Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

18 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

This looks a bit like Celeste. Is it better than that as I found Celeste a pretty miserable experience?

I really didn't get on with Celeste at all. I just didn't find it anywhere near as much fun as Spelunky. Celeste is a tightly designed set of levels that always play exactly the same, so if you fail you have to keep trying the same thing over and over until you get it right. Spelunky is different each time you play it, and it's more about learning how everything works and using that to your advantage. (Also if there's a particularly tricky bit you can just throw bombs at it until it goes away.) Celeste requires you to make perfect sequences of moves. Spelunky is more about making things up as you go along.

Yeah, Celeste always struck me as a more 'I Wanna Be The Guy' / 'Super Meatboy' kind of masochist platformer with pixel perfect moves and lightning reflexes.

Those skills will certainly help in Spelunky, but arent a prerequisite. Spelunky is more about constant situational awareness and risk assessment on the fly, constantly making lots of little decisions.

4 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Does anyone know when the review embargo is lifted for this? I am 'chomping at the bit' to read some reactions... which also got my into hot water in the edge magazine thread.

I've read the Edge review. It doesn't really say much about the game at all. Just that there's some great new additions, and that all the stuff that worked in the first one has been kept as is. Probably best not to spoil too much of it in advance...

9 minutes ago, Couk said:

I've read the Edge review. It doesn't really say much about the game at all. Just that there's some great new additions, and that all the stuff that worked in the first one has been kept as is. Probably best not to spoil too much of it in advance...

I'm surprised neither game is a 10, seeing as the first game is pretty much objectively perfect. My only complaint is the repetitive music - I wish they could program good, randomly generated music to go along with the levels. But that's hardly enough to knock a mark off.

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm surprised neither game is a 10, seeing as the first game is pretty much objectively perfect. My only complaint is the repetitive music - I wish they could generate good, randomly generated music to go along with the levels. But that's hardly enough to knock a mark off.

I think they knocked a point off because it seemed like there was so much new crazy stuff going on that it was easier to get killed (which is daft... "git gud" and all that). The music is fantastic, I don't know what you're on about! So good that I got it on wax...

I tried playing the original again recently (I bounced off it pretty hard). It is excellent but (and I realise this is probably blasphemy against it's well woven design) I wish I could play it without the looming threat of the ghosts arrival and explore more casually.

Well, still plugging away here trying to get to hell. I've been pretty consistent at doing about the first 2/3rds of it all more of less since beating Olmec again but the last few steps remain beyond me. I've had some cracking luck on the way: Anubis nowhere to be found and the scepter disappearing somewhere (probably in some lava), having the scepter crushed by those moving blocks, getting the scepter then having a fucking dark stage straight afterwards etc. etc. All good Spelunky fare.

The last run was my closest, killing Anubis 2 then getting squished as I fucked up using Olmec to get in the door to hell :facepalm:. I think I'm just going to write this post, turn my PC off, go to bed and stare at the ceiling while trying to process the regret in my heart.

At least I've got a few more normal clears under my belt in the process though!

Have Sony secured a timed exclusive for this, then, compared to the other consoles, at least? Has it been confirmed that it's Switch-bound at some point in the future? I'm still surprised that the first game was never ported.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/w/index.php?title=Spelunky_2&type=revision&diff=996863&oldid=996168

Dev from Blitworks has updated the pcgamingwiki page, looks like the framerate won't be capped at 60fps this time round.
Really good news! Spelunky was a bit funky at high refresh rates, you'd have to force 60hz or you'd get awful framepacing issues.
Bonus that we'll be able to play at nice high refresh rates and framerates. Smoother motion and lower input lag is always welcome in a game like this.

Steam cloud will be enabled this time round as well.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Have Sony secured a timed exclusive for this, then, compared to the other consoles, at least? Has it been confirmed that it's Switch-bound at some point in the future? I'm still surprised that the first game was never ported.

You have to assume some sort of deal with Sony, yeah. Let's all pray it's just a timed exclusive deal.

10 hours ago, Rsdio said:

Well, still plugging away here trying to get to hell. I've been pretty consistent at doing about the first 2/3rds of it all more of less since beating Olmec again but the last few steps remain beyond me. I've had some cracking luck on the way: Anubis nowhere to be found and the scepter disappearing somewhere (probably in some lava), having the scepter crushed by those moving blocks, getting the scepter then having a fucking dark stage straight afterwards etc. etc. All good Spelunky fare.

The last run was my closest, killing Anubis 2 then getting squished as I fucked up using Olmec to get in the door to hell :facepalm:. I think I'm just going to write this post, turn my PC off, go to bed and stare at the ceiling while trying to process the regret in my heart.

At least I've got a few more normal clears under my belt in the process though!

