ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

Are U1 and Meanelf having a photo off?

I was dying to love this because absolutely everything Evo has put out has been incredibly brilliant and Drive Club is played daily and truthfully the Motorstorm games still weekly. Plugging away at 100 percenting Apocalypse. But this, well it's just not what I'm looking for. I need that finish line in a racer and the Beta obviously shows this doesn't go that route. 

I hope this does gangbusters for the Evo lads and if there are undisclosed modes in the retail release that scratch that itch I'm there, but if it's riffing on the Beta style only, then it'll be my first Evo pass since WRC. 

20 minutes ago, U-1 said:

I think peoples interpretations of what makes a good looking game must vary wildly.. no issues here:

42172440252_0a46824058_o.png

41497555484_5d66e58c02_o.png

41497557324_c2217f4ea9_o.png

I’m comparing it directly with Forza Horizon 3, as it’s the last game of a similar genre that I played, and it pales into insignificance next to it.

I’m not saying it’s a complete mess or anything though, they just need to tweak the gamma/contrast/saturation and add a load of particle effects and it’d look great.

It just feels flat for something that is based around over exaggeration.

I’m not really sure what your point is with those shots either, aside form two of them being mono, isn’t the whole point of a camera mode to tweak it to get some cool looking shots? Go and have a play in Forza Horizon 3’s photo mode if you want to see some amazing results.

12 minutes ago, amc said:

Nah me and @MeanElf are good... no rivally there 

giphy.gif

@JPL I see where you are coming from but in fairness this does kick around a hell of a lot more than Forza Horizon.. I expect maintaining that 60FPS has come at a cost. Although wasn't it agreed earlier in the thread that this wasn't a racer ;) 

It's a racing game without a finish line. I've played it for a good few hours and that still hasn't really stopped being a negative thus far. I don't really know what I'm doing and what I am doing doesn't really feel like it's effecting the game as a whole. I don't know, I miss arcade racers so much, and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was my favourite game of my favourite generation of consoles, but the Beta for this has kind of put it in the "wait until reviews/it's cheaper" pile. Which is a shame. 

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with the beta but agree that it feels like it could get old rather quickly. I hope the other modes and vehicle types in the full game offer more variation, the game modes in the beta all mostly feel the same with only the timed one feeling like you have a real influence over your team's score. Also the boost mechanic isn't explained well enough, one car rewards boosting as you hit the ground but that seemed like the game was saying I shouldn't be boosting while in the air (or can I quickly release then boost as I land?). The "putting  you back in the action" feels like it happens too quickly and could be a big limit on potential strategy, I assume they were having difficulty keeping the scores balanced. As much as I want this game to live up to the first few hours of the beta (and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it on release) it feels like one that will drop in price pretty quickly, especially with a PC version coming later. £65 for a digital version?!

7 hours ago, amc said:

Nah - I get inspired by @U-1's fine lens and eye work. Hell, it was seeing those WipEout pics of his last year that made me join this site in the first place (so the rest of you can blame him for that!) We're good, as he so rightly says.

@JPL I can't comment on FH3's photo mode as I don't have the console - nor have I ever played it, I have seen some good pics from it alright but I don't recall it as being that stand out over this. Photo mode is what you make of it and ONRUSH brings out a lot of beauty, both mechanical and dynamic. I'm sure the folks will be tweaking it along the way, as they did with DRIVECLUB.

33 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

@JPL I can't comment on FH3's photo mode as I don't have the console - nor have I ever played it, I have seen some good pics from it alright but I don't recall it as being that stand out over this. Photo mode is what you make of it and ONRUSH brings out a lot of beauty, both mechanical and dynamic. I'm sure the folks will be tweaking it along the way, as they did with DRIVECLUB.

Having played both, it’s night and day. 

I don’t want to keep banging on about it though. I’m not totally down on it or anything, I was just a bit surprised how unspectacular it looked. Like I said, for a game about excess, I want my eyeballs to bleed with the amount of effects going on, but this feels really flat.

I’m sure they will tweak it over time, but first impressions and all that.

Contrary to what I've said up there, I'm going to keep my Pre order. Not because I've had some epiphany yet with the Beta but because I was playing DC again for hours last night and I think I picked it up with all the trimmings for under £20.00. I wasn't about at its launch and bought it as soon as I got my PS4. Anyway the amount of hours I've had out of it (it's by far my most played PS4, hell any current systems game), plus MS, MS:RC etc etc I'm indebted to the people who put Onrush out. I know some may say that's daft, buying a game I'm not really feeling but I support people on Patreon who's output I like and everything I've pledged on that platform doesn't add up to the amount of fun and hours played on DC. It's got to be in the hundreds of hours and still hundreds more, I'll be playing that game well into PS5. Plus there's bound to be fun to be had with the retail release. Hope it has success and allows the team at Codemasters to put more titles out in the future.

11 hours ago, U-1 said:

I think peoples interpretations of what makes a good looking game must vary wildly.. no issues here:

It runs smooth as butter (X, anyway), but it doesn't seem to look anywhere near as good in motion as all these photos do. Maybe it's just the pace of it not giving you time to notice - I'm amazed that you and meanelf are able to pick all these shots out to be honest, and some of the detail revealed in there is brilliant.

Initial impressions of this were good. The handling is absolutely spot on, it looks the part, the soundtrack is thumping and there's enough ramps and opponents on screen to give you that frenetic feeling, I think the team were going for.

I like the concept too. It's brave to try and reinvent an entire genre like this and I can see the logic and the appeal of an arcade racer which completely flips the focus of the experience, from the track to your opponents.

