rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rushy

ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

I'm really so sorry to hear this, but I have to admit that's a useless pleasantry as I didn't buy the game. I tried the beta and quite enjoyed it but over the following couple of weeks I didn't feel any pull to play more of it. I understand and really respect the desire and ambition to do something new but obviously there's no audience for it. It wasn't especially well communicated what the game is in the longer term so two free play events are probably the best way to get people in. I think the reaction was probably unfortunate, though, in that a fair number of people even on here were either more confused or less keen after playing it.

ARMS was similar, actually. Quite a negative early reaction, mostly negative from the test punch events and it only flourished (kinda) based on sustained support both from the devs and - ultimately - the community. 

I think the time of year it was released in wasn't ideal, certainly in the UK we've had a great summer and the World Cup so it got lost amidst the shuffle. I think the pricing was wrong, had it launched at £30 then that is more take a punt territory for a lot of people.  It is even more galling since they launched it at a high price, it sold poorly and within a matter of weeks it was down to a sub £30 price point which is arguably should have launched at. 

They had the betas and the free weekends but I also think an on demand demo would have been useful.  It is a game people really need to play to work out what it is and not everyone is aware of a private beta or around during a time when it has a free weekend. 

• Upvote 5

Crikey, that's brutal.

Crazy that Codemasters would rather let all that talent go to other companies rather than develop their skills and guide them into other projects. 

How does it work? Are teams advised that if their game fails to achieve a certain amount of sales their jobs are at risk? Or is this just a given working in the industry now?

• Upvote 3

Such a shame. I am apparently one of the many who did not buy this because, well... I thought it was rather expensive. After the demo which I admittedly enjoyed it just screamed 25 quid, not 55 of whatever it was.

Good luck to Rushy and the others.

A dev team generally wouldn’t concern itself with sales. Like most employees they want a stable job and ideally bonuses. As I mentioned above they probably feel some fortune that rather than gone under when Sony dumped them they’ve had a job since, and finished a game.

codemasters I can only second guess but supporting a large studio costing salaries and benefits that’s “off campus” probably never featured in their plans at all, they just wanted a game to fill a hole.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Crikey, that's brutal.

Crazy that Codemasters would rather let all that talent go to other companies rather than develop their skills and guide them into other projects. 

How does it work? Are teams advised that if their game fails to achieve a certain amount of sales their jobs are at risk? Or is this just a given working in the industry now?

• Upvote 3

Sorry to hear the news. I did buy it despite me scathing its lack of actual racing but gutted it'll slow down the potential  of more original racing games. Maybe like burnout Devs you could produce a small idea on Steam first and then hook a publisher that way? 

Maybe look to bigben interactive?

Read the codies...

Its all rather ironic about the pricing point argument. You'd think they'd understand budget games by now. 

• Upvote 1

A real shame - I picked it up on sale and absolutely love it despite my initial misgivings. Hope everyone effected is ok. 

• Upvote 2

Bought, and enjoyed it and I'm not a car/racing fan.

Wrong time of year just at E3, too expensive and a very hard game to pitch without actually playing it.

Best of luck to everyone as it was a very technically polished and fun game with great reviews.

Very sorry for Rushy and others in the team.  He always comes across as a top bloke and happy to respond to us with our questions here on rllmuk.  I actually bought the game at the weekend seeing as it was reduced in Smyths (£24.99 on Xbox) and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  It's odd as the reviews are excellent across the board for the game so I can only imagine the full price on release and time of year for launch (Summer /World Cup etc) did not help it's cause.   Best of luck to Rushy, hope something comes up.

• Upvote 3

I thought it was rubbish to be honest. It felt like a secondary game mode made into a full price game. The presentation was awful and outdated. I'm not entirely sure how it got greenlit. Maybe saw how a game like Rocket League became a success with vehicle based gameplay. 

Still, despite that view, a talented team worked on it and I'm sure those involved will be ok the industry. Not everything works out, but sadly that's the cutthroat world of gaming. Let's hope they bounce back. 

• Upvote 2

Game with a ton of cosmetics to unlock. I could see this doing well as a F2P using the Fortnite model, almost like for like...

Rush-Bucks as a currency. 

Race Pass - New one every 10 weeks with the daily and weekly challenges, with a theme for each pass. 

Ability to just buy skins, emotes, etc or unlock them without the random element of a lootbox. 

I picked it up on sale and I am enjoying it, was hoping it would have some legs as it is a refreshingly new idea in a pretty tired genre. 

• Upvote 1

Shame...

Problem as mentioned was one of timing I guess and to a degree price.

Personally didn't think what was on offer was worth £45... just didn't scratch that racing itch. Well that was part of the problem for me no racing as such... without any racing it kind of fell apart a bit for me. Anyway... be intesting to see what the next projects are... does make me wonder though if this will further reduce the number of arcade racers we get going forward.

