Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

Finished it on the daily challenge today, KAPOW

Having played this a fair bit now I think a lot of the small decisions just aren't very fun - like when there are creatures in pots they have basically no stun time, so either you compulsively whip every pot twice or a scorpion kills you every now and again. But double-whipping pots isn't exactly enjoyable. And avoiding the insta-kill man traps in the jungle just requires treating every bit of foreground foliage with suspicion, but having a bit of a careful look at foliage to see if there's metal behind it isn't enjoyable, exactly. I definitely don't think the balance is right and a lot of the small decisions don't make it more fun

• 4 weeks later...

People still playing this?

I finally beat the game (with the normal ending), so i've been getting to grips with the secrets. I managed to get to the secret stage beyond the normal boss level,(it's really cool) and was killed in a really banal way.

Still having loads of fun with this (although some days, i'll just have 5 or 6 runs in a row where I barely make it out of World 1, and just give up in a mood). GOTY for me!!

I got a bit beaten down by tiny errors costing me good runs so often that I felt like I needed a break, but I've tried to go back to it in the last few days. I have a single Ironman win, but everything else apart from that feels suuuper difficult. I spent a while trying to do the Sparrow questline without success. And now realise that you don't have to go to the Temple to get the item that allows you to make it to the world after the final boss, so slowly plugging away at that too.

They changed Olmec! Still feel like that might be the weakest part of the game, but at least you don't feel like you need to go and do something else for 5 minutes half-way though the fight. Have died on him a couple of times while I get used to it though.

I think, with the benefit of being a bit separated from the hype of the launch I'm coming around to a few of the criticisms of the game a bit more now. The mounts and juggling multiple items does feel quite laborious, for example.

Yep, still playing 3 or 4 runs a day but haven’t beaten it. I didn’t play the first game much and I refuse to look up any hints so it’s been a tough but hugely rewarding experience. I’m just over 900 deaths, all shortcuts open and I can get the sword! I’d agree it’s game of the year. So refined, wonderful gameplay. Never gets old for me. I can’t fault it.

1 hour ago, Beezer said:

Yep, still playing 3 or 4 runs a day but haven’t beaten it. I didn’t play the first game much and I refuse to look up any hints so it’s been a tough but hugely rewarding experience. I’m just over 900 deaths, all shortcuts open and I can get the sword! I’d agree it’s game of the year. So refined, wonderful gameplay. Never gets old for me. I can’t fault it.

Same, 3 to 4 a day is about right. I get to the levels after the ice one fairly consistently now but really struggle on the boss. 

Yesterday I got all the way to the door before the boss with a shotgun, loads of health, bombs etc. when an electricity ball swung across the exit and knocked me into the lava <_<

today I got to the drill with an astonishing 12 lives, accidentally drilled right through a shop but managed to stomp the shopkeeper on the way down. Got the vampire cape, then a viscous shopkeeper took 9 lives to kill me on the 4-1 exit.

I was playing 2-3 runs a day and watching a few streamers to look for any errors to avoid late game.  Managed to get the 'hard' ending so I checked what's involved for the 'very hard' ending.  Sod that, not fun at all, but kudos for anyone to comit to it.

Still, the hard ending is probably my best gaming achievement this year and not one I will likely repeat for a while.  One good thing to come out of UK Lockdown 2020.   For me its a great game, just a bit too punishing to really be endearing

I've been playing the daily every day, and occasionally having a couple of extra goes. Good timing for this thread to pop up again, because I finally beat the game for the first time (ironman) yesterday. I'll probably look at taking different routes more often now - I've been sticking to going through the jungle pretty much exclusively, mainly for the black market, but also because it's become one of my favourite areas. There's loads of stuff I still haven't seen or worked out yet, so lots still to do. Still really enjoying it, and will probably stick with the daily for a long time yet. Certainly some of the tweaks that have been made have improved the game since launch, but I'd still like a few more (I still find it too easy to miss a head stomp, there's too many instances where you should be able to damage moles but can't, etc.)

3 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

I'm trying to unlock shortcuts so I can practise some of the later areas. Any tips for getting a helper past world 4 without them killing themselves? :hmm:

I don't know if it's been patched but I did it by picking him up and putting him down, then running off, at the start of every level. He stayed put.

2 hours ago, donpeartree said:

I'm trying to unlock shortcuts so I can practise some of the later areas. Any tips for getting a helper past world 4 without them killing themselves? :hmm:

I've not managed it yet, but when I've tried I've had some success with dumping them somewhere they can't get out of, and then doing the level with them out of the way. I'm going to have a go at doing this next, now that I've got my first win out of the way. The tip I've seen is to use the shortcut to world 2, and take the volcano route because apparently there's always a helper at the start. The video I watched mainly had the player carrying them a short distance, dropping them, then picking them up immediately again, all the way through. I may give it a proper go myself later today.

2 hours ago, donpeartree said:

Spoiler

This challenge is so, so hard. Took me weeks. You can ‘train’ the helpers to fall asleep for longer. When you get one, they won’t stay asleep for long but after a few levels they will stay asleep for longer which makes it easier. However, for my money the best strat is to start on World 4 and get the helper from inside the big fish. There are a few strats for killing the big fish. Rob the gambling shop (bomb from up a ladder?) to get the shotgun is a decent shout, but careful not to shoot the helper accidentally. Alternatively get to the bottom of the water and whip the big fish from where you are safe.

21 hours ago, John0 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on what's the next natural thing to aim for after getting a "normal" win?

