ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

19 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I think it shows a very astute reading of the market. I'm not sure the concept of "winning" really matters as much as it once did

Absolutely agree. Growing up with gaming over the years the focus has always been to win. However I've recently being playing Fortnite Battle Royale and really having fun. Not really fussed about "winning" just romping around getting weapons, building stuff and having fun.

Going to try the beta tonight.... have the lounge TV to myself for a change!!!!! :)

28 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I think it shows a very astute reading of the market. I'm not sure the concept of "winning" really matters as much as it once did (apart, perhaps, from Chicken Dinners). With the rise of streaming and the like, I suspect the next generation are more interested in cool shit happening, rather than arbitrarily coming first by virtue of having spent longer than everyone else learning some courses. Blur was great, but I often had fantastic races where I came in 14th and didn't care. I loved Split/Second, and spent hours refining my skills to get Rank 1, and while I miss those heady times I think those days are gone now. If you want games to be inclusive, streamer friendly, and to cut through the swathe of other things your typical teen gamer might be playing you've got to deliver the dopamine shots in a different fashion. 

To re-evaluate racing games and take the actual racing out is a stroke of genius. It's a bit like Overwatch taking the detailed K/D ratios out and just flagging who did cool stuff at the end. I'm not sure this is going to be a commercial goliath, but if it gets enough of a community behind it I suspect it could do pretty well. In many ways, I suspect the older rllmuk crowd shaking their fist at it and saying it's confusing is probably a good sign. 

I don't think the older crowd (which at 46, I am definitely in) are saying its confusing, they are saying the message is confusing. The game is incredibly simplistic and basic at its core, but is undeniably aimed at the streamer friendly/short attention span crowd. I have no issue with that at all, if the devs thinks the market is there to sustain the game for a long period of time. And I'm not being derogatory there, I am having fun with this in blasts and my lads will probably love it when they get here for the weekend, but in no way shape or form should this be described a s 'racer'. It's a bit like Fortnite in that, as you say, it's about the cool stuff you can do rather than the end result. While I've been playing it I'm not that fussed if my team wins or loses, it's about the mini experiences I have had each game, the takedowns, the near misses and the amount of time I wreck myself doing something stupid.

But I also don't think the days of the arcade racer are done, I'm hoping someone can come and revitalise it. We have the short blast games like this, and the tweak to buggery games like Forza, there has to be room for a middle ground somewhere if a developer can come up with something to grab attention. Maybe I'm just being hopeful. 

38 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

I suspect the next generation are more interested in cool shit happening, rather than arbitrarily coming first by virtue of having spent longer than everyone else learning some courses.

Humanity is doomed.

The PS4 is in desperate need of a great arcade racer. No Ridge, no Burnout, no decent Need for Speed and not even a proper GT game.

Drive Club has been bravely manning the fort for years now, but there's still an open goal for anyone that wants it.

12 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

But I also don't think the days of the arcade racer are done, I'm hoping someone can come and revitalise it.

I'd just settle for a remaster of NFS Hot Pursuit (the criterion one) for now. The fact they did Burnout Paradise gives me a glimmer of hope on that one.

2 minutes ago, U-1 said:

I'd just settle for a remaster of NFS Hot Pursuit (the criterion one) for now. The fact they did Burnout Paradise gives me a glimmer of hope on that one.

Would love that, what a brilliant game that was. 

Not enjoying the beta much. Sorry guys. I preferred Blur or motorstorm.

1.) It just lacks a racing element - pure or otherwise. 

2). I love the strategic elements - but on an offroad track i'm not so sure it works because your control is dictated by your environment, which is offroad, and therefore chaotic - whereas on a normal road it works much better but you've got more control. 

3). The concept of AI car fodder - not sure i like this. Sure it requires skill to destroy them to earn the boost and powerups you need but they just appear. Meh...

Great that i was able to try it first though

17 minutes ago, U-1 said:

This and Flatout:UC were quite possibly the most fun I've ever had in an arcade racer. I'd love to go back to Hot Pursuit in the form of a remaster.

As for Onrush, I tried the beta earlier and came away disappointed sadly. I'm willing to give it some more time but the whole thing felt a little too shallow. Its pretty much just a car combat game without any interesting weaponry and that doesn't feel like its enough. It needs an element of racing to go with that in my opinion. I dunno, maybe I just don't get what its trying to do?

I watched NX Gamers video on this, he was similarly disappointed it wasn't an actual racing game. Maybe the topic title needs changing to reflect what this game actually is as it clearly isn't what most people would use the term "Arcade Racer" for. Arcade point scoring battling vehicle game probably is a bit unwieldy as a replacement description.

9 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Maybe the topic title needs changing to reflect what this game actually is as it clearly isn't what most people would use the term "Arcade Racer" for. Arcade point scoring battling vehicle game probably is a bit unwieldy as a replacement description.

Someone on Twitter replied to one of my pics with the perfect description. It's an "Emergent Car Posing Simulator" ;)

53 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So wait, if you don't race, what do you do?? Get points for stuff? That's still competitive and so still sounds awesome.

It might be, but I can't really get much feedback on the points I'm getting, what, why, where, what impact I'm having. As a result it feels almost arbitrary, from an individual point of view, whether you win or not. So far (and I've only played three matches to try the vehicles) I can't tell if what I'm doing is actually making a difference or not if you see what I mean. I don't feel awesome, but I may or may not be being awesome I'm not really sure while in the midst of it. 

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

It might be, but I can't really get much feedback on the points I'm getting, what, why, where, what impact I'm having. As a result it feels almost arbitrary, from an individual point of view, whether you win or not. So far (and I've only played three matches to try the vehicles) I can't tell if what I'm doing is actually making a difference or not if you see what I mean. I don't feel awesome, but I may or may not be being awesome I'm not really sure while in the midst of it. 

I think I’m level 14 and still feel like this, I occasionally top the leaderboard and get MVP but it doesn’t feel much different to when I’m near the bottom of the leaderboard. I really wanted to like this and I do to some extent but I’m a bit bored already.

On 17/05/2018 at 19:47, Theholyhogg said:

Got to level 25 but not unlocked a new vehicle??

The unlocks are for the full game, not the beta.

Not sure about the game really.  Looks and feels nice, but I felt like I'd already seen all there was to see after 30 minutes.  I'm not sure what my overall contribution is, or what I can do to improve it.  I find just trying to be as close to the front as possible tends to land me the MVP, so maybe that's all there is to it.  There have been a few takedowns tonight where the replay shows the opponent nowhere near me, which is a bit frustrating.  Nice to be able to try these things before launch.  Surely nobody chooses resolution over performance, right?!

My other gripe is the tracks arn't blowing me away.

They're don't have much in the way of geographical scale. Its one of Evoltuons most famed traits to me.

It looks like some of that is coming, looking at some of the tracks in the presenation videos....

but damn if its not going to have its work cut out in June.

Loving it.

The more I've played it and the more I become familiar with the courses and the way thing operate, the less frantic and chaotic it seems to play too. I'm more relaxed playing this now, trying to slip into a  groove and keeping that going as long as possible.

It's particularly great how quickly it chucks you back in so you can contribute to your teams score too. A bit like Splatoon does. Being taken out by the opposition is a fucker, but it doesn't feel too frustrating. I'm more irritated by the way that my own team mates are frequently as lethal as the opposition. :lol: Stop shoving me into things guys.