fall firmly into the 'regret' category.

Why are people collecting games? 

I don't understand the problems with collecting. If you're into the thrill of the chase or getting a full set on a particular system - can't you just sell up afterwards with no regrets? If you're buying with the intention to play them then do that! If they're good games, keep them. If they're not good games, sell them!

Why do people regret selling games? 

I've sold plenty of games over the years and I can't think of anything I wish I'd kept because finding another copy would be difficult or too expensive. I've also never sold anything I'd consider myself sentimentally attached to. I can only think of a handful of titles where the physical object itself has sentimental value. The vast majority of my favourite games give me that nostalgic hit regardless of the format I play them on.

I keep much of my old stuff because, at some point, I plan on playing it. I don't like faffing around with emulators and finding roms, so I keep original hardware and games. A lot of it I haven't touched for years, but I do regularly dig out a game or a console and play it for a bit, then it goes back into storage. Anything that isn't fun does not go back into storage and I'll try and sell it.

Try my "should I sell it" quiz to help you decide what to keep. 

1. Do you need the money? 

Really think about this. Are you so hard up that you need to sell things that you would prefer to keep? I know £300 is a lot of money for a Vita game, but it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of life.

2. Do you need the space?

Could you box it up and store it in the loft/garage/spare room? Will selling a few bits actually help or is it an 'all or nothing' situation?

3. Is there any sentimental value?

Are you attached to the gameplay or the physical object itself? Would you be satisfied with a replacement object in the future if you sold the original?

4. Do you need to play the original version?

Legally or otherwise, retro games are more widely available than ever. Do you need the real deal or would you be happy to play it via other means? Maybe you could sell your consoles and keep your carts? Maybe you could sell your games and keep your consoles? Maybe sell it all and go 100% current gen, only purchasing retro releases when they become available on current systems.

TL:DR

If it's good, keep it; unless you really need the money.

If you don't need the money, don't sell it; unless you really need the space.

If you're sentimentally attachment to an object, don't sell it. No exceptions!

9 hours ago, Hambury said:

I love my old collection of games from my childhood as they give me such a nostalgia hit when I look at them on my shelf. Working from home has been tough over the last year but when I look up at my collection of NES, SNES and N64 games, I definitely get a calming feeling.

I feel like the psychological effects of retro games is rarely mentioned but one which must surely chime with many. I get the same calming feeling when I look at my collection. And that's before checking out the boxes, going through manuals, leafing through magazines. Let alone playing the games themselves! It's obviously that connection to the past but there's something grounding about it. Physically being able to hold and puruse the objects, that has a deep effect on the mind, or my mind at least.

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I feel like the psychological effects of retro games is rarely mentioned but one which must surely chime with many. I get the same calming feeling when I look at my collection. And that's before checking out the boxes, going through manuals, leafing through magazines. Let alone playing the games themselves! It's obviously that connection to the past but there's something grounding about it. Physically being able to hold and puruse the objects, that has a deep effect on the mind, or my mind at least.

I keep saying it but my son is into this and he's only three. He loves going through what little I have left of my old collection. I had to leave the SFC carts out because he kept opening the cardboard boxes to get at them.

I'm thinking of selling off my PCE and SFC so that I can finally get another N64 and have it modded, but I just know that he'll get annoyed that he can't play the carts anymore.

"But this is exactly the same!" *gestures towards the MiSTer*

"NO! Da-da... This one has the picture on it. See? I can plug it in..."

Me, of all people, I'm the one trying to sway him towards piracy/preservation, but he just won't have it.

16 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

If anyone on here does consider selling Japanese Md and Saturn games, could they please consider dropping me a list first? I sold mine many years ago and regret it ow I have more space and am desperately trying to slowly rebuild the collection I once had.

please get to the back of the queue :)

There's a fair few Jap MD games I've been wanting to pick up to add the collection. Was really lucky to pick Mamono Hunter Yohko and Granada for a fiver back in the 90's, couldn't stop playing them. Fast forward to today and they seem to regularly hit £150-£200 :lol: Gynoug is about the only other one I can see as affordable but even that brings a hefty chunk. Too many games I need for my full sets elsewhere to bother sadly.

I'm a fan and collector of watches and while listening to a Podcast about them recently, a guy on there said there's generally a diffrence to the enjoyment of buying and collecting vs. just enjoying wearing one. It reminded me of games where we can enjoy both sides but with age comes experience and I found that the itch I was scratching with owning a large collection of games was diffrent to the itch I had to play them.

