ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

This arrived in the post yesterday. It seems alright so far but unless something clicks today I’ll probably get rid. The end goal at the moment just doesn’t grab me. 

Also, the game looks nothing like the photos posted by users in the thread. It looks like most other racers so all those airbrushed photo mode pictures are a load of bollocks. Solid framerate though. 

24 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Also, the game looks nothing like the photos posted by users in the thread. It looks like most other racers so all those airbrushed photo mode pictures are a load of bollocks. Solid framerate though. 

But surely if you had seen any kind of videos/website shots you'd know what the actual game looks like. Does it really come as a surprise that photmode shots with filters/depth of field/aperture etc applied will look different to the actual ingame? Although I do still dispute this "load of bollocks" comment as a number of mine don't have any filters applied at all (just different POV's). 

Photomodes are a tool often used to help emphasis and manipulate the detail within a game.. not as a representation of the actual gameplay (thats more what the share button is for).

8 hours ago, JPickford said:

Photo modes are a genius promotional tool.

I'm surprised more game developers don't make use of it - I mean Codies kept on defending the lack of it in DiRT Rally and D4 by stating the Ego engine can't do photo mode - well, in the hands of the right people it bloody well can Mr Coleman.

They also need to know what to do with it and ensuring accessibility - a good photo mode is still a rare enough thing.

@the_debaser the photo mode like U-1 says isn't airbrushed or guilty of post-FX enhancing in any way (bar the filters which aren't used that much really) - you're dashing about and focused all around, not close up like you get with other games having an interior cam or bonnet cam view - therein lies the difference, you simply aren't seeing the detail as you are too far away; so not really bollocks.

4 hours ago, MeanElf said:

the photo mode like U-1 says isn't airbrushed or guilty of post-FX enhancing in any way (bar the filters which aren't used that much really) - 

I don't have Onrush yet but isn't there a pause when you capture your screenshot in photo mode? It likely adds a large dollop of proper AA, perhaps an improved AO pass too. That sort of stuff can make a big difference to perceived image quality. Not that it isn't a fine looking game of course. 

True, once you've mucked about with your image it processes it ready for the picture and I'm sure all those things help to some degree - mostly though it seems to be changing the depth of field, motion-blur and type of camera to what you've set. I mean, an image without anything done to it looks pretty much the same at the start and end of the processing - but that could just be my untrained (software coding-wise) eyesight; so maybe you're right on that score.

On 23/06/2018 at 21:39, petrolgirls said:

I don't have Onrush yet but isn't there a pause when you capture your screenshot in photo mode? It likely adds a large dollop of proper AA, perhaps an improved AO pass too. That sort of stuff can make a big difference to perceived image quality. Not that it isn't a fine looking game of course. 

Largely in ONRUSH what you see is what you get in-game versus photo-mode.

We switch the game to 'Prioritise Resolution' rather than 'Prioritise Frame-rate' so it forces it to run at 30fps with the highest possible resolution supported by that platform (this option is available during gameplay as well). After we that we just push out the LODS, Tesselation and mips further (i.e. push the detail further in the distance).

Obviously we process any optional effects you choose to add on top after that (depth of field, motion blur, etc), but we don't switch on any other effects such as improved AO as suggested. The real difference in photomode is that you're able get up close, see the detail, frame the action and appreciate what we're pushing all the time whilst you're racing round at speed.

2 hours ago, Rushy said:

...The real difference in photomode is that you're able get up close, see the detail, frame the action and appreciate what we're pushing all the time whilst you're racing round at speed.

So, I was right after all :D

23 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Great review on Easy Allies, 9/10: 

Just popped in to post this. Great to see they get it. Bloodworth really knows his racers too. 

I missed the beta for this and didn't really have a clear idea in my head about what the game was about, I must confess the lack of pure racing put me off buying it at full price and my expectations were reasonably low given this looked quite a bit like Motorstorm and I never really got on with that either.

Initial impressions are it's like Burnout Road Rage mode turned into a full, really polished game and I absolutely love it.

22 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Apparently there’s a free weekend this coming weekend. When pretty much the entire country will be watching the World Cup! Are they determined for this game to fail?

Not everyone likes football and it doesn't take all weekend - plenty of time in between.

Alternatively it could work out to be a bit of genius marketing. Its an ideal Post-Pub game so may benefit from a few pissed up people trying it and taking the plunge on a digital purchase. ;) 

On 04/07/2018 at 07:56, MattKB said:

For anyone still teetering, the base game is £27.49 on psn store for a few days (with psn plus discount)

Its also currently available for £32.99 at Argos....

Had a good session last night, after getting it in the PSN sale. When it clicks, it's just brilliant.

Was playing the mode where you have to build up boost and three of us picked the car that resupplies you when you drive next to team-mates. We were bombing along at top speed, huddled in a group, resupplying each other, while one of the big trucks gave us shields. Finished the match with about double the points of the other team.

I can only play it for about 90 minutes though, before my eyeballs dry out from not blinking.

It's got more to it, but I don't think the gameplay's changed at all. The full game has more tutorial stuff in it though, which helps a lot.

I still think they don't do enough to drill in the single most important tip: hit boost as you land

23 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Has it changed much since the beta?  Tempted to download it again for the free weekend to see if it clicks this time.

For me it is a lot better than the beta was. The online games are a lot less laggy and the extra game modes are class. Give it a go, it’s free after all.

as for the World Cup argument, well. Trust rllmuk to force negativity onto a free game weekend.

I can't recall ever wanting to like a game as much as this and just not feeling it - tried the free weekend version on PS4, which let me start the single player mode (not sure how far it'll let you go).

I'm just getting no sense of speed, on full boost held down the field still stays ahead of me, and the handling feels lumpy and like my car has Mario Kart easy steering set on. 

On top of that never really got a clue what I'm meant to be doing beyond smashing things. 

I find it quite exasperating - think the free weekend has helped me set my mind though that doesn't matter what price it comes to this just won't be for me.