Ghost of Tsushima - New Sucker Punch IP

17 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Why don’t more games do that? Even Cyberpunk had pop ups in the desert video some weeks ago. For me a solid open world is so important for immersion.

Optimising for a single platform’s behaviour essentially.  Plus there’s Sony’s ice team who are there to make sure their internal games make their machine look good so help out with things like optimisation and pushing tech - they’re responsible for things in the Uncharted games like water, sand, snow.

As much as this isn't doing anything fundamentally revolutionary or unique, I do really really like how it's handling the usual 'Ubi' tropes. The climbing up to the shrines feels kind of Uncharted but also with some lighter puzzle elements at times. It feels just that bit more involved. Likewise, the crickets and foxes and similar all feel familiar but with just a little more player input and decision making and reliance on environmental cues to make them feel more satisfying. Clearing the camps, again, the stand-off mechanic is a great extra layer to it. The guiding wind is a really rather elegant replacement for the minimap/follow the line open world stuff which can blight even the best of them. Couple all this with a very well designed, intuitive, varied, inviting map and an increasingly deep and satisfying combat system, and this is one hell of an open world game while still hitting some familiar beats. 

Great game/10.

I think this is really good. Beautiful open world, swordfighting feels fun. What's not to love? The core loop is compelling enough for me. 

@U-1 seeing what you do with photo mode in this is jaw dropping. It’s a seriously good looking game but your shots are something else. 

Combat really clicking now - just ran at a couple of enemies, leapt, slammed a sword through the first one’s neck, span around, perfect parried the second and watched him slump to his knees and collapse to his knees before I put him out of his misery. It was fucking brilliant. 

Just now, teddymeow said:

ShopTo do £55 of PSN credit for a little under £48 if that's any better?

Thanks man I appreciate the advice, however I've already done it, it was £49 which I'm quite happy with,  I won't get to play till tomorrow but I'm looking forward to laying down some honour on the mongol horde.

Great shots all!

I’m loving this and the way it all flows from one distraction to another peppered with some great combat. Much prefer this to the Ubi collectathons and this feels more tranquil in a BOTW way.

Also kudos to the programmers for the fast travel - amazingly quick.

Tonight’s lesson... do not panic. Yes, you are surrounded. Yes, you are out of Kunai. Yes, you are you out smoke. But breathe...... breathe Jin. 

*Gentle sound of wind blowing through the trees*

Water stance. Block, block, dodge... pierce stab, 1 DOWN. Step back, 3 left. 2 swords, 1 shield. Breathe.

*Slow inhale*

Sheild cunt perfect parried, quick, heavy, heavy. 2 DOWN. Stone stance. Block, dod, FUCK... step back, health. Block, normal parry, quick, hea, cheeky bastard, perfect parry, heavy, heavy, 3 DOWN. Slowly rotate round terrified Mongol, drop guard, breathe... dodge, quick, heavy. 4 DOWN.

That was the final encounter of a base I just cleared. I was all over the place trying to get my position and figure out what I was dealing with before this played out. I’m still miles away from being able to do shit like that consistently but fuck me when it comes together!

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Loving how this game looks. I'll be definitely picking this up at some point. Just want to get LoU2 finished first!

I ended up rushing the ending of TLOU2 in order to start this.

I regret doing that as, despite TLOU2 outstaying its welcome by many more than a few hours,  I'd much rather be still pushing on through that. Going to give Ghost a few more days but,  mentally, I think I am  finished with this already as it has nothing new to offer...

Cor, bloody hell. I've just finished the quest for Uchitsune's cursed bow. Slight spoilers:

Spoiler

The yamabushi tengu fight is almost Sekiro level, with its reliance on pure parrying and counterattacks. Very impressive rhythm to the combat. I like the way the game alludes to fantastical, mythical elements without explicitly making you fight against demons or ghosts. 

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

I ended up rushing the ending of TLOU2 in order to start this.

I regret doing that as, despite TLOU2 outstaying its welcome by many more than a few hours,  I'd much rather be still pushing on through that. Going to give Ghost a few more days but,  mentally, I think I am  finished with this already as it has nothing new to offer...

Thats it, punish this naughty game for forcing you to rush the end of Last of Us!

How dare it do that. ;)

On 18/07/2020 at 23:22, Hitcher said:

A bit unfair comparing it to a game that was 6 years in the making and cost over $100 million.

Didn’t sucker punch start making this after infamous 2 came out in 2014? I can’t imagine the budget for Ghost being comparatively small, either.