Rushy

ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

I'm just getting no sense of speed, on full boost held down the field still stays ahead of me,

Let go of the boost any time you're in the air, then hit it again just as you land. That gives you a massive boost, and I think you can do it even if your boost bar is empty.

• Upvote 2

I thought the lack of direction was odd, too. You have to download the demo. The free weekend is great for me, as I wanted to try the final game after playing the beta. It’s not going to help sales though, as I think I can get my fill over the weekend.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

I can't recall ever wanting to like a game as much as this and just not feeling it - tried the free weekend version on PS4, which let me start the single player mode (not sure how far it'll let you go).

I'm just getting no sense of speed, on full boost held down the field still stays ahead of me, and the handling feels lumpy and like my car has Mario Kart easy steering set on. 

On top of that never really got a clue what I'm meant to be doing beyond smashing things. 

I find it quite exasperating - think the free weekend has helped me set my mind though that doesn't matter what price it comes to this just won't be for me. 

I’m experiencing the same. I really dislike the character design and the announcer voice also. Music set to 0. 

I’m getting Excite Truck vibes from it so I’ll persevere this weekend as I’m sure there’s a good game in there. The wife is away for a couple of nights so I’ll just be drinking too much and playing games indoors, avoiding the sun so will be able to give it a fair chance. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I’m experiencing the same. I really dislike the character design and the announcer voice also. Music set to 0

I’m getting Excite Truck vibes from it so I’ll persevere this weekend as I’m sure there’s a good game in there. The wife is away for a couple of nights so I’ll just be drinking too much and playing games indoors, avoiding the sun so will be able to give it a fair chance. 

:o Thats sacrilege!

It's an easy GOTY soundtrack contender for me. Struggle to think of a better suited one to this style of arcade game.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, U-1 said:

:o Thats sacrilege!

It's an easy GOTY soundtrack contender for me. Struggle to think of a better suited one to this style of arcade game.

Just because you like it doesn't mean everyone does! I really disliked the music in Driveclub too – it's just not my thing.

I'd go for fast punk, and a mix of heavy, thrash and speed metal for this, which is exactly what I'm going to be streaming through Spotify when I get back on it. :)

Edit: turns out the latest Carpenter Brut is also perfect for this. 

I played until about 2am this morning. It's great fun. 

The soundtrack, IMHO, is pretty awesome. Really reminds me of MotorStorm. 

The only thing that I do struggle with is takedowns. Trying to get alongside somebody to then turn in sharply to wreck them isn't easy. Verticals are awesome though.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I'd go for fast punk, and a mix of heavy, thrash and speed metal for this

Ahh, perfect! Now we know you have no taste. ;)

On 06/07/2018 at 15:27, Lochenvar said:

Let go of the boost any time you're in the air, then hit it again just as you land. That gives you a massive boost, and I think you can do it even if your boost bar is empty.

I bought it today and was struggling trying to work out how to utilise boost etc... I really want to like this game so will stick with it for a bit, my driving tickley bit has just never been scratched on the PS4 at all (outside bombing about in GTA). 

Just over an hour of the free weekend and I’ve got to say it’s pretty good. I’m coming off the back of playing Mario All-Stars Tennis, and I thought if it grabs me i’ll sell tennis and buy this. 

It’s undoubtedly a better game, but I’m not quite sure yet. For its many faults, MARIO tennis has the ability to provide massively thrilling matches online. Of the dozen or so races of this I’ve not had the same from this yet 

10 hours ago, Junker said:

Just over an hour of the free weekend and I’ve got to say it’s pretty good. I’m coming off the back of playing Mario All-Stars Tennis, and I thought if it grabs me i’ll sell tennis and buy this. 

It’s undoubtedly a better game, but I’m not quite sure yet. For its many faults, MARIO tennis has the ability to provide massively thrilling matches online. Of the dozen or so races of this I’ve not had the same from this yet 

I imagine that Onrush MP was designed more for team-play. During the demo, I went online for a few events and had fun avoiding being smacked about by the other players - when a team came on though, they worked together and were ruthless. If my side had been a team too, it would have been tough and tight all the way through. So, I suppose it depends on if you have a few friends who would play together often enough. Undoubtedly, there are smaller combos out there who work well together and even individual players that make worthwhile opponents.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Can the single player campaign be completed with on-line co-op? Blurb seems to suggest it, but I'd like to confirm.

There are also challenges per event which can be tackled as co-op - so it would seem so.

This was quite possibly the worst timed free weekend ever, with the heat, the football and the local folk festival (OK they can't have known about that one). From the little I managed to play (I got through 2 1/2 sections of the single player), it didn't feel any different to the beta in that I all too often had no real idea if I'm affecting anything, or if I am whether it actually matters. It's fun, in how it feels to play, but the lack of a noticeable feedback loop is a huge problem for me. Even when you rush on a big multiplier and you see the score bar move up rapidly, while it's probably down to me I don't know if it is, or if it's someone else on the team. Same for the time gates, I just don't know how much I'm affecting things while in motion. The postgame stats don't offer much encouragement either, usually I'd be MVP but then I'd see things like a CPU player from each team having their scores put up and then below it says "you: several thousand more". Why are they up in lights but not me? I beat their score, massively! Fairness because I got MVP already? Fuck them, if I was the best I should be the one up there regardless. 

I tried it on remote play on Vita which highlighted a few issues in itself, firstly you can't see or read a thing, and it doesn't cope with the speed of it at all, but despite that you can still win without even doing anything at all (sometimes I just left it entirely) and can still complete the single player objectives without being able to see what they are and crashing every five seconds. Even having read some of the objectives I've not much clue what they mean, but still completed them anyway. The actual driving and gameplay is fun enough - although I think the way takedowns work isn't great as almost every time I made an effort it also meant the end of me, and boost seems like it should be effective but you can barely catch up with anyone ever because everyone's fucking permanently boosting and the cars and bikes seem to all have a very similar speed - but it keeps leaving me with a feeling of "but what was the point?". You win, you lose, and it just feels fairly arbitrary. Lockdown and Switch are probably the best two events for making you feel you're actually doing something, but even Switch has its issues in that it can be overly confusing as to where your team is at vs the other in the endgame, and it can't half drag on a bit as a result. 

Basically I don't really get what it's trying to do. Arcade racing has been one of my favourite genres since Sega's Monaco GP was in the arcades then further cemented by OutRun then Chase HQ and everywhere it's gone in between, getting up to modern day with things like NFS: Hot Pursuit, Pure and the Forza Horizons. I love them. I should love this, but I just felt a bit bemused by it. Also I wish the digital copy was the price of the physical copy, I don't own a single disc for PS4 or Xbox One as it seems so old hat (and I don't want to hear a disc in a drive) but that's the only way to get it at a reasonable price. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1