rllmuk
Lorfarius

AMIGArama Podcast Episode 86: Pit-Fighter

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I always found the A1200 version of Theme Park bugged to fuck and virtually unplayable. People getting stuck, rides blowing up for no reason, game crashing in the contract negotiation screen, busses never turning up, shops that  don’t let you click on them, you can’t change prices for, and can’t be deleted, save game corruption and all sorts. Pretty sure the advice at the time was play the OCS version instead!

I think a lot of problems might have been fixed for the WHDLoad edition, they do seem to update a lot of games. I've played it for ages and not had any crashes or problems! Unless I was just lucky :lol:

Assuming it works would that be the closest to a definitive version we have then?

Apologies if that's in the episode, going to watch it after BTCC.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Was the Amiga the lead platform for this, then? I’d moved onto PC by then, and always think of it as a PC game. 

Yep. Seemed to be the way for most of their early stuff.

8 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I think a lot of problems might have been fixed for the WHDLoad edition, they do seem to update a lot of games. I've played it for ages and not had any crashes or problems! Unless I was just lucky :lol:

I don't doubt it, and there may even have been a later disk release than the one I had, but I do recall Amiga Format mentioning it at the time too.

• Upvote 1

On 09/04/2019 at 14:45, Dudley said:

Psycho Santa!  

Very fond memories of that game.

It's probably dreadful now.

It's on my list of Xmas games to cover!

Yeah.  That's as terrible as I expected.  There's just not a game there.

I can see it as a multiplayer arcade "Play a bit and leave it" experience. But as a home game for twenty five actual pounds? I think you're entirely fair on it.

• Upvote 1

I remember the C64 version being quite good. I had it as part of a compilation* and played it quite a bit. Might have my rose tints on though...

*a quick Google reveals that it was We Are The Champions along with Target Renegade, Super Sprint, IK+ and Barbarian. Now THAT is a compilation worth having.

19 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

I remember the C64 version being quite good. I had it as part of a compilation* and played it quite a bit. Might have my rose tints on though...

*a quick Google reveals that it was We Are The Champions along with Target Renegade, Super Sprint, IK+ and Barbarian. Now THAT is a compilation worth having.

Thinking back on it more I'm sure I had the Speccy version.  Even with the colour clash that doesn't seem half bad looking at Youtube. Not in the same league as the C64 one!

Slight derail, but this blew my mind a tiny bit when I saw it. Turrican 2, in 256 colours, for the PC:

It reminds me a bit of modern remasters, because some of the art choices and reworked sprites look wrong, but it's just interesting in that I never knew it existed. It's one of those obscure ports that seem like something from a parallel universe, like the Amiga version of Castlevania.

• Upvote 3

I was always careful of booting my snidey copy of Super Off Road for fear of my mam walking in when the cracked screen appeared. 

Mint game though.  Very fond memories of playing it. Enjoyed revisiting it at Arcade Club. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

I swap between the two.  For games I don't know it's really handy to have the visuals.

It's a bit weird at times, a few people have said things like "why are you talking like this when it's a vid" :lol: In the early days I didn't even bother with footage!

14 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I envy your lack of editing certainly. My upcoming Rise of the Robots episode is murderous in places.

It's nice and easy for the footage for sure as it's just straightforward gameplay but the audio is a nightmare to edit. I have to split each show into 3 sections then go through it minute by minute to sort out the gaps and remove dodgy sound. Each third can take a good hour to do and I don't even know what I'm doing half the time :lol:  Big editing change coming up in a couple of shows as I've finally figured out the silence tool :blink2: Click removal soon with any luck.

• Upvote 1

3 whole hours you say.

*dissolves into tears*

Although this of course is why you can be weekly without literally dying :)  I don't think breaking up your game footage would add much to Amigarama anyway, and it'd directly impact the audio version.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

3 whole hours you say.

*dissolves into tears*

Although this of course is why you can be weekly without literally dying :)  I don't think breaking up your game footage would add much to Amigarama anyway, and it'd directly impact the audio version.

The worst part is the episode prep :lol: Reviewing stuff is hard!