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Game with a ton of cosmetics to unlock. I could see this doing well as a F2P using the Fortnite model, almost like for like...

Rush-Bucks as a currency. 

Race Pass - New one every 10 weeks with the daily and weekly challenges, with a theme for each pass. 

Agree this would have been a better proposition.. even just make it a PS-Plus game and work with Sony.

Also guessing to a degree Forntie mania is probably distracting lots of people from other games. And its essentially free too....

1,000 physical copies sold.

Ouch.

Gutted to hear this. I went back to this when they did the demo and price drop and it's actually great fun, so I picked it up for £25 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. But it still doesn't feel like it's full price title. 

1,000 copies sold tho, daaaayum

Harsh on Rushy and these guys to be laid off twice in a row and they could have had a hit for Codemasters but I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone that a racing game that didn’t feature racing wasn’t that hit.

All I wanted was a spiritual successor to Motorstorm. They took the hard route.  

• Upvote 3

What is kind of actually reasonably refreshing is that the guys with creative direction/etc have been let go.

Too often there is a lack of accountability nearer the top / for those guys who've decided what to make and how. Then the lower downs get cast aside because the game fails.

All those senior types who've lost their jobs will be totally fine. They are no doubt on good money, anyone hiring knows that one "apparent" failure is down to a whole load of things.

That they've taken at least one game through a full development cycle to launch is proof enough that most of them know what they are doing - and they'll get rehired elsewhere (Playground games probably, ha).

This 1000 copies thing is being brought up a bit much, that's just physical copies in the first week of sale when it was at nutso prices generally. And also isn't verified. There's been 145 copies sold on ebay in the interim, which again is low but I can't imagine 15% of all game sales have been regurgitated on there already. So obviously it's sold really poorly but it's not done that badly.

How's the online for those still playing it, has there been a noticeable presence of bots in the teams there? That's how it does it when there's a lack of players, right? Or am I thinking of some other game?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, K said:

Nice one m8, this is the perfect time to share your thoughts on how you're happy that Rushy has lost his job, you absolute fucking prick.

He'll be more than fine, he's exceptional at what he does and I bet he'll appreciate the break from his overlords. I'm sure he has a story to tell on development too.

I'm taking a dispassionate viewpoint here. You clearly know him really well, yet had it just been the pawns/junior staff laid off (as often happens) there would be much less upset and gnashing off teeth. Those are the guys who are often affected by things like this.

The other guys at the top really shouldn't be.

Still I'll give you a <3 for sticking up for him - it wasn't my intention to position it that way. Apologies for the timing if it felt wrong.

7 minutes ago, stefcha said:

How's the online for those still playing it, has there been a noticeable presence of bots in the teams there? That's how it does it when there's a lack of players, right? Or am I thinking of some other game?

Yeah, most games I play are majority bots. Embarrassingly, it actually took me an age to realise I was playing bots as the AI isn't too bad but, once I did, the game became far less appealing as beating bots isn't much fun..

It's a real shame as it is a brilliant, and hugely compulsive, twist on a really tired genre. 

Best of luck to all those laid off.

Yikes, that sucks :( Hope you can all find work sharpish.

Kinda concerned for Sumo Digital now too, there seem to be a lot of different devs working on these "it's a racing game but you don't win by coming first, more through action" titles, and it feels like the industry already had a go at that unsuccessfully ten years ago with Split/Second and the like, and the audience isn't any more receptive this time around.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

He'll be more than fine, he's exceptional at what he does and I bet he'll appreciate the break from his overlords. I'm sure he has a story to tell on development too.

I'm taking a dispassionate viewpoint here. You clearly know him really well, yet had it just been the pawns/junior staff laid off (as often happens) there would be much less upset and gnashing off teeth. Those are the guys who are often affected by things like this.

The other guys at the top really shouldn't be.

Still I'll give you a <3 for sticking up for him - it wasn't my intention to position it that way. Apologies for the timing if it felt wrong.

Cock

10 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yikes, that sucks :( Hope you can all find work sharpish.

Kinda concerned for Sumo Digital now too, there seem to be a lot of different devs working on these "it's a racing game but you don't win by coming first, more through action" titles, and it feels like the industry already had a go at that unsuccessfully ten years ago with Split/Second and the like, and the audience isn't any more receptive this time around.

What Sumo game are you referring to ..? Or did you mean something else?

27 minutes ago, linkster said:

What Sumo game are you referring to ..? Or did you mean something else?

Team Sonic Racing.

2 hours ago, Dinobot said:

1,000 physical copies sold.

Ouch.

Yeah, but why are Codemasters punishing the studio for the game's poor sales? Surely Codemasters has a much bigger impact on its outcome, i.e. doing marketing, ordering a game with a certain idea behind it from the studio in the first place, doing promotion, getting pricing right etc.

• Upvote 6