IGNORED

Selling collection - anyone else feeling the same way?

strider

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

You can do the same with the Super NT, but there's no assist chip support. To get that you will need a SD2SNES, or FXPAK as they call it now. 

You only need an Everdrive type solution like the Everdrive Pro or Mega SD to play Mega CD games. 

just to confirm, jail-breaking the analogue consoles is as straightforward as it comes, its officially unofficial.

Also worth noting, that the latest Jailbreak adds support for loads of assist chips for the SNES, aside from Super FX and that weird one in Street Fighter Alpha. So things like Pilotwings and Megaman run fine from SD

2 minutes ago, ulala said:

just to confirm, jail-breaking the analogue consoles is as straightforward as it comes, its officially unofficial.

Also worth noting, that the latest Jailbreak adds support for loads of assist chips for the SNES, aside from Super FX and that weird one in Street Fighter Alpha. So things like Pilotwings and Megaman run fine from SD

I did not know that regarding the Super NT! 
That’s pretty amazing!

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

Had a week off work and a massive clear-out of my flat, and frankly I'd love to get rid of most of my collection. A load of Spectrum tapes doing nothing, two Megadrives, C64 tape games, tons of crappy PS2 games I got in job lots. I've put a ton in bags to go to various charity shops because frankly the idea of having to sell off a load of crap PS2 games that'll probably net me £25 tops isn't worth it. 

Taking stock of it all made me realise I'm actually perfectly fine with emulators, I invested in a decent PC last year that runs most systems well. Plus I'm not a collector and never will be, hoarding games just isn't me. So why do I have crates of Amiga games and the like, waiting for some mythical day I'll have the space to get them all set up - it's just not going to happen. 

I feel depressed just writing that. 

i just bought an Amiga...

sooooo, if you want to shed Amiga stuff, let me know!

I'm also looking to bin off most of my stuff. Just dont go anywher near it , and it needs to go to a good home. Get ready for a  dreamcast and a shit tonne of games to hit trading when i can be arsed to catalogue. Also a couple of mario special edition GBA's and minis. 

And don't get me wrong, emulation is fucking ace, if you don't have space or money it's 95% of the experience whatever the hardware nerds like me tell you.  Between an Rpi, a PC or just the good minis you can play a massive proportion of everything ever released for cheap.

31 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And don't get me wrong, emulation is fucking ace, if you don't have space or money it's 95% of the experience whatever the hardware nerds like me tell you.  Between an Rpi, a PC or just the good minis you can play a massive proportion of everything ever released for cheap.

This was my Mega Drive collection back in the day ( around 2004)

120097027_10158436059900803_692526022732

120116539_10158436059925803_439575575569

120062729_10158436059940803_829644130201

and now :

120110180_10158436048830803_901007697087

You won't miss them. Sure I wish I had sold them at nowadays prices (I think I got a grand for them around 2008, I sold up when I moved out of my moms and didn't have the space). A handful of original carts with priceless memories (Mega Games 2 and Sonic 2 came with the system Xmas 1993) > a wall of stuff. Everdrive and a Hacked Mini are great alternatives. Still play OG Saturn and Dreamcast games but anything 16 bit and below gets emulated now.

On 23/09/2020 at 00:15, plateofchips said:

In summary - and to avoid you having to read all of the above - I have a shitload of old games to sell. Any suggestions as to the best, laziest, least likely to leave me in penury way to do it?

I was going to ask a similar question. I have dozens of Amiga games that I have no desire to keep. Am I better selling the lot as a bundle or individual lots? As anyone who's tried to buy stuff off me in the past will attest, i always over value my stuff. What's a good way to get realistic prices for things?

2 hours ago, Down by Law said:

You won't miss them. Sure I wish I had sold them at nowadays prices (I think I got a grand for them around 2008, I sold up when I moved out of my moms and didn't have the space). A handful of original carts with priceless memories (Mega Games 2 and Sonic 2 came with the system Xmas 1993) > a wall of stuff. Everdrive and a Hacked Mini are great alternatives. Still play OG Saturn and Dreamcast games but anything 16 bit and below gets emulated now.

Exactly, especially with better and better mini consoles (especially the "hardware emulation" ones) and flash carts.

Even I'm only "collecting" for SMS and doing basically an expanded version of you for everything else.

On 23/09/2020 at 10:46, Down by Law said:

I bought a joblot of 49 Japanese Dreamcast games off ebay last year for £200 at auction. I kept 11 I wanted, and sold the rest for £572.48 (after fees) making a profit of £352.48. I bundled 9 of the cheap ones together, bundled up series i.e Crazy Taxi 1 & 2 and listed the rest individually. Most sold for between £10-£20 so those do add up.  Took a lot of time and effort though to clean, photograph, list, pack and send. There is no shortcut really, you want the money you best put in the effort. 

It's technically only £352.48 profit if you don't put a value on your own time spent doing all the admin stuff to shift them. If you could've been doing other, more exciting things, then potentially it's not really any profit at all and I think that's the thing for a lot of people - when it comes down to it (especially as we all get older) - time spent doing all that for lots of relatively low-value sales is trumped by spending the time in activities you actually enjoy (whether that's playing games, watching films, going out etc).

