Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

I’m currently sat mulling over getting out of the arcade scene. I have 5 cabinets, a hundred or so boards and another 150ish games on carts or whatever that require a motherboard. The cabs for sure will have to go as we’ve decided to stay in our current home, and they were put there when single phillv85 bought the house because it had a big dining room I could stick my home arcade in. I just need to decide how far to go with selling the boards and games. I’m cool with selling a bunch of the boards, but some I really don’t want to get rid of. I’ll still have my super gun, but honestly I don’t know I’ll realistically play these games much without cabinets. There’s also the fact the arcade stuff must be worth far more than I’d be willing to take in PayPal, and a massive bank transfer or series of transfers might bring it to the attention of the tax man. Has anyone sold a collection worth over £10k before?

short answer - you will not have to pay capital gains tax.

long answer, if the item is £6000 or less, no cgt.

if the item is mechanical, like a car or arcade cabinet, you don’t have to pay cgt at all, no matter what the price.

its the same as selling your car

and if you and your wife co-own the item, it’s 12,000 before cgt kicks in 

note that this is all per individual item.

Ah I didn’t realise. I thought you had an allowance each year. In that case I’d probably be prepared to get rid of most of it in a fairly short space of time. I need to get it all out after Christmas and work out what I have and what it is all worth. 

Cabs wise, 2 Astro City, 1 Blast City, 1 OK Baby and an Electrocoin MVS with 6 slot. 

Games wise off the top of my head...

~20 Capcom CPS2

~10 Capcom CPS1

~80 Neo Geo MVS carts and a stack of 1 slot motherboards

Taito Type X2 with ~12 HDD’s and Dongles

Namco 246 and 256 with a few games for each

IGS PGM and a few games

Couple of PGM2 games with motherboards 

Bunch of CAVE shooters

Konami 4p games like Turtles, Bucky O’Hare and Simpsons

A bunch of STV carts including Cotton 2 and Radiant Silvergun with a few motherboards

Double Dragon 1 and 2

Gokujo and Sexy Parodius + Konami GX motherboard

Rival Schools, Street Fighter EX and Strider 2 + ZN2 motherboard

Atomiswave and ~10 games

Taito F3 motherboards and games

Hyper Neo Geo 64 games and motherboards

there’s quite a bit more as well, also stacks of spares for the cabs.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

You'll make a fortune from all that!

Definitely some CPS1, F3 and STV stuff I'd be interested in if you are really going to sell.

I’ll definitely be selling some of it, I just need to decide how much of it I want to get rid of. I’ll try to remember to give you a shout when the time comes. 

6 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Not me on this one, Arcade stuff is well outside my remit, don't even have a cab for myself of any description, strictly console gamer

Ah yeah, I'm just kidding! I'm all over getting some more arcade bits, I bought an arcade cabinet in June so I've got plenty of things I'm after!

1 hour ago, Welrain said:

@phillv85  What do you have?

edit..meant as let’s see pics of your collection.

Here's a pic of the games room from when I first set it up. 

spacer.png

The rest of the stuff is up in the loft which is currently in a state of disarray while there's building work going on. It's mostly a pile of white boxes anyway, unfortunately arcade stuff ain't much to look at <_<

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Is DOJ on that IGS PGM, by any chance?

Yeah, the original DOJ was released as a standalone board on IGS PGM hardware but there’s since been bootlegs made out of PGM carts. There’s also DOJ Tamashii on the PGM2 which just adds an easy mode.

39 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

Yeah, the original DOJ was released as a standalone board on IGS PGM hardware but there’s since been bootlegs made out of PGM carts. There’s also DOJ Tamashii on the PGM2 which just adds an easy mode.

Yeah, I've been after a DOJ bootleg (white or black label) for some time. I probably couldn't afford it at the moment, but do let us know your asking price if you decide to sell it. Cheers!