Rushy

ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

10 hours ago, Akira said:

Loving the beta! Any chance the base xb1 version will have a 60fps option? 

Second. Enjoyed the game, but felt aweful playing at 30fps. Even if they added framerate smoothing like in forza horizon it would of been better. If there is no option for 60fps on xbone its a pass for me :(

17 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

It's a battle royale. ;)

You know what, a 100 player racing game akin to F-Zero's battle modes or Street Racer might actually work.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

Full servers. Has this been happening a lot during the beta? 

Not had full servers once on PS4... isn't it something to do with the Xbox X still downloading the 4k textures whilst trying to connect?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

You know what, a 100 player racing game akin to F-Zero's battle modes or Street Racer might actually work.

Trackmania does massive multiplayer racing, but with ghosts.  

• Upvote 1

Had a good bash at this and did well in the 'races' I had, but never felt in control of what I was doing. Probably my own shortcomings but I felt as if I was searching for the game in there.

I wonder if it makes a big difference when you know your team and have a collective strategy?

Feels great handling-wise.

Hmmmm

nice presentation, graphics, effects and soundtrack; looks good but still not really digging ‘the game’. Sorry but I think the dev time could have been better used to produce a stonking motorstorm esq game. The no finish line thing is weird; maybe even a standard race mode campaign would really add to improving this.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, U-1 said:

Not had full servers once on PS4... isn't it something to do with the Xbox X still downloading the 4k textures whilst trying to connect?

I was trying on PS4. I might give it a try on my X.

14 minutes ago, Flub said:

I was trying on PS4. I might give it a try on my X.

Yeah I think my theory was incorrect

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

Trackmania does massive multiplayer racing, but with ghosts.  

Ooh good point.  And has the elevated tracks.

Trackmania's rollercoaster style tracks, but last car standing wins.

I can see where you can draw similarities. The vehicles, handling, boosting and some aspects of the environments seem similar to me. Obviously it’s not traditional racing though.

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

New Edge mag says this is something of a spiritual successor to motorstorm. Is it?

Hmmm I don’t get much of a Motorstorm vibe, more Excite Truck. I stuck Excite Truck on this morning, now that game’s fast :) and confirmed for me that this needs some sort of medal/rank progression in single player. Will it have anything like that?

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

New Edge mag says this is something of a spiritual successor to motorstorm. Is it?

If they added racing and show us some more track verticality and scale, then most likely yes. As is...no.

Its not a racing game.

You can't really succeed a well established genre anyway. Its like killing 10 men on a football pitch with a ball and saying its a successor to football.

You can succeed what happens within that genre. Motorstorm doesn't award position based on number of kills. It awards it final position.

Racing offers more skilful (and forfilling) strategies based on driving alone. You can add weapons and make that even better. Like Blur...or Road rash.

This removes the racing element so you lose that and are just left with smashing people to win.

Theres a degree of skill brought about by the landscape being offroad....but that makes racing even more fun as well.

I have played this a good hour or so. To me it feels like a early access game or a budget game like you would find on the xbox 360.

Presentation is very bland. Music is good.

I honestly am not sure what i am doing during the game. Just smashing people of the road? I found it difficult to even catch up with anyone. This feels more like a game mode - i want full on racing. Even pulling of the moves (on bike) just didn't seem to have much variety.

Pure does it all much better.

It reminds me of excite truck on the wii, just prettier. and without the racing.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

It's a meh from me too. Edgelord teams sort of racing each other wasn't what I was after at all. Hopefully a new Grid is on the way, been a bad run from the Codies lately.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Firstly, I am clearly not the target market for this game, but as a massive fan of arcadey racing games I find these impressions interesting.

It's nice to try new things but these impressions make me wonder if maybe there is a reason why just about every other racing game ever involves an actual race to a finish line. Perhaps without that solid goal/end point to aim towards it all seems a bit poinless and random? That was what I thought when the game/concept was first announced and these impressions seem to be backing that up.

For those who have played it, in what way would the game be damaged if it had the same gameplay but also a race to a finish line?

Or, to put it a different way, in what way has the experienced been enhanced by not having an actual race and finish line etc?

Yeah not really my thing if I’m honest. I’m never the worlds best racer but removing all semblance of it from the game and basically making “Battle Royale with vehicles” isn’t what I’m looking for. It all just seems a bit random and aimless to play, win or lose, top or bottom of the leaderboard I felt like I did the same thing and it’s 90% luck as to how it plays out. 

Ah well - hopefully it sells well enough to keep Evo going till their next “proper” racing game. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, partious said:

For those who have played it, in what way would the game be damaged if it had the same gameplay but also a race to a finish line?

Or, to put it a different way, in what way has the experienced been enhanced by not having an actual race and finish line etc?

