IGNORED

Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

Fargo

How age appropriate is this game for a (mature) kid, for his 14th birthday?

I see it's an 18. Aside from the blood-drenched swordplay (which I'm comfortable with), are there other things which would give it this certificate? ie, sexual violence or owt like that?

Earlier in the year I played through it twice, got the plat, but I don't remember anything like that.

This website might be helpful;

https://www.taminggaming.com/en-gb/game/Ghost+of+Tsushima

Spoiler

"Content Rating

Rated PEGI 18 due to frequent depictions of extreme violence towards human-like characters. During a number of missions, characters can be seen being decapitated and dismembered. In these instances, strong blood and gore effects are present on impact of the attack. The bodies then slump to the floor and remain there. This game also contains depictions of violence towards defenceless human characters. In these instances, characters are often restrained then beaten/killed. The most pertinent example of this is when an enemy solider is tied to a wooden stake and then burnt to death. He can be seen screaming in pain as his body and clothes catch alight. He then slumps down as his body burns.

Users Interact: The game enables players to interact and communicate with each other, so may expose players to language usually associated with older rated games."

Thanks, @Number 28 that's helpful. Hadn't seen that website before. The thing mentioned in the spoiler does sound pretty nasty. We've watched Squid Game together (which had a few moments that I regret letting him watch, but we talked about them, etc).

It's still a game though, and he's a sharp kid and knows what's bad. I just know that particular bit will be on when his mother walks into the room though!

EDIT: just watched the scene in question. That'll be fine. Well, not 'fine', but… fine.

I finally picked this up on PS5 last week, after stalling for ages.  I've just got to the new content, and am absolutely loving it.  Even revisiting the original story is proving to be great fun.  Not sure I'll platinum it again, as there are a LOT of side quests, but it's really engaging so far.  I should have done this much sooner.

ghost.thumb.jpg.615b5bcc909237a5311239123b1e7d18.jpg

I reached the end of the main story today, took me the best part of a year but what an amazing game, I still can’t believe the world they built, so much detail, so beautiful, great stories and music and for it to have been on the PS4 too, amazing.

I’ve still got Iki Island to do so it’s not all over 😀 plus there’s Legends mode which is fantastic too.

I think the end fight, and everything around it, it one of the best endings to any game ever. Properly emotional and so magnificently presented. After finishing it I went back and watched it on YouTube several times. The score is incredible. 

Looking forward to getting there on PS5 one day. I stopped after Act 1 to do Iki Island, but back on the main story now.

2 hours ago, catinthehat said:

I think the end fight, and everything around it, it one of the best endings to any game ever. Properly emotional and so magnificently presented. After finishing it I went back and watched it on YouTube several times. The score is incredible. 

Agreed, a terrific ending.

• 2 weeks later...

It is! - I started this a few weeks ago and have not rushed it. Completing the side quests etc as I go and I am now into Act 2. Looking forward to finishing it over xmas and it sure is a looker on PS5.  Combat is great most of the time as well.

Have played around 10 hours so far over Xmas. I absolutely love it. The theme is beautifully realised, the combat is really satisfying (especially the standoffs), it’s not too hard on Medium, and it is so so pretty. 

I looked at a couple of reviews and was surprised at how underwhelmed the likes of Edge and Polygon were. Perhaps it’s because I’ve never played any Assassins Creed games, but it all just feels way above average. And some of the boss battles feel really dramatic, too. There’s enough direction if you want to follow the story, and enough distractions if you just want to go exploring. 

It’s obviously not, and would never be, Breath if the Wild, but it’s a lovely world to exist in (aside from all the dead bodies), and it really feels like a lot of love and care has been put into it. 

Thank goodness I read about it here. 

We have it on a PS4 Pro, hooked up to a cheap (non-HD) projector, so possibly the worst way to play it, aside from the fact the projection fills a wall. 

It’s the biggest first world problem ever to complain about the resolution of the projector on a high-end games console, though. 

(would love to splurge on a 1080p projector, but really can’t afford/justify an extra £2-300 right after Xmas, with a long list of things in the house that need fixing)

On 01/01/2022 at 19:04, davejm said:

Is it better to turn on the target lock-on option?  Or better to leave off as default?

