rllmuk
SeanR

Blood and Truth

On 01/06/2019 at 12:16, AI1 said:

Anyone have difficulty aiming down sights with the Move controllers? It seems to obscure the headset and lights causing the in-game camera to jitter about.

This is an issue with every game where you have to ADS with the Moves - Superhot in particular suffers from this. The trick I find is to mount the camera as high as is sensible so it doesn't cross the Moves when you aim. 

Done, loved it and I'm looking forward to New Game Plus. Are people playing this stood up of sat down. It never feels quite right to be seated so I'm mostly on my feat. 

Sat down, it feels a bit weird, but I think I'd find the parts where you're auto-crouched behind cover even more weird standing up.

45 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sat down, it feels a bit weird, but I think I'd find the parts where you're auto-crouched behind cover even more weird standing up.

I stood up for the action bits then sat down for the dialogue bits as I always seem to get back ache when stood up in VR for too long

They should have just got rid of the forced crouching sections as they just don't work at all in my opinion.

This is great fun, the Guy Richie vibes are strong! The tracking isn't exactly wonderful, though - this game really shows the limitations of the Moves. PSVR2 is going to be exceptional when they fix this. Will be a generational leap forward even without any visual bells and whistles.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sumire said:

They should have just got rid of the forced crouching sections as they just don't work at all in my opinion.

Whereas for me they worked perfectly, and were some of my favourite parts. 

The conversational sections are killing this for me.  It's a game! It's meant to be interactive!  The game sections are so good that I'm praying that the cutscenes are skip-able on repeated play-through.

11 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The conversational sections are killing this for me.  It's a game! It's meant to be interactive!  The game sections are so good that I'm praying that the cutscenes are skip-able on repeated play-through.

I dunno, in the heist, being tied to the chair unable to do anything... that was pretty good.

I'll pick this up at some point. Probably digital, despite the £5 difference in price.

I think The Heist benefitted from being a launch title and a shorter experience. Most of us hadn't tried VR and the London Heist was a great introduction to it. 

Blood and Truth is good fun, but there's a lot of dialogue where you just sit there waiting for someone to stop talking so you can get back to playing the game.   Many of us have had our VR headsets for 3 years now and the surprise of VR and the "wow" of life size characters talking at you has been done. I'm probably halfway through it at the moment and I think it's a fantastic game. But right now, I doubt it has any replay value once you've done it.  Its more of a demonstration than a game and I think that once you've seen it, you've seen it.  The game is great when it's happening but some of these cut scenes have you sat doing nothing while someone tells you what you're about to do, for a full 5 minutes at a time.

I've said before that I'm going to play Resident Evil 7 again at some point, but there's a psychological barrier for me because I need to spend half an hour going through that tedious opening section that is all pre-scripted, boring and cannot be skipped. Yet in VR that opening half hour was fantastic the first couple of times. Its when you see that it's almost playing on its own until you start shooting things, you start to feel like it's too much of a chore to play through that to get to the good bit. And I think Blood and Truth is all about sitting through 10 minutes of chat to get 5 mins of shooting.  I think its a brilliant game but I can't see myself playing it a second time.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Whereas for me they worked perfectly, and were some of my favourite parts. 

Fair enough. How are you mean to do it properly though as I was stood up playing the game, then all of a sudden the camera kind of messed my view up. I guess I was meant to press the re-align button on my controller when those sections came up?

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Fair enough. How are you mean to do it properly though as I was stood up playing the game, then all of a sudden the camera kind of messed my view up. I guess I was meant to press the re-align button on my controller when those sections came up?

No, you're essentially "playing it wrong". You're supposed to be sat down the entire time, and the game decides for you when you're crouched or not. No amount of pressing the realign button will change that. So for those stealthy sections where you're crouched, I found myself leaning up a little to peek over the top and aim down the sights for a stealthy headshot. For me it worked really well, but I can see why anyone playing standing would find that completely fucked up. 