I imagine that no actual damage would come to the game, except the coding triggers and timings would all need to be re-jigged for a three or four lap race to be valid, instead of what the game is.

As for the second point, I might be false positive in the equation here as I enjoy driving in games more than racing. Ever since GT4 it was more fun doing TTs on the Nürburgring and Le Mans rather than actually race on them. It's why I like rally and off-road and sure, there is an element of competitiveness that has grown to appeal to me in those, so the driving, avoiding being squished/rammed/punted etc., whilst seeking to chain those boosts as you increasing the multiplier by chowing down on fodder has made it into a different game of skill than I expected - and one I enjoy. Then of course there is the flashy skill stuff. I do hope we get replay recordings and the option to remap photo mode to the touch-pad as my old thumbs aren't deft enough to always catch the designated pause button on time 8-)

• Upvote 2

Tutorial: ok

first real go: lasted ten seconds then a minute and a half of menus again. Seemed really odd.

Having played a lot of this over the weekend I can see why people are being turned off.

For me there are three main issues.

The first being Netcode. I've seen a lot of cars warping around the track. It's insanely frustrating when you go in to knock someone out and they disappear and reappear the other side of you. If this is the competitive game it needs to be that shit needs to be sorted.

Secondly it's not clear how taking someone out works. Several times there's been moments where I've got smash into someone, turn into them but its my car that starts flashing warnings. I've also had it a few times where I'm driving along and suddenly I'm wiped out completely without even seeing what happened.

Finally the two game modes on offer here are very similar. Countdown being the better version. I hope there's some wildly different ways of playing in the full game.

It's still insanely good fun to play but if this is to have lasting power as a competitive team game, there's a fair bit of work to do IMO.

• Upvote 3

Another in the absolutely love the music and presentation but had no idea what the hell I was doing by about 45m in and seemed to get worse. Hmm, odd one.

1 hour ago, elmo said:

Having played a lot of this over the weekend I can see why people are being turned off.

For me there are three main issues.

The first being Netcode. I've seen a lot of cars warping around the track. It's insanely frustrating when you go in to knock someone out and they disappear and reappear the other side of you. If this is the competitive game it needs to be that shit needs to be sorted.

Secondly it's not clear how taking someone out works. Several times there's been moments where I've got smash into someone, turn into them but its my car that starts flashing warnings. I've also had it a few times where I'm driving along and suddenly I'm wiped out completely without even seeing what happened.

Finally the two game modes on offer here are very similar. Countdown being the better version. I hope there's some wildly different ways of playing in the full game.

It's still insanely good fun to play but if this is to have lasting power as a competitive team game, there's a fair bit of work to do IMO.

Yet it comes out in what, 2 weeks?

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying this and this isn't aimed solely at this game but why the fuck have a beta 2 weeks before release? Stop the bullshit, call it a demo and be done with it.

If it's really a beta then give us a way to give suggestions or report bugs in-game. 

Again this isn't directed solely at this game because it's a big problem, but cut the beta shite and call it what it is - a demo.

• Upvote 1

On 19/05/2018 at 21:21, Simmy said:

...If it's really a beta then give us a way to give suggestions or report bugs in-game...

There have been tweets throughout asking for feedback and putting up a link to the Codies blog as well.

As for the brevity of time before the full launch, perhaps they wanted to stress test the net code etc - I'm sure the same issue won't have been expected as plagued Driveclub on launch, but maybe they wanted to be sure, after all, the only real test, is live - simulation doesn't cut it. 'Tis but a thought.

Anyway, more pictures:

41313547055_e71c3360c7_b.jpg
41493069894_e14bfa66f5_b.jpg
41493070104_0a37575564_b.jpg

41313547915_1268b70d48_b.jpg
41493070374_515a730dca_b.jpg
41313548375_7d1a63a4b3_b.jpg
27342966667_af30c874f3_b.jpg
41313549165_87b1875c89_b.jpg
28341227128_574d612c8d_b.jpg
28341229298_cbc1096ed8_b.jpg
41313552965_e2312f9574_b.jpg
41313553635_c846021922_b.jpg
28341231108_8aee72d2f1_b.jpg

• Upvote 3

It’s not much of a looker, is it?

After Forza Horizon 3, which was the last racer I played, it’s really flat and lacking in contrast. It all seems a bit sparse.

For a game that’s all about over the top action, it really lacks impact. Hopefully it’s just the beta and it’ll be significantly ramped up for final release. It feels unfinished at the moment.

I think peoples interpretations of what makes a good looking game must vary wildly.. no issues here:

42172440252_0a46824058_o.png

41497555484_5d66e58c02_o.png

41497557324_c2217f4ea9_o.png

• Upvote 6