Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

I've been playing this for the last couple of days. It's okay! I like that the stealth seems to work on a make noise, draw out lads, then go and hide again flow that I enjoyed so much in The Last of Us 2. It's obviously just Assassin's Creed Samurai but that's not the worst thing in the world. Quick question, a mate of mine wants to get into the multiplayer, will it ruin the single player in any way if I do that? I'd rather not have all of the fun toys spoiled for me, when's the best time to get involved with it? 

I doubt it spoils plot elements, but I think it does give you access to weapons and stances that you mightn’t have yet.

I’m leaving it until I finish the campaign.

And done.

Apart from that massively annoying narrative mis-step, which I’ve moaned about plenty upthread, and which I eventually got over :lol:, that was close to gaming heaven for me.

9/10.

I nearly caved and bought Returnal today, but I want to finish this. I’m at the beginning of Act 3 and really enjoying it now, but it is one of the slowest burning games I’ve ever played. The first 25 hours are full of the pointless stuff I’ve moaned about and it really only hits its stride after that. If it weren’t for the combat being so satisfying, I would have binned it off long ago - and even that takes about 10+ hours to unlock all the stances. 

I started this yesterday.

I was expecting more to be honest. I feel like the mechanics are solid enough. The combat is good and I like the look of the upgrades, they seem useful. The combat camera sucks though.

Obviously it looks splendid but I can’t help think that this games biggest flaw is the fact it follows the open world template.

I’m at a point in gaming now where I already know this is going to be an over long slog, it’s going to be filled with pointless side quests, vast amounts of needless running and riding, copious amounts of ‘follow the NPC and have some chit chat along the way’ and a bunch of secret thing here but can’t see how to get to secret thing stuff.

So I’ve decided. I’m going to main line the story, not bother with the secret nonsense, run or ride as fast as possible to ignore the chit chat and use fast travel as much as possible.

30 hours into this now (I've been taking my time) and (think - see below) I've pretty much finished off the first area/act.

Spoiler

Now I've got to the second act somehow the mongols have retaken some areas in the first section again so I'm going back to liberate those too.

Overall I'm enjoying it still but I can see where some of the - let's face it fairly traditional open world - comments and complaints come from.

I have spent a long time riding around clearing fog with a massively ungenerous clearance radius (despite all the upgrades) and there is no doubt some of the side content feels a bit like busy work in places. But actually because it's such a good looking game, pretty chilled out for large chunks, and has a nice stealth/combat ratio and fairly satisfying mechanics I'm not feeling burnt out by it at all yet.

Story wise I'm enjoying it. I can't say I've had my mind blown yet but it is doing the job on the whole. From the sounds of it the games gets going a bit more from here on in so I'm keeping an open mind. I'm just loving the full samurai/ninja vibe as it's like going back through my old DVD collection as a teenager when I was obsessed with all things ninja/samurai/martial arts (hence my gamertag!).

My completionist streak means I can't leave little pockets of map covered, and if something is there to be done I'm doing it, so I can see this being probably quite a long one for me. I put 85 hours into Horizon (and DLC) in the end and only really felt the grind the last 5 hours or so, but I'm really hoping this one can see itself back in the box within 50-60 or I worry I may fade on it a little.

When you eventually liberate the bottom third of the island of Mongol bases and locations it removes all the remaining foggy bits for you, so you don’t need to do that yourself. It’s nice, as it reveals all the other ‘?’ symbols you might have missed.

The way they’ve paced the game is pretty horrible. I think you’re supposed to get on and complete Act 1 quite early on as it’s after that that most of the game’s mechanics and activities really open up. It’s so odd if you’ve done it your way round and cleared the whole area to then suddenly be given a load of extra tasks to do.

The game is full of those weird choices. The build up to you getting the grappling hook is so odd - it’s alluded to like some high tech crazy bit of tech you’re going to be getting and then it’s a hook on a rope. And 35 hours in (Act 3) I’m running into people who look at me like I’ve got Batman tier gadgets when I chuck a rope up a cliff and slowly climb up it.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

When you eventually liberate the bottom third of the island of Mongol bases and locations it removes all the remaining foggy bits for you, so you don’t need to do that yourself. It’s nice, as it reveals all the other ‘?’ symbols you might have missed.

Oooh, is that the same for each of the regions?

If so I think I'll stick a bit more to the main line quests and liberating things rather spending hours riding in large zigzag patterns through a forest to uncover every square centimetre of fog manually! (and then getting distracted by photo mode en route). :lol:

@HarryBizzle I've literally just unlocked the grapple last night and despite quite liking how it works in game I was a bit like "oh... an iron hook on some rope" after all the build up. It hasn't detracted from game overall though, just a slightly misjudged beat for me.

Also, I'm not sure I'll ever get bored of a decent stand-off in beautiful scenery. "Show me your skill"

I agree with everything on the strange structure. If you don’t blast through the main story the game is too slow-paced and not varied enough, very few of the side missions do anything interesting in terms of gameplay. 

The problem is that loads of the side missions flesh out all your buddies, so it feels like you’re missing out on important story if you don’t do them even though they really needed to be cut down. I really like the Ishikawa and Masako plot lines but there is no way that they required nine separate missions each. 

The other big issue with just sticking to the main plot is that it doesn’t take you to nearly enough of the bloody map, which is a real failing in a game where the atmosphere of the world is one of the main selling points.

Yeah, the side missions are really padded out. I can't be bothered with the Norio or Kenji ones. Has anyone done them, and are they any good? I'm coming close to the end, I think. Going to kick Khotun Khan's head in, good and proper.

Yep, the skill quest that had you looking at paintings of scenery to work out where to go was just wonderful stuff. Did that early on, and that was when it had me. And each of the signature duels in these amazing locations were just incredibly evocative too.

It’s a game to savour, not race through. Take your time, wander, do the side quests, it’s an absolute labour of love, and hands down the best open world in all of gaming.

21 minutes ago, jonamok said:

hands down the best open world in all of gaming.

That’s some praise. I haven’t played it, but is the world really better than BoTW or Cyberpunk?

I haven’t played Cyberpunk but the world is in no way better than BOTW. Everything in it is signposted and the game is obsessive about its handholding. There is no sense of discovery or any real reward for exploring. You’ll be trying to explore and then a bright yellow bird will start circling you, demanding you follow it to something that would be much more interesting if you just came across it naturally. 

Unfortunately, Sucker Punch have binned off all their amazing world traversal stuff from the Sly Cooper and Infamous games in this. (Which makes it all the more bizarre that they build up to this traversal thing and then it’s a rudimentary grappling hook that you can’t use except on marked points which are few and far between). 

It’s very pretty, though. Basically Japanese Assassin’s Creed.