Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

24 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Hang on - the raid is good?

Very good!

The whole Legends package is great, 9 co-op story missions with interesting mechanics, a brilliant horde mode and a 3 part raid to test everything you've learned.

While it pains me to admit it, I agree with Takizawa.  Legends is extremely good.  As in, if I'd paid £20 for it I wouldn't be angry.

My only criticism of the raid would be that it needs checkpoints.  It has checkpoints for respawning withing a chapter, but you have to complete the entire chapter in a sitting or you're forced to start over.  Chapter one took us a few hours on the first attempt while we were learning what to do (Destiny VoG style), but we quit right before finishing and had to start over the next day.  Second go only took us an hour and a quarter because the time is spent in the learning (Destiny VoG style).  Chapter 2 took us about five hours I think :lol:. I was exhausted by the end, but it felt so good when we nailed it.  A co-op feeling I haven't had since that very first win on Vault of Glass (Destiny VoG style). We still have chapter 3 to go!

I think it would be better if they'd copied the Destiny model wholesale and had stages within a chapter with a random loot drop, where it saves everyone's progress if you need to stop.  That would also mean you could sub other players in and it would still be worth their while even if they just did a stage because they'd still get a little something for it.  It would also encourage replaying the raid if you only had a chance at getting some parts of sets as a reward.  But it's absolutely brilliant and very, very close in feel to Vault of Glass (have I mentioned that?) and also in size, I think.  By the latter days of Destiny our group was doing VoG runs in a couple of hours and I can imagine this being similar.  The only other thing it misses from Destiny is the Titan shoulder charge for barging teammates (Scruff) off cliffs.

On top of the story and survival modes it's astounding that this was a free update.  In these days of barebones GaaS and loot boxes, people should be shouting from the rooftops about what Sucker Punch have done here.

32 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

While it pains me to admit it, I agree with Takizawa.  Legends is extremely good.  As in, if I'd paid £20 for it I wouldn't be angry.

My only criticism of the raid would be that it needs checkpoints.  It has checkpoints for respawning withing a chapter, but you have to complete the entire chapter in a sitting or you're forced to start over.  Chapter one took us a few hours on the first attempt while we were learning what to do (Destiny VoG style), but we quit right before finishing and had to start over the next day.  Second go only took us an hour and a quarter because the time is spent in the learning (Destiny VoG style).  Chapter 2 took us about five hours I think :lol:. I was exhausted by the end, but it felt so good when we nailed it.  A co-op feeling I haven't had since that very first win on Vault of Glass (Destiny VoG style). We still have chapter 3 to go!

I think it would be better if they'd copied the Destiny model wholesale and had stages within a chapter with a random loot drop, where it saves everyone's progress if you need to stop.  That would also mean you could sub other players in and it would still be worth their while even if they just did a stage because they'd still get a little something for it.  It would also encourage replaying the raid if you only had a chance at getting some parts of sets as a reward.  But it's absolutely brilliant and very, very close in feel to Vault of Glass (have I mentioned that?) and also in size, I think.  By the latter days of Destiny our group was doing VoG runs in a couple of hours and I can imagine this being similar.  The only other thing it misses from Destiny is the Titan shoulder charge for barging teammates (Scruff) off cliffs.

On top of the story and survival modes it's astounding that this was a free update.  In these days of barebones GaaS and loot boxes, people should be shouting from the rooftops about what Sucker Punch have done here.

This all sounds great, I will never be able to arrange 5 hours of gaming time so may tap your or @Takizawa to see if you can show us through once we have our Ki scores up high enough.

What I have loved so far is the mix of mechanics is brings; yesterday we were playing the second story mission on Bronze. We had to take out three guys who recharge the health of everyone around them, whilst juggling (re-charging) foot soldiers and Archers.  All the while a "terminator" bear is roaming around who is very aggressive, very strong and absolutely won't stop chasing you until you are dead.  We must have spent 45 minutes just unpicking that level, using stealth, aggression, our abilities and gear. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the same boat. I’m on Act 2 now. I’ve been mopping up all the side quests first before continuing the main story but don’t fancy doing all the shrines, foxes, bamboo, haiku and flowers fully until I’ve completed it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm hooked been playing this almost every day for over a week now & I really love the setting as I knew I would, the standoff sequences are my favourite. If you enjoy your open world games then definetly give this a try. In my open world gaming list it comes in just after Horizon Zero Dawn & The Witcher 3.

I've been playing this on PS4 for a few weeks now and am in the second area- did the

Spoiler

Yakiwara liberation mission(s)

and they were some of the best levels I've played in anything in a long time- multi-staged, cinematic  and properly epic feeling. Fantastic stuff.

On 02/12/2020 at 21:53, Marlew said:

@HarryBizzle Doesn't make any difference on PS5, I don't think. I leave it on Resolution Mode because it's a rock solid 60.

I tried them both and it does seem to actually switch between the resolutions, but have kept it on prioritise resolution, because as you say, it’s a locked 60fps. 

They should probably just disable the 1080p mode, but it’s kind of cool to flick between them and see the difference. 

As far as I’m aware the “firefly” is part of the Traveler’s Attire outfit and only appears when you’re near a collectible. It was patched into the game after launch. If you don’t want to use it, you can just change to a different outfit and use the controller’s vibration to track stuff down, as you had to do when the game first came out.

According to the PS5 game stats I’ve played this for 150hrs and I’m still quite a way off finishing it and have yet to touch Legends mode! Quality game and looks stunning on PS5.

Completed! This had me hooked for the last 2 weeks loved the setting, combat and story. The map screen is not full of icons like an AC game and the minimal/non existent UI shows off the beauty of the game. Glad I waited to play this on the PS5 it runs smoothly and loads super quick.

I won’t say much about the story you really have to play it to enjoy but I love the ending. Best game I’ve played this year.

I’m really enjoying this, but I do wish there was a way to turn off the golden birds, or that they were at least less intrusive. I’m in the middle of a fight and the bloody thing is flapping around trying to get me to follow it, or I’m about to save someone from being tortured and one is trying to take me off to write a Haiku.

I also just really like plodding around exploring the world, but it seems even pretty mundane things that would be nice to stumble across have these annoying birds leading to them.

On 02/11/2020 at 16:09, Uncle Mike said:

Hang on - the raid is good?

Haven't played it myself but have only heard praise for it.

Some people REALLY like it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/11/03/ghost-of-tsushimas-stellar-legends-raid-cements-its-goty-contender-status/

I won’t get into spoilers here, but it is challenging and extremely well done, especially considering no one ever thought that anything like this was going to crop up in Tsushima, a game which sure, had some challenging story missions, but nothing on this scale, and in many ways, the content Legends has added is much, much more interesting and complex than anything from the base game, even if it lacks the sprawling open world and the same level of a compelling story (though its mini-tales aren’t bad).

I ordered this on Curry's eBay store in the end for £34.99 which seems pretty good, supposedly arriving tomorrow. Is the raid stuff they added strictly online? Because I don't have PS+... It's not so much of a worry seeing as there's a huge open world game to get stuck into, but I'm curious.

8t0JyGh.jpg

This game is absolutely beautiful in places. I'm mostly enjoying it, but I think it's a little bit shallow. I was hoping for the grappling hook to be a game changer, but it's really not - at least not the one I have (I don't know if you get upgrades for it).

It's like a prettier Assassin's Creed, but feel like it somehow has less depth. Still enjoying it, but a lot of it feels quite forgettable. Lots of style, not much substance.