Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

1 hour ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Yeah, that's good advice early on, but once you've played more you'll teach yourself all these different strategies through trial and error for dealing with shopkeepers in various situations...

"Once you've played more..." (honestly - I agree with everything in your post, but that bit made me chuckle ;) ) :

_spelTime01.png.86b891052290f453b28d1b59d73625f9.png

40 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

And yet another strategy for dealing with shopkeepers in that narrow exit channel, is to throw a corpse (caveman or damsel) in with them, then stand level with them outside the channel. They'll shoot the corpse and bop themselves over the head repeatedly until death.

Fiendish. I never thought of that. I'll have to try that the next time I play!

29 minutes ago, MarkN said:

that bit made me chuckle ;)

Haha, yeah, sorry, I meant newish players rather than you. I tried to reword it so it was more clear but I think it could still be read either way. I saw your score in the main thread. Hats off!

I'm not too far off your play time.

fQi36cU.jpg

2 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Fiendish. I never thought of that. I'll have to try that the next time I play!

You can also use it against any shopkeepers in the Ankh room. Just chuck as many corpses down there as you can, and stand above the pit so they keep shooting. Sometimes takes a long while, but it saves using bombs (and if you hit them with the corpse when you lob it in then that'll do damage too). Also chuck everything else down there you can on the off-chance it'll hit them (apart from the freeze gun, because if they pick that up after a knock-down they won't be able to kick up corpses to run in to).

I've always been against killing shopkeepers, but I've been watching a few old youtube vids and having a few refresher runs (it's been years) and although my old tactic was to try and get to £50k before the BM (which isn't toooo hard) yeah I can see that robbing the black market is probably the way to go, as you're just so kitted out after doing so.. I'll get practicing. I have beaten Olmec a few times and made it to hell once, but never finished it properly.

Another nice aim to go for if you've finished the game but are a lot of hours of practice off beating Hell is checking what characters you haven't collected yet - as you'll have to explore all the hidden levels and such in order to do that. I had forgotten about the Worm and the Haunted Castle!

On 09/08/2020 at 17:27, MarkN said:

"Once you've played more..." (honestly - I agree with everything in your post, but that bit made me chuckle ;) ) :

_spelTime01.png.86b891052290f453b28d1b59d73625f9.png

Oh my god.

(But, to be fair, I have 78 hours on steam, and that's BY FAR the least amount of time I have played of all the versions I own)

For anyone with the PC version today's daily challenge is a great one for having a crack at Hell. The black market has a jetpack and a load of bombs in it (and the level after it has a shop full of bombs too). Stupidly I forgot to use the Ankh, so ended up going to the Alien Mothership instead...

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome. Congratulations!

Since others on this thread suggested going for a Hell run I've made progress too and reached up to City of Gold (previously had only purchased Ankh and wasn't aggravating shopkeepers.)

I think I'll definitely reach Hell for the first time soon, but not sure I'll finish!

I did it. After spending hours on Bank Holiday Monday trying to make it to the final boss again, I did it on 2nd attempt:

Some ridiculous luck though:

Feel ready for Spelunky 2 now even though there are still secrets for me here. Watching the No Clip documentary and realised I've never reached

the Haunted House and the Worm

Congratulations, MW_Jimmy (and John0 before - I missed that post at the time). That City of Gold clip is exactly why I'm still playing the game daily - you find yourself in these nasty situations so often, and when you squeak through like that it feels ace.

I don't have anything as exciting as the above but I've been dabbling a bit again. I spent a good few hours just trying to rob every shop regardless of whether it made sense purely to get used to dealing with the shopkeepers in a variety of situations. The amount of times I've immediately died after thinking 'Nah, there's no way they can bounce up that gap' :lol:

After sloooowly getting better at not being instantly killed by those absolute bastards I started trying to make actual progress towards hell and the best I managed was to get to the City of Gold. However I soon realised it'd been so long since I beat Olmec on PS4 (6 years, apparently!) that I basically needed to start learning the game over from scratch and at least get to the point where I could do normal ironman run before trying to go for that. Since I'm playing on Steam now that kind of worked out OK anyway since it was basically a fresh save. I do miss the PS4 controller sound effects though, they were perfect for it since I usually have my own music on while playing.

Some of that earlier work did stand me in good stead as I'm not even sure I went to the black market the first time I played this but having done so a few times it's easy to see how much it improves your chances of success. You come out proper tooled up. Funny how it generally seems to be the easiest part of an 'angry shopkeeper' run as well.

Anway, just got the ironman trophy again so I'm beaming. Can finally start trying for hell in earnest now!

Nice work!

One thing to remember is that you don't have to kill the shopkeepers guarding the exits. It's often safer to just nip past them. Once riled, you can often hang on a ledge above, watch how they move to find a pattern, then drop down and nip in when there's a gap. The moment you hit the button to enter you're safe, so you only need half a second to squeak past them. In the first level the ones in narrow channels can be by-passed by stomping them on the head by dropping down the centre of the channel, then nipping through while they're briefly stunned (there is a chance you'll get stunned by their dropped gun (I think) which will prove fatal, but it *usually* works. 

Yeah, I've been making use of all that thanks - I try to avoid them if at all possible as they do seem to have moments where the normal rules don't apply and they're so manic at the best of times. If I don't have a decent supply of sticky bombs to 'manage the situation' I'll generally be screwed before long though. I've got no idea how people manage to whip them and nick the shotgun reliably, they recover so quickly that I generally haven't even processed where it's landed before I'm stunlocked. In the mines it seems especially hard since the colour of it can really blend into the background.

It's funny, looking on PSN Profiles only 3% of players have done even one ironman run so you'd think I'd feel I was doing alright, but the deeper you go the worse you realise you are ^_^. Really glad I stopped thinking it was a game I had to figure out the old fashioned way too because there's zero chance I'd have figured out all the steps to get to hell on my own.

Just now, GamesGamesGames said:

I hope this is playable on Vita too.

That would be nice, but the Vita has been hanging on by a thread for years now. I think a Switch port would be the one to cross your fingers for.

I've been replaying Spelunky 1 on Vita for the past few weeks though, it is great (albeit really slow in the City of Gold)

I just bought a Vita (OLED model) this past week and have been playing a lot of (too much) Spelunky. It's a perfect fit for the Vita, but I've already kind of accepted that Spelunky 2 on the Vita probably won't happen. And after getting to the City of Gold a few times, and witnessing the slowdown firsthand; I'm not even sure the Vita could handle Spelunky 2's new physics model. I think a Switch port is probably what we're going to end up with. I, mean, the Switch is great and all, but after finally spending some quality time with the Vita, I'd rather take a Vita port over a Switch port of pretty much any indie game. 

55 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Nope. Which isn't to say it won't happen, but I wouldn't expect one for a while at least. 

I'm pretty surprised that Mossmouth totally missed the open goal that would have been a port of the first game on Switch. Don't they like money? They could have farmed it out to a decent port house while still working on the sequel. Missed out on at least 5 sales in my family alone!

Well, depends on what you found "miserable" about Celeste.

If it was the narrative, then you'll be much happier here, as it isn't downbeat at all, and has a good sense of humour.

If it was because you found the game to be too hardcore and unforgiving, then Spelunky might not be the game you are looking for.