Having it permanently on drove me crazy, as most of the time you're fighting multiple enemies that can each attack at any moment. I eventually switched to the 'off until you press up on the d-pad' option, and that was much better.

This is a bit good isn't it?! 😀

The combat is really satisfying.  Arrows, kunai, sticky bombs, stance options, sword play.  It's brilliant so far.  I'm avoiding stealth where possible, as I love the combat so much.

And it's sooooo beautiful on my OLED.  Stunning! 🥰

Yeah, I had a £20 PSN gift card for my birthday the other day, so put that toward the upgrade for the director's cut. On PS5 this is stunning, and doesn't appear to really need performance mode. 

It's just a joy to play.  I'm almost done with my PS5 playthrough now, and mentally preparing myself for the ending.  I ticked off all the Iki Island trophies as well, and just about 100% on the rest of it, too.  The only thing I've not tried yet is Legends Mode.  Maybe next week. Just need to go and explore a bit over there...

image.thumb.png.f8103896395a58db64d9c425e2578992.png

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know out of interest if the "Directors Cut" version of this has all the extras as part of the disk package or is there a single use code in the pack for the DLC? Thanks...

25 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Anyone know out of interest if the "Directors Cut" version of this has all the extras as part of the disk package or is there a single use code in the pack for the DLC? Thanks...

All on the disc.

I’m still really enjoying this. Just opened up the second part of the map, but am going back to do a bit of unfinished business in the first area. I’m by no means a 100% kind of person, but when you’re told there are actual people that need rescuing, well it’s the honourable thing to do, isn’t it?

And the combat is satisfyingly… chunky? Yeah, chunky. That shield-breaking stance, you really feel the THWACK when you smash a fool’s shield. 

Love the idea of the black and white mode, but the colours are so nice it’s hard to switch. 

23 hours ago, Twinbee said:

I’m still really enjoying this. Just opened up the second part of the map, but am going back to do a bit of unfinished business in the first area. I’m by no means a 100% kind of person, but when you’re told there are actual people that need rescuing, well it’s the honourable thing to do, isn’t it?

And the combat is satisfyingly… chunky? Yeah, chunky. That shield-breaking stance, you really feel the THWACK when you smash a fool’s shield. 

Love the idea of the black and white mode, but the colours are so nice it’s hard to switch. 

Me too! Just started this tonight after been on the fence for a while about it took the plunge with the PS5 DC version.

Love it. The setting, the visuals, the music. OK its fairly violent but given the time period its set in understandably so. Brutal. The combat is meaty and well graceful IMHO. Makes a welcome change from the constant racket from guns etc. Much more peaceful and I'd say elegant.

Great game. One of the most next gen looking games I've played so far. 

Looks like with this, Horizon Zero Dawn and GT7 there is enough to keep me busy for a while... :D 

I've finally got started on this too, currently maybe ten or so hours in, though I'm finding progress very gradual so far. Not because the game itself is too slow but more that any time I go to play later on in the evening, I find the game tends to just make me incredibly sleepy and I end up going to bed. Not that it's boring either - I really like the combat - but it's the way that, between those battles, you're peacefully exploring this gorgeous environment with the constant, possibly quite ASMRish, wind passing through the trees and surrounding you with mesmerising whirls of colour. Honestly, I'm feeling more relaxed just describing it. Quite a surreal experience so far with this contradiction of brutal violence and gentle, hypnotic beauty.

Catching up with some of the earlier thread, I'm surprised by the complaints about its generic open world structure. I feel almost precisely the opposite about it so far. I have read that there are huge numbers of the different collectibles so I can believe that, later on, it becomes a bit of a chore if you see it through, but people seemed to be talking about even the early stages. So far it strikes me as one of the most natural open world games I've played, with almost nothing intruding to take you out of the experience. I absolutely love the navigation system: there's nothing more draining to your sense of immersion than a minimap or a permanent floating signpost on the screen, but here I'm free to wander around taking in the stunning vistas guided by nothing more than an almost subconscious impression of the direction in which the breeze is taking me.