rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wintermute

Opus Magnum

(No topic on this yet? I searched and everything....)

logo.png?t=1508431999

"Opus Magnum is the latest open-ended puzzle game from Zachtronics, the creators of SpaceChem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, and SHENZHEN I/O. Master the intricate, physical machinery of the transmutation engine— the alchemical engineer’s most advanced tool— and use it to create vital remedies, precious gemstones, deadly weapons, and more."

Currently in Early Access on Steam.

Despite being absolutely fucking baffled by SpaceChem, I was intrigued enough to pick this up after reading this article in RPS. You make alchemical transmutation machines by combining various arms, combiners, nodes that transform one element into another and other assorted gizmos until you have an effective creation loop. Only had a couple of hours with it so far but it's really compelling and hypnotically pretty. Just solving a puzzle is satisfying enough but the real joy is in refining your creations until they are beautiful looping mechanisms of ultra-efficiency. Plus, the game makes GIFs of your creations so you can post them and be embarrassed by much cleverer people finding much neater solutions. Like these:

uAiCmwdcw3C1TBnB_CLx1idvkvO0CX6hfkDOLI_L

dSzf88IR6lRTscQWUvfSj2hKQ64jj_Yxk1GbTTbi

They seem to be adding features regularly, and I've not even got to the really complicated tasks yet, so there's a decent amount of game there already. Anyone else playing?

19 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yup, all Zachtronics games are basically insta-buy for me.

Same for me, even though I haven't completed one since SpaceChem (probably my favourite game ever).  One of the interesting things about this game is that you have very few restrictions on space or components so there is much more room for optimisation than in some of the previous games.  For some reason I keep optimising for space or cost, not cycles like I usually do.  That's when I'm not distracted by the mini-game!

Opus Magnum is probably the easiest of these games (although I've not got that far) mostly because it doesn't seem to have as many restrictions in place.  SpaceChem, TIS-100 and Shenzhen are particularly hard because of space and synchronisation limits.

1 hour ago, JPickford said:

I'm always scared to play these games in case I find out I've been a bit thick all along.

Upon playing them, they kind of do the opposite. Up front they look really daunting and impossible to penetrate, but the difficulty curve and tutorialisation is spot on, and after a few levels you step back and look at your monstrous creations working just as you intended and feel like a mad fucking genius.

• Upvote 2

I was kind of hoping there would be a challenge for optimising instruction efficiency in each level. I'm finding the optimum solutions for the other challenges often favour writing long strings of instructions and manually repeating sections instead of using the reset instruction. I'd love to be able to write function snippets and let arms reference those instead of a whole linear string for each arm.

I just bought this, played the tutorial on my lunch break. All was well, but then the final part just made me go WAAAAHHH! I'm scared. Thankfully, lunch is now over, so I can delay my inevitable feeling of stupidity until tonight.

Bought my first gaming PC in a decade and bought this yesterday, finally, after seeing it featured on Game Maker’s Toolkit a number of times.

Isn’t it incredible? Really enjoying it so far. Superb learning curve, and lovely presentation too.

• Upvote 1

Early puzzle solution but even though I've done better this is the first one I got a sense of satisfaction with (my personal goal was not to use the tripple bond).

1987136394_OpusMagnum-WaterproofSealant(130G55172018-11-05-22-01-18).gif.142a0149139a96073740626f981ea2f6.gif

I'm starting to get into this! :)

• Upvote 1