rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Darhkwing

Happy Death Day & Happy Death Day 2U

A college student must relive the day of her murder over and over again, in a loop that will end only when she discovers her killer's identity.

Watched this on the weekend - had heard good things about it for a while.

Okay, so the plot isn't that original (it even jokes about it during the film) as it obviously is influenced by films like groundhog day. Haven't seen a horror try this time loop like this before though.

The lead actress (Jessica Rothe) is one to watch out for in the future. Sure, with films like this the looping day can get a bit tired but i think it pulled it off well and kept the running time at a decent 96 minutes.  There are some good twists in the film and whilst it is not overly gorey or anything, it works really well. I have heard people call it a teens film and i can kinda agree with that but it was still worth watching.

• Upvote 1

I agree, it's really good. I was surprised to see the screenplay was written by major X-Men comics dude Scott Lobdell (who I always rated pretty highly). The cast elevate it above the fairly well-used premise, and me and Mrs. Treb got a strong Buffy / comic bookish vibe from it, much like Joss Whedon's stuff. 

This is one to rent on home video rather than see at your local 3 screen cinema, but I did kind of like it. 

I don't think it really has anything to elevate it above it's peers but I found it competent. I think most characters in it are stereotypical Hollywood versions of wealthy American dickheads though so there are maybe only one or two to care about.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, we watched this over the weekend as well. Was decent, even if it didn't have an original idea in its head. 

The lead actress elevated it. She was on screen throughout the entire film and carried it well. 

The lead actress was good, but the characters were obnoxious retreads and the script was heavily derivative. The movie was aimed at a 12-17yo female audience so I was clearly not the target demographic, but referencing Groundhog Day at the end didn't excuse the laziness. The horror aspect was too tame and there were plenty of plot holes and "why are you doing that?" moments due to the basic premise being glossed over rather quickly. But it was broadly entertaining and the mild, narrative-curl near the end surpassed my very low expectations.

2/5

Ah, I quite liked it. Yeah, there are some clichés but most of them have been largely untouched since the last time teen horror was in fashion 15-20 years ago.

As for the plot...

Spoiler

It would have been nice if they'd have not used the mother's death as a red herring, and the candle used in the car death telegraphed the ending a bit too much. Otherwise it's ok, the main girl has a nice character arc.

I watched the sequel a couple nights back.

It's actually quite a clever film, very different to the first and well worth a watch. If you didn't like the horror/murder aspect of the original it's worth a watch.

If you haven't seen any trailers, it's best to stay away for spoilers. I think i enjoyed the first film as it was quite fresh, but the storyline of this one still holds up pretty well.

• Upvote 1