As far as I know, there's two ways to advance beyond the normal last boss. I'm not sure, but I reckon that the route that takes you through the black market might be the easier of the two, because you can stock up on loads of items. That's what I'm attempting! I got pretty close a couple of times, but it's so easy to mess up some integral later steps!

36 minutes ago, Couk said:

I reckon that the route that takes you through the black market might be the easier of the two, because you can stock up on loads of items.

I agree, not least of all because I have died more than once by

Spoiler

getting touched by lava as I climbed down the drill.

:doh:

Had a load of failed attempts at getting the helper to Mama Tunnel then this happens:

showOff01.thumb.png.469183845b6040e74abd534fe474a0c8.png

Honestly, you couldn't write this stuff.

It definitely seems like the hired helpers fall asleep much more quickly than when I last tried. The only time one woke up was when I was in danger relatively close to them, otherwise I was free to just complete the level without them. I picked up the 3rd helper in world 4, so it must be that they can spawn there if you already have one with you.

I never got Speedlunky on the first one, but started to have a pop at it last night after watching Dan Gheesling's recent 6-7 minute run. It actually feels kind of doable. I'm using the strategy to rob shopkeepers where you rope to stun and then just run.. but don't suppose anyone knows a reliable way to take the shotgun too? I reckon a shotgun (for Tiamat) and a green bomb box to quickly deal with anything that looks run ending would be enough to get me through it all. Was in Neo Babylon on about 7-8 mins last night but died trying to relieve a Bouncer of his shotgun.

Got my first Hundun win this evening! Actually took the bow all the way as well, but didn't dare try and get the arrow as it was my first time in the Sunken City and I am a massive wuss.

image.thumb.png.7badd01ec9e18d5bb43a7237f38b99e5.png

Video of the last 10 mins if anyone's interested, was quite a moment to run out of bombs!

Spoiler

On 30/12/2020 at 22:08, John0 said:

Got my first Hundun win this evening! Actually took the bow all the way as well, but didn't dare try and get the arrow as it was my first time in the Sunken City and I am a massive wuss.

image.thumb.png.7badd01ec9e18d5bb43a7237f38b99e5.png

Video of the last 10 mins if anyone's interested, was quite a moment to run out of bombs!

Hide contents

Madman. Well done! I got to the sunken city once, and got fragged by one of those blobby floors about halfway through. I've read up on the whole bow thing, it sounds real bloody hard to do, and then what comes after it sounds damn near impossible. I can't stand the thought of not being able to 100% complete this. I will persevere...

On 24/12/2020 at 06:18, Beezer said:

You whip pots? Madman! I always throw them for this reason (and cos they’re a useful weapon)

I'm sure I've died at least once to throwing a pot and then almost immediately getting poisoned by the red snake inside :/

I was thinking about the liquid physics today and whether it's worth having in the game - what does anyone think of it? I basically think the lava isn't adding anything. It makes the drill unusable about half the time and it only messes stages up rather than offering any fun benefit. It's odd how little it adds given how different it is code-wise to the first game (having physicsy bits)

On 29/12/2020 at 10:40, John0 said:

I'm using the strategy to rob shopkeepers where you rope to stun and then just run.. but don't suppose anyone knows a reliable way to take the shotgun too? 

I wouldn't say it was reliable, but when I rope stun the shopkeeper I usually try to pick up the shopkeeper and then immediately throw them out of the door.  Depending on the level they sometimes jump/fall away, giving you time to pick things up. 

Good effort on the Sunken City run too!

11 hours ago, Wizcat said:

I wouldn't say it was reliable, but when I rope stun the shopkeeper I usually try to pick up the shopkeeper and then immediately throw them out of the door.  Depending on the level they sometimes jump/fall away, giving you time to pick things up. 

Good effort on the Sunken City run too!

I actually realised that, as long as the shopkeeper doesn't have a locked door and a key then you can just pick up the shotgun immediately after roping and then run off. Managed to get Speedlunky a day or two after typing that message using this. If the shop has bombs you come away with a shotgun and 12 bombs, and with a bit of luck that's enough to get you to Tiamat with the required gun, 2 rope and 1 bomb for the quick win.

23 hours ago, Couk said:

Madman. Well done! I got to the sunken city once, and got fragged by one of those blobby floors about halfway through. I've read up on the whole bow thing, it sounds real bloody hard to do, and then what comes after it sounds damn near impossible. I can't stand the thought of not being able to 100% complete this. I will persevere...

Yeah I think 99% of it is just about perseverance, though I think I might call just getting to CO my endgame and be happy about that :). I think watching other people play has made the game easier for me. Not so much for the spoilers, though you pick up small little things here and there. But more just watching someone do something makes it seem more doable to you. If that makes sense. I tried to avoid all spoilers for the first few weeks, but figuring out what to do as well as doing it in between dying constantly got a bit much and I stopped even feeling like playing it at all. Doing something once you know how feels so much more achievable.

I had a death the other night that I cannot figure out - on the dice game it said I had cheated and got killed - I have no idea what the game means by this. I also throw the die against the forcefield as throwing it in other ways has always been too dangerous.

On 30/09/2020 at 20:55, Tomdominer said:

This is a video I like to call, deaths o' bullshit.

I've just watched this (been away from the thread to avoid spoilers but seen upto the boss now) and a lot of these don't seem that unfair to me. Hedgehogs jumping at the end of the roll is a thing that is learnable, and I wouldn't enter any shop with an enemy lurking nearby.

The worst design I think are the mantraps which are incredibly hard to spot visually, and the unavoidable deaths from enter/exiting doorways (although it feels like the invincibility on overlaps has been made more generous recently which helps, slightly)