It took me so many attempts to get through the doorway to hell. Even when I'd do everything right I'd get to the door slightly too late, or get hit by a magma man coming up out of the lava, or end up underneath Olmec as he fell etc. And then when I finally got there it generated the worst level I think I've still ever seen - I started surrounded by loads of spinning balls on chains - I think I lasted less than 20 seconds. I got through it all in the end though...

By the way - the scepter can survive being dropped in lava, so if you know where it went you can always use a bomb to get it out again. I think the only way it can be destroyed is by one of those bastard sliding blocks.

2 days! :omg:

It's odd how little promotion there's been for it really; I mean for it's reputation Spelunky 2 could really clean up sales wise but they just don't seem to have bothered. To me it's strongly underestimating the power of pre-launch hype, I may be wrong.

26 minutes ago, Retroid said:

It's odd how little promotion there's been for it really; I mean for it's reputation Spelunky 2 could really clean up sales wise but they just don't seem to have bothered. To me it's strongly underestimating the power of pre-launch hype, I may be wrong.

Isn’t Spelunky a very niche game for the very hard core, nerdy gamers only? 
None of my gaming friends have ever played it (a lot of them never even heard about it) and asking both my kids who are both avid gamers by now, none of them had heard about Spelunky either.

Personally I’m very pumped for the sequel but whenever I mention it to friends they look at me as if I’m not right in the head, like they can’t comprehend why I’m excited for something they view as ‘yet another indie game’.

49 minutes ago, Retroid said:

So its out 15th September. Is that midnight tomorrow? Or midnight on the 15th? Or something else? Im either staying up late for it or getting up before work for it.

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

It's been so strangely quiet. I'm supposed to review it, but heard nothing back from them. A few others I know had the same. Obviously there was the Edge review and perhaps some big places have it, but there was no publicist to contact or anything like that. There was 1 update on the Mossmouth twitter last week to announce the price ($20 BTW). And that's it.

Most indie publishers would be doing tons more at this stage to publicise. And this is like the return of the king to a genre that's grown massively since the first game. As far as indie games go, there's nothing much bigger.

Perhaps everyone who cares already knows, and they'll be getting it regardless.

It's because the real Spelunky that all the pros play is the PC / Steam release, on the 29th I believe?

(My lack of Playstation ownership not a factor at all, and I'm totally not jealous. Honest)

42 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

It's because the real Spelunky that all the pros play is the PC / Steam release, on the 29th I believe?

(My lack of Playstation ownership not a factor at all, and I'm totally not jealous. Honest)

Ive got a GPDWIN 2 which I am fairly sure will be able to run it fine, this will be my weapon of choice going forward, because: bog play.

But there is no way on earth I am not playing it the second its out on the PS4, so will be double-dipping!

50 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

I've decided to just hold off since it's only a couple of weeks. I can't really justify buying the PS4 version since I'd never touch it again once it came to PC.

It'll sell on word of mouth alone, I'd imagine. No need to spend any money, just make sure you have a decent trailer and play the long game like they did first time round, let the passion of the playerbase spread the good word and let the game grow and grow.

I play games where there are like ten people on the leaderboard or something, so it's hard to judge for me. Spelunky looks hugely popular to me, but I suppose in the grand scheme of things, it must still be quite a niche, small game.

3 hours ago, Retroid said:

The review embargo is tomorrow IIRC, so that'll generate a bit more hype. 

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

IGN 10/10

https://www.ign.com/articles/spelunky-2-review

Polygon "Perfection"

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/9/14/21432681/spelunky-2-review-ps4-pc-steam

"Your muscle memory is weaponized against you.".

These reviews are pretty exciting. I wasn't sure what to think about a sequel, having thought the original couldn't be bettered. I described it to a friend "as if there was a sequel to Tetris". I'm encouraged to see this aspect talked about in the reviews, particularly in the Polygon one, which is very well-written...

I called Spelunky the game of the 2010s in an essay I wrote last year. “Spelunky is the closest that video games have come to perfection in this decade — or any decade,” I said then. “Its flaws and bugs aren’t problems; they’re brushstrokes, evidence that this little slice of the divine was in fact made by humans.”

To expand on that, Yu’s approach to Spelunky as a living project reminds me of J.M.W. Turner, a provocateur of the English Romantic painters. Turner would notoriously hang his paintings at competitions, then continue to tweak and revise the work in the middle of the public viewing. Already beautiful landscapes somehow became even more vibrant and striking. Days later, he could return to a masterpiece and discover yet another piece of profundity with a few additional strokes.

You know when you finish a movie or book or game you love, and you wish you could experience it again for the first time? That’s what it has felt like to play Spelunky 2. I get to play my favorite game for the first time all over again.

This isn’t a sequel. It’s yet another chance to play Spelunky with fresh eyes; everything is just a little different, another stroke that proves perfection is imperfect. Even the best can get better.