Having put over an hour into it though, my biggest problem with the game is that I often feel as though I'm being swept up by the unfolding chaos, not the instigator of it. If you look at other combat racing games such as Split Second or Burnout 3, where the tracks are tighter and there's still that racing element, you feel more in control of what happens, there's an impetus to chase positions and employ strategy in how you navigate the terrain or trigger obstacles, leading to that vital sense of satisfaction when you knock out an opponent or take the gold.

On Rush sacrifices much of that for running with the herd, and keeping you inside this constant bubble of chaos. I can see the idea and I can see why the team ran with it, as on paper it sounds great, but in practice I didn't feel as if what I did mattered all that much. Without the need to beat other racers to the finish line, I felt a strange disconnect from the driving experience and the combat felt too random and inconsequential to make up for the half of the challenge that's missing.

Again, if you look at the Burnout games, when you knock out an opponent, there's this satisfying crunch of metal, sparks fly, there's a slo-mo take on the action played and then it cuts straight back to you roaring along, it feels awesome. With On Rush, the combat is more akin to a bowling ball knocking skittles out of the way.

Again, I can see the logic. If you're supposed to be knocking out enemies left, right and center, you can't dress it up with all those bells and whistles as half the round would be spent looking at slo-mo replays, but the problem of accomplishment remains. Seeing a skittle fall just doesn't deliver the same buzz as watching an enemy car so comprehensively wiped out as a result of your driving and as a result, the whole experience can feel flat.

I regret having to focus on the negatives like this. There's definitely fun to be had with On Rush and with a few tweaks to the combat and some more compelling maps and modes, it could all so easily snap into place.

For now though, I don't think the initial thrill of barrelling through opponents is going to sustain for many hours past what I've already played. I'll be reading the impressions and reviews on release and keeping my fingers crossed that a few patches down the line this delivers a more refined and weighty experience.

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

It runs smooth as butter (X, anyway), but it doesn't seem to look anywhere near as good in motion as all these photos do. Maybe it's just the pace of it not giving you time to notice - I'm amazed that you and meanelf are able to pick all these shots out to be honest, and some of the detail revealed in there is brilliant.

I heard someone on another site suggest that the game processes extra layers or depth, or something like that in photo mode: ie: the resolution is higher than whilst playing the actual game. Not sure how valid that idea is, but I quite like the sound of it.

@amc Full-on kudos to you for that decision, it's not daft, sounds well reasoned and commendable I say! :)

Heard elsewhere that apparently the two new tracks on MP have a lot more verticality to them and are far more claustrophobic - I'm pretty sure Big Dune Beach was chosen as the most open to allow players the chance for wiggle room - all the easier to learn with.

Seems pretty solid online for me. No hint of lag and disconnection error type things have been really rare.

One thing I'd quite like to see added is the ability to check out how everyone is doing during that pause period after you crash your vehicle. Doing it while you are racing is pretty impractical given the speed the thing moves at.

Loving the new tracks by the way. Shoreline is particularly classy and the other one has an element of Apocalypse brutality in terms of things to crash into.

Oooh that track's moving things seize up in the snow. Just had a fantastic overdrive game on there. There's loads of air in these two new ones.

Overdrive definitely seems like this game's equivalent of turf war in Splatoon compared to the checkpoint one.  Using the whole stage and asking you to make the most of it,  rather than putting game mode restrictions in and serving to direct players to sections of it. Winning doesn't necessarily involve taking the opposition out. Which I like.

^ cheers! that is really helpful. i still feel like there's a lot of unexplained stuff mind, like the checkpoint mode, the gates get bigger as more people go through them (or is it over time? or somehing else?), so do you get more points/time for going through them when they're smaller? (and again this might be explained but i missed it) it's odd as usually i don't think i'd care about knowing every little detail here but as this is so different to a normal racer i sort of want to know exactly how it all works.

15 hours ago, spatular said:

^ cheers! that is really helpful. i still feel like there's a lot of unexplained stuff mind, like the checkpoint mode, the gates get bigger as more people go through them (or is it over time? or somehing else?), so do you get more points/time for going through them when they're smaller? (and again this might be explained but i missed it) it's odd as usually i don't think i'd care about knowing every little detail here but as this is so different to a normal racer i sort of want to know exactly how it all works.

I too would like to know the answer to this!

Pretty sure that the narrower the gate the more time you get added to your score.

To be honest, I'm really not 100% sold on that mode yet. The pattern does seem to be that one team gets ahead and then that's it. Overdrive games feel far closer with plenty of lead swapping, chances for a comeback,  and I get a much bigger sense of influencing the outcome too.

14 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I too would like to know the answer to this!

Countdown mode is fairly simple, but there more depth and strategy to it than you might expect:

- Drive through the gates to earn time for your team, that's the important bit ;)

- The first person to hit a gate (on either team) triggers it to widen, this makes it easier for players behind to catch-up and takeout those that they're chasing (which naturally condenses the pack).
 - Hitting every gate isn't necessarily the best strategy, as taking down an opponent will mean they miss 3-4 gates, so sacrificing a gate to wreck someone is well worth it.
 - Time earned for your team is relative to the number of team members who've already passed through a gate, so if you hit the gate first you'll earn more time. So as long as you get 3-4 people on a team through each gate you're earning the bulk of the available time (we frees allows people to miss some gates without being too punishing and allows for more aggressive strategies).

- So if all of one team is ahead of another team it actually offers no advantage at all. Providing everyone on both teams all hit a gate the time earned per gate will be the same per team.

- Vehicle Class choice is key, as with everyone following a similar path you want to make it as hard to follow as possible. So the Vortex Wake, Blade Firewall, Titan Blockade are all super useful at cutting off routes or slowly people down.

- Gates are randomly generated, so don't bother trying to learn their routes.