ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

12 hours ago, dumpster said:

Well, I hate to be the voice of negativity but after picking this up for eight quid at Cex, I find myself in a weird state of mind with this game.  It should be right up my street because it looks like a mad fast arcade racer, but there's no start and finish lines and the game actively encourages boosting all the time and it wants you to crash into the other vehicles.  So in summary, I have won the first few races with absolutely no idea what the hell is going on.  Boosting seems to make you go so fast that you end up crashing into a tree, because the handling doesn't allow you to react.  I drive around, crash a lot and eventually it says "your team won!"  and you go onto the next level.  I have no idea how to play, get good, what to do, what to avoid doing.  Someone, please share advice - what the hell am I doing wrong?  Why am I not feeling the love?

If you read back through the thread, that's pretty much the default position many of us found ourselves in with this game, unfortunately.  There were a few who loved it, and perhaps one of them will be able to shed some light on what they managed to get out of it, but I've never been able to get into this at all.  I tried it again recently on PS4 when it was added to PS+, but it's just the same.  It's a confusing mess of a game.

2 hours ago, catinthehat said:

If you read back through the thread, that's pretty much the default position many of us found ourselves in with this game, unfortunately.  There were a few who loved it, and perhaps one of them will be able to shed some light on what they managed to get out of it, but I've never been able to get into this at all.  I tried it again recently on PS4 when it was added to PS+, but it's just the same.  It's a confusing mess of a game.

So strange, I went back through the thread and there's one page (with a post from me on it, so I must have been reading about that time) where every comment is people loving this game.  Every other page seems to be the odd pleasantry with everyone else slating it.  But the comments being made match my experience entirely.  I too bought the game based on seeing the thread here, which is has the words "arcade racer" in the title. I expected an arcade racer with takedowns, kind of a Motorstorm meets Burnout 3.  But it's nothing like anything I've played before and now I'm starting to understand what it is, I'm not enjoying it.  @JPickford commented earlier that he doesn't want to win or lose based on the actions of the other team members, and I think that sums it up.  Too much going on, loads of bells and whistles, and no clue on how I keep winning.  I'm always boosting, always at the back, wanting to get up front then remembering you're not supposed to be doing that, dropping back and not feeling the love at all.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

So strange, I went back through the thread and there's one page (with a post from me on it, so I must have been reading about that time) where every comment is people loving this game.  Every other page seems to be the odd pleasantry with everyone else slating it.  But the comments being made match my experience entirely.  I too bought the game based on seeing the thread here, which is has the words "arcade racer" in the title. I expected an arcade racer with takedowns, kind of a Motorstorm meets Burnout 3.  But it's nothing like anything I've played before and now I'm starting to understand what it is, I'm not enjoying it.  @JPickford commented earlier that he doesn't want to win or lose based on the actions of the other team members, and I think that sums it up.  Too much going on, loads of bells and whistles, and no clue on how I keep winning.  I'm always boosting, always at the back, wanting to get up front then remembering you're not supposed to be doing that, dropping back and not feeling the love at all.

The way I viewed it was that its an arcade game with cars in it. Forget the "racing" bit. So its basically about going for it round a track trying to take as many opponents out as you can or achieving the goals for the event being played. Once your mindset shifts from "racing" into "multiplayer arcade game" then it helps with enjoyment. Still pick up and play this when I want an hour or so of fun - I enjoy it because its something a bit different, has off-roaders and it feels like total anarchy when playing.

Each of the cars classes have differing abilities which can be used to tactical advantage... once you get the hang of whats happening its great fun.. just stick with it, there are also tutorial videos to show you the types of event and what the features/abilities of each car are.

for a while around the beta everybody was being terribly polite because the lead guy was posting here, and nobody wanted to just steam in when he was posting behind the scene videos called 'find the fun' that they'd failed to do exactly that.

think I posted something polite about this seems very polished but isn't my thing - in reality though my feelings towards it were more scathing. 

not advocating we chase every dev out of town telling them their game they've slaved on for months is rubbish, but I'll take views of people playing a game in a thread where the dev is active with a bit more scepticism

It was definitely born/greenlit from the stance of an online team based game. You can see it was going for a type of car based Overwatch thing. Whether this was the devs idea or more forced by the market and Codemasters only someone like Rushy could answer. But I definitely think it was pitched that way, what with arcade racers being non grata with publishers it was probably an in from the devs. It'll be huge! And the quote above about not wanting to feel like the bots in your team caused the win, well with your regular online team that would probably feel good personally, you and your boys/girls won, satisfaction. Trouble is no one wanted to play it online as part of a team, they wanted a satisfying solo experience and from playing it myself, it just wasn't there. Like I say as part of a kick arse team with wingmen and people appointed roles it may somehow work but it wasn't embraced by that crowd and it was a poor single player experience. I loved everything the Evo devs put out but got nothing from Onrush, but then it wasn't aimed at me. A failed experiment if ever there was one.

@dumpster your impressions pretty much mirror my own. I only bothered with multiplayer and got an evenings “enjoyment” out of it, but ultimately it was a confusing, overly brash and unsatisfying experience. Never really felt in control, but worse didnt feel my actions had much bearing on results, even if you got an MVP reward or felt like you had a good match. It  was just boring really. Shame, as in principle it was right up my street too. 

N-one was more disappointed than me when the Beta finally arrived as I was fully expecting an arcade racer, but was hoping it would turn up on PS+ and I am having a bit of fun with it. It is, as others have said, a flawed experiment, but I found it a blast to play in short bursts as I don't have many arcade style pick up and play for 20 minutes games.

I do think it's a shame that development was pushed in the direction of the multiplayer as there is a great racer in there wanting to get out, but I'll be keeping it on my hard drive for the foreseeable future

Finally got round to playing this (via PS+) and I have to say, it's a confusing game.

It looks like Motorstorm, sounds like Motorstorm and drives like Motorstorm. Is it Motorstorm? No.

I won a few games, no idea how or why though. As most others have said, it's a shame it doesn't have a race mode.

On 16/12/2018 at 22:39, dumpster said:

Well, I hate to be the voice of negativity but after picking this up for eight quid at Cex, I find myself in a weird state of mind with this game.  It should be right up my street because it looks like a mad fast arcade racer, but there's no start and finish lines and the game actively encourages boosting all the time and it wants you to crash into the other vehicles.  So in summary, I have won the first few races with absolutely no idea what the hell is going on.  Boosting seems to make you go so fast that you end up crashing into a tree, because the handling doesn't allow you to react.  I drive around, crash a lot and eventually it says "your team won!"  and you go onto the next level.  I have no idea how to play, get good, what to do, what to avoid doing.  Someone, please share advice - what the hell am I doing wrong?  Why am I not feeling the love?

Because it’s not very good. I played it to rank 20/25, trying to find that spark and it’s just not there. It’s really hollow.