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Inclined to agree. I didn't have a MD growing up so I don't have as much of an attachment to the carts I imported after I finally got one. After I got a Mega SG and a Mega SD, I didn't really feel the need to keep them as the new setup was more than acceptable. I'll probably do the same thing with any disc-based system that has a solid ODE solution as well.

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

It's technically only £352.48 profit if you don't put a value on your own time spent doing all the admin stuff to shift them. If you could've been doing other, more exciting things, then potentially it's not really any profit at all and I think that's the thing for a lot of people - when it comes down to it (especially as we all get older) - time spent doing all that for lots of relatively low-value sales is trumped by spending the time in activities you actually enjoy (whether that's playing games, watching films, going out etc).

Yeah definitely, personally I got a lot of free time (no kids) and I enjoy the cleaning and restoring part of it (and the excitement of watching the bids roll in during the last few seconds - more exciting that dancing on ice on a sunday night :lol:) plus - we're probably gonna be in a lockdown soon so everyone got time to grab the brasso, a can of pledge and a duster ;)

11 hours ago, Down by Law said:

This was my Mega Drive collection back in the day ( around 2004)

120097027_10158436059900803_692526022732

120116539_10158436059925803_439575575569

120062729_10158436059940803_829644130201

and now :

120110180_10158436048830803_901007697087

Where did you sleep?

4 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

The convertible Mini I have now isn't going to be my last car, but there's a good chance it'll be a keeper for a very long time.

Everybody needs a fun car, never had a convertible but would have liked one. The Monaro isn’t my daily driver so I can keep it nice and garaged during the winter :)

On 23/09/2020 at 13:00, klargon said:

A quick shortcut if you want to see the more valuable games on a system without checking them individually is just to sort completed listings for a platform by price high to low and see if any of yours appear.

I’ve done that and you end up with pages of sealed games selling for ludicrous prices.

An alternative is to look up CEX by platform and sort by price. Generally speaking they have a good idea of what’s expensive and what isn’t with the odd exception.

On 24/09/2020 at 13:09, Gabe said:

I agree. Although @Down by Lawdid bundle a lot of the games. So not quite selling 38 individual games.

For the lower value stuff (PS2 games that CEX sell for £2 or less) a charity shop is your friend.

On 26/09/2020 at 09:32, RichM said:

I’ve sold off most of my collection now from when I was active in the late nineties and early two thousands, it’s allowed me to buy the car I always wanted so won’t miss it too much. It was fun while it lasted and I do miss the epic car boot days.  Kept a few choice bits like my new US gold N64 just because I couldn’t part with them still. 

758329EA-7AB5-414A-BD67-60BB34172AC7.jpeg

Is that the supercharged one, or do they all have the bonnet scoops?

Similarly, everything I make from selling my stuff at the mo is going towards paying off this beast.

M1F8H3Q.jpg

• 1 month later...

As mentioned in the Job Lots thread, I sold a good chunk of my stuff this week. Like the parcel was a smidge under 15kg, a good chunk. And yes, half of what I got for it went towards what we owe on the car in my previous post. 

I feel like I'm getting what I own properly down to what I actually want now. 

I have some ps2 chaff that needs to go, all the Amiga stuff and some PC games that are probably worthless. Once they're all gone,  I'll be pretty happy with what I have. 

I’m currently sat mulling over getting out of the arcade scene. I have 5 cabinets, a hundred or so boards and another 150ish games on carts or whatever that require a motherboard. The cabs for sure will have to go as we’ve decided to stay in our current home, and they were put there when single phillv85 bought the house because it had a big dining room I could stick my home arcade in. I just need to decide how far to go with selling the boards and games. I’m cool with selling a bunch of the boards, but some I really don’t want to get rid of. I’ll still have my super gun, but honestly I don’t know I’ll realistically play these games much without cabinets. There’s also the fact the arcade stuff must be worth far more than I’d be willing to take in PayPal, and a massive bank transfer or series of transfers might bring it to the attention of the tax man. Has anyone sold a collection worth over £10k before?

And dumping that much on the market  devalues... the market. Whittle it down, one board a week

aldo: see if some of those arcade cafe type establishments would be interested in your cabs/boards.

and remember, I’ll give you £50 for an r-type board :eyebrows:

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:

I’m currently sat mulling over getting out of the arcade scene. I have 5 cabinets, a hundred or so boards and another 150ish games on carts or whatever that require a motherboard. The cabs for sure will have to go as we’ve decided to stay in our current home, and they were put there when single phillv85 bought the house because it had a big dining room I could stick my home arcade in. I just need to decide how far to go with selling the boards and games. I’m cool with selling a bunch of the boards, but some I really don’t want to get rid of. I’ll still have my super gun, but honestly I don’t know I’ll realistically play these games much without cabinets. There’s also the fact the arcade stuff must be worth far more than I’d be willing to take in PayPal, and a massive bank transfer or series of transfers might bring it to the attention of the tax man. Has anyone sold a collection worth over £10k before?

short answer - you will not have to pay capital gains tax.

long answer, if the item is £6000 or less, no cgt.

if the item is mechanical, like a car or arcade cabinet, you don’t have to pay cgt at all, no matter what the price.

its the same as selling your car

and if you and your wife co-own the item, it’s 12,000 before cgt kicks in 

note that this is all per individual item.