I was forced to sell a lot of my collection back in 2005 for my first ever car but soon after, it started a ripple effect of asking myself; Why do I have all these games while I can only play one at a time?

I found what freed me was the realisation that gaming was a comfort blanket for me back when I was a teenager and suffering with deep anxiety. Being at home all the time with great games was fantastic, but it didn't really make me happy. As I freed myself of the anxiety, collecting (Not gaming, which is diffrent) was almost a remidner of the anxiety I had. Freeing my mind made my arse catch up, and it made sense to offload them.

Now I have just a PC and a Switch. My PC plays all modern games and modern multiplayer games with mates and family. Also, when the mood takes me, and I want to play Metal Gear Solid, F355 Challenge, Super Metroid, Sonic 3, Shinobi or all kinds of goodness, the PC has that covered with bells on. The Switch is my armchair king and I can play Zelda or chill with my Wife in Animal Crossing.

Playing the games is where all of us fall in love with this hobby and I feel that collecting, while fun by itself, leads to obsessing over objects and then storing rotting discs and cartridges as a remidner to all the time you're not playing them. If you've got to that point, then I feel you should jettison the collection and focus on games that you want to play.

Despite all that, I do have 1 small little cube in my office where I have a curated collection of museum pieces that either make me happy of a time gone by, are signed games that I've picked up at meet and greets over the years, my favourite games I've worked on and a few little bits of memorabilia. It's only around 20 or so bits, but that cube is a place where I can look back at my past without it allowing me to get overwhelmed by it.

You won't regret selling your collection if it gets you a shit load of money, buys you back time and I can bet money that you'll spend more time gaming and having fun, than just wondering around the shelves not playing anything.

Recently I’ve sold off my GameCube, Dreamcast, two of my ngpc s and my gameboy color. Don’t miss any of it and used the funds to buy a mister. 

Next on the chopping block is likely all my mini consoles I’ve picked up over the past few years. 

Having got back from the journey from hell ( My first experience of the M25 on a Friday was not aided by the fact that no one seemed to be able to drive, and there must have been a shit load of people escaping for the weekend early, a 3:30 trip TOO Portsmouth turned into a 6 hour journey back !! Was worth the trip though, pics will be up in my thread once I've sorted through it ) I can safely say that BUYING a collection can and is a pain in the arse 😛 This lot has now involved a truck with a pallet load and 3 trips to fucking Portsmouth to get it all, but think this seam of collection is finally tapped out.

Selling it may be a wrench, and although I have slowly been getting shot of some of mine, there is stuff that I just won't ever part with , it holds proper sentimental value, the cardboard and the cases all tell a story and I know when / where they came from, they're like a photo album but more tactile and makes me feel happy, you can't buy memories like that, and selling then would require some serious, SERIOUS issues, I could downsize a lot, but there is just stuff that I actually cherish :wub:

I have said here I should think about selling stuff, but this last fortnight I've moved to a new flat and man alive was there a lot of crap to move. The spare room in my new place is is literally my WFH desk, my CRT and the rest is boxes and crates of half-arsed retro-gaming stuff. It really brought home to me how much of this stuff I actually don't want or need. Even my old Amiga 1200 (that I cannot find a good box for sending off to get recapped) feels like an indulgence. Once I get settled in I will definitely be shedding a load of this stuff, seriously.

I can't see the point of collecting games you don't like just for the sake of completeness, that seems like some kind of mania to me. 

My approach is to only buy good games but across multiple platforms, so I don't have anywhere near a 'complete set' for any system but have some really great games for MD, SNES, PS1, Ps2 etc. 

Last year I sold off a few games I didn't like and bought a mint copy of Symphony of the Night with the money. 

That seems more sensible to me. It's the quality, not the quantity. If you're interested in a physical collection, rather than going the MISTer route, just get rid of all the bumf and filler and keep the really good stuff. I don't think you'll regret selling games you don't care about, even if they go up in value, at least not if the accumulation of stuff is affecting your mental health. 

I'm nearly 50 and all of this tat is just a waste of space and money that could be used for something else so I'm slowly getting rid of it all.

22 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm nearly 50 and all of this tat is just a waste of space and money that could be used for something else so I'm slowly getting rid of it all.

What you getting rid of?

8 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

What you getting rid of?

Way too much to mention everything from consoles to games.

I will be listing everything on ebay, if anyone is interested in anyting let me know and I will discount to rllmuk rates.

Will be listing some boxed consoles today with games, a buyer fell through on the sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mini-munch-man/m.html?item=154526755131&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562