ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

2 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I'd say so, yeah. But will that stop such people instantly whinging on the internet because they felt they were promised an arcade racer and didn't get what they expected for their fifty quid?

I don't know. When do you plan to stop?

8 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Well if people don't read up on something before buying it then well isn't it their problem?

Indeed. My last say on this matter is that I'm pretty positive one of the very first things I heard about Onrush was that it was to be unlike any other racer out there and it also wouldn't have start/finish lines. Seemed pretty accurate to me.

I played the demo and my first instant impression was that this game looked amazing and I was pleased.  After only five minutes I understood that it wasn't my cup of tea. Its the quickest that my first impressions have sunk through the floor in any game ever and I went back to playing Shox on PS3 and it showed me all the reasons I getting on with OnRush.

Problem these days is that's there’s too much stuff.  Times were I'd have stuck with OnRush and worked out all of the details and maybe grown to love it. But these days you have 5 minutes to gain my attention and if you don't I'll end up looking elsewhere. Not just gaming but there are so many demands on my time from all directions. 

On 24/05/2018 at 15:13, womblingfree said:

Who the fuck decided arcade racing was dead? I guess I missed a memo as I was too busy playing Ridge Racer, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Wipeout, Burnout and Mario Kart.

I love arcade racers but there hasn't been a new Ridge Racer in over 6 years, Hot Pursuit is 8 years old and the last Burnout was a decade ago. Not sure Wipeout or MK are really arcade racers, even then we're not exactly buckling under the weight of new iterations of those games either. Think it's fair to say it's not been a great decade for the genre. 

Yep,  Mario Kart 8 came out 4 years ago and Nintendo haven't released another arcade racer in the UK since Excite Truck in 2006. Facts that need repeating.

Sony's token effort to satisfy arcade racing fans this generation is a (nice) remastered Wipeout collection and fucking table top racing on playstation plus. The dicks

The thing is, Mario Kart 8's popularity shows there is huge demand out there for  arcade racing, it's just a bit of a gamble for publishers and developers to attempt to strike gold. But there is gold to be mined out there. Sadly, I think pure hardcore racers like Ridge Racer are quite a niche thing really these days and will struggle to sell fuck loads while sticking close to their original formula so will remain indie games made by enthusiasts. Developers with more money behind them at  Sumo, Retro and Evolution are or seem to be approaching the genre from alternative angles. Which is quite exciting actually,  although I really would like Outrun 3 too.

3 hours ago, Mars said:

That looks nice - wonder how the slo-mo will be handled online?

Probably won't be, unless the AI takes over briefly - my guess would be the former though. But, as we learned with Driveclub, never say never!

2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I love arcade racers but there hasn't been a new Ridge Racer in over 6 years, Hot Pursuit is 8 years old and the last Burnout was a decade ago. Not sure Wipeout or MK are really arcade racers, even then we're not exactly buckling under the weight of new iterations of those games either. Think it's fair to say it's not been a great decade for the genre. 

2 hours ago, Fatsam said:

Yep,  Mario Kart 8 came out 4 years ago and Nintendo haven't released another arcade racer in the UK since Excite Truck in 2006. Facts that need repeating.

Sony's token effort to satisfy arcade racing fans this generation is a (nice) remastered Wipeout collection and fucking table top racing on playstation plus. The dicks

The thing is, Mario Kart 8's popularity shows there is huge demand out there for  arcade racing, it's just a bit of a gamble for publishers and developers to attempt to strike gold. But there is gold to be mined out there. Sadly, I think pure hardcore racers like Ridge Racer are quite a niche thing really these days and will struggle to sell fuck loads while sticking close to their original formula so will remain indie games made by enthusiasts. Developers with more money behind them at  Sumo, Retro and Evolution are or seem to be approaching the genre from alternative angles. Which is quite exciting actually,  although I really would like Outrun 3 too.

This is all without discussing the variety we used to get in racing games, some of my favourite racing games have been none car on tarmac based (Sled Storm, Ricky Charmichael, N-Gen Racing, Pure, Smugglers Run/Smugglers Run 2, Motorstorm RC)

3 hours ago, wev said:

This is all without discussing the variety we used to get in racing games, some of my favourite racing games have been none car on tarmac based (Sled Storm, Ricky Charmichael, N-Gen Racing, Pure, Smugglers Run/Smugglers Run 2, Motorstorm RC)

Variety is good!  - I think this is one of the reasons The Crew 2 will do far better than the first, due to the switchability and availability of stunt/light aircraft and water racing. Racing in general has taken a bit of a dip sales-wise in the past few years but hopefully, if supported, more will come back via the arcade side of things.

11 minutes ago, Akira said:

Well my copy got dispatched from shopto.. What's the chances of it turning up tomorrow? 

That would be nice alright - they do have a history of early dispatch though, don't they?

6 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

That would be nice alright - they do have a history of early dispatch though, don't they?

They did, but I'd thought they had stopped doing it. Regardless, I cannot wait to get back into this game : D

I'm probably going to buy this for the hard work alone. Great video. No BS, just pure tech.

If they've got the networking aspect already nailed - an online racing mode should be fairly easy with a Driveclub styled SP racing DLC pack erm...thing added later.

10 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

I'm probably going to buy this for the hard work alone. Great video. No BS, just pure tech.

If they've got the networking aspect already nailed - an online racing mode should be fairly easy with a Driveclub styled SP racing DLC pack erm...thing added later.

Fair play to you - they do seem genuinely surprised at some of the response to the aim of the game.

@Akira here's hoping for you - I'll be jealous as hell but glad to hear more of the fun that awaits :)

2 hours ago, MeanElf said:

Fair play to you - they do seem genuinely surprised at some of the response to the aim of the game.

Yeah i know. I usually get excited at new mechanics within genres. And its not like theres no arcade racing games....

Gravel isn't bad, theres plenty of rally games, bikes are better catered for (albeit by less technical devs) and The Crew 2 comes out very close anyway.

So why wouldn't you want something different?

I just expected a solid racer from former Evolution as thats what they've always brought to the table.

Its actually really good the Codies have given them complete freedom rather then force them to adhere to their own ideas. Shows real confidence. And rightly so.

And its coming on PC! 

So i'll shut up and get me coat....:)

Mine arrived this morning. 1.01 patch about 2.6gb to d/l. Had a quick blast and it looks like they have got it running higher than 1080p @ 60fps on the pro - the hud could be 4k? (will stand corrected though!). The game certainly gives the fans on the pro a workout. Haven’t seen them ramp up this much in a while. Looking forward to getting stuck in tonight over a few beers tonight