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, you're essentially "playing it wrong". You're supposed to be sat down the entire time, and the game decides for you when you're crouched or not. No amount of pressing the realign button will change that. So for those stealthy sections where you're crouched, I found myself leaning up a little to peek over the top and aim down the sights for a stealthy headshot. For me it worked really well, but I can see why anyone playing standing would find that completely fucked up. 

Duh, ok well I will give it a go tonight. Cheers.

Basically, if the character on screen was stood up I was, when he was sat I did in real life. 

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Duh, ok well I will give it a go tonight. Cheers.

Basically, if the character on screen was stood up I was, when he was sat I did in real life. 

Yeah that wouldnt work for this one. if a VR game has vertical scaling (ie takes your height into account in a standing position) it will generally have some form of calibration at the beginning where you input your height or it wll measure you.

4 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah that wouldnt work for this one. if a VR game has vertical scaling (ie takes your height into account in a standing position) it will generally have some form of calibration at the beginning where you input your height or it wll measure you.

Yeah, I just completed it, it was definitely a lot better just sat down. A great VR experience. I think I am going to play through it again!

Can you skip the cutscenes on a second play through? I just completed it and whilst it was very impressive (the last level being an amazing experience) I don't see that there's anything to make me play through it a second time. 

I don't think you can. As for replay value, I went through one of the more stealthy levels again and loved it. I find the game very tough when it throws enemies at you however and you have little cover. 

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

Can you skip the cutscenes on a second play through? I just completed it and whilst it was very impressive (the last level being an amazing experience) I don't see that there's anything to make me play through it a second time. 

You can pick levels, and the cutscenes are separated out it seems , so you can effectively skip them . But if you dived in for a second play through then I think you are stuck with them for now .

Decided to give this another go and try and finish it. I got halfway through level 17 and my guns disappeared. Now I can’t seem to continue at all. There doesn’t seem to be an option to restart the current level. I’ve tried rebooting a few times.

Any suggestions?

Given up with this now.  Can't get past the bug on level 17, and not about to start the whole thing again.  Shame, but quite happy to trade it in and get something else instead.  Some of the shooting/climbing sections were absolutely amazing, but the unskippable cut-scenes and this one massive bug have completely ruined it for me.

I might dip in again in a few months, once they've patched it so you can skip cut-scenes and fixed a few more of the bugs.  Some of it was great.  Certainly not tempted at the moment though.

I should really have asked this before now, leaving it to the last minute as usual - is this worth playing without move controllers? I see the aim controller isn't supported, which is unfortunate, and I don't have move controllers / am not exactly keen on paying £80 for a pair.

How's it with the standard DS4? Anyone able to chime in? I can buy a physical copy for £20, but I generally prefer digital for VR games and the sale ends soon.

15 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I should really have asked this before now, leaving it to the last minute as usual - is this worth playing without move controllers? I see the aim controller isn't supported, which is unfortunate, and I don't have move controllers / am not exactly keen on paying £80 for a pair.

How's it with the standard DS4? Anyone able to chime in? I can buy a physical copy for £20, but I generally prefer digital for VR games and the sale ends soon.

If you picture it in your mind, you look down and see two hands floating in front of you. These are your hands. If you have move controllers you can move your hands around independantly. If you have a DS4 you are wearing handcuffs.  Does that make sense? 

I wouldnt buy a set of move controllers just for Blood and Truth. The game is an experience, a 1 time playthrough. It's worth getting for £20 but whilst I loved it, the unbearably long cut scenes put me off playing it a second time.  It is brilliant while it lasts. 

Having said that, the move controllers are essential for so many other games like this, I'd recommend the move controllers to go with your VR headset anyway. If you only own Astrobot and Resident Evil 7 then you won't need them. But if you want to play Batman, Super hot, Beat Sabre, Ultrawings and many many more then you need to get some move controllers.  

Maybe trade in your Aim controller. I thought Farpoint was amazing but once the novelty wore off it's not been used much.