rllmuk
Lorfarius

AMIGArama Podcast Episode 85: Exolon

@Lorfarius a couple of questions...

Your podcasts are understandably quite short. As my commute is around an hour I’d want to listen to a couple in one go. Do you know if there’s a way to get the iPhone podcast client to automatically move on to the next episode?

Have you thought about adding a short Amiga news section to the podcast, or do you want to keep this dedicated to a single game per episode?

Finally... I’ve not listened to an episode, but am looking forward to getting stuck in. Keep up the great work!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

@Lorfarius a couple of questions...

Your podcasts are understandably quite short. As my commute is around an hour I’d want to listen to a couple in one go. Do you know if there’s a way to get the iPhone podcast client to automatically move on to the next episode?

Have you thought about adding a short Amiga news section to the podcast, or do you want to keep this dedicated to a single game per episode?

Finally... I’ve not listened to an episode, but am looking forward to getting stuck in. Keep up the great work!

I don't know for sure as I'm on a Samsung but this page mentions queuing them up about half way down (How to Build a Queue in Podcasts App)

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2017/09/how-to-use-ios-11-podcasts-app-iphone-ipad.html

Not to worry, they do have a news section. I usually spend 5-10 minutes at the beginning of each talking about the latest stuff. Only one I didn't was on the first as I was finding my feet but I also stick the links for what I'm talking about in the description box and on the page for the episode:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-episode-11-batman-the-movie/

And hope you enjoy them, I think I've been improving as I go and they have grown a little in length as times gone on.  Always depends on the game though as some have much more history than others.  Flight of the Amazon Queen has been the longest at over 30 minutes so far.

Mount those turrets and strap in for some chopper fun as Lorfarius returns to the Gulf to take on... Desert strike.

https://amigarama.podbean.com/e/amigarama-episode-13-desert-strike/

And a big announcement... this coming Friday I will be hosting a 1 hour Amiga music show at 8PM live via the AMIGArama website/Youtube.  I've selected a good playlist and will be doing my best to come up with a good radio show to go alongside it!

36 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

"Mount" "chopper" "turrets" "big" "coming" "strap in on"

WTF Lorf? This is supposed to be a family show!

Where we're going we don't need roads 8-)

On 18/01/2018 at 15:39, roberthazelby said:

I can answer this one. You can, but the settings aren't within the app, they're in the main iPhone settings. 

IMG_3430.PNG.8c54df20c87318c162cc670504e8236a.PNG

• Upvote 1

There's an option on the iOS podcast app to listen to podcasts either from oldest to newest, or newest to oldest. You can select it on a per-podcast basis, and the default is newest to oldest - which is bizarre, because who listens to podcasts in reverse order? To access it, go to the 'Shows' menu, select the podcast in question, select the purple circle with three dots in it, and then select 'Settings' from the menu that pops up.

59 minutes ago, deKay said:

I really don't know how you can play Desert Strike with just one button. Even on the Mega Drive 3 buttons weren't quite enough.

I sort of get it. Most players at the time would have been hunched over the system and have the joystick in hand, it's very, very lazy programming though. They could have easily added an option for more buttons. Others aren't locked to one.

I always thought that Desert Strike on the Amiga looked amazing and had brilliant music, but played at about half the speed of the Mega Drive version. Like, the additional animations on the explosions and the Apache made it look spectacular, but it was just so slow.

Really enjoying this. Jumped in at Desert Strike, have listened up to the present day and am currently downloading episode 1.

Each episode is a pretty good length for one trip to/from work.

I never actually had an Amiga of my own, but I had a few good friends with them, so I've spent a lot of time playing some of these games.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Really enjoying this. Jumped in at Desert Strike, have listened up to the present day and am currently downloading episode 1.

Each episode is a pretty good length for one trip to/from work.

I never actually had an Amiga of my own, but I had a few good friends with them, so I've spent a lot of time playing some of these games.

Happy you are enjoying it!  I think I'm starting to get in the groove so to speak. I know a lot of podcasts tend to spin off into an hour but I'm always aiming to keep it limited to 30 minutes at a time as a lot of people seem to prefer a shorter format.  Though I've had a few people/developers get in touch so I might do the odd interview episode along the way!

Be really interested to know what you thought of the music show when you get to it.  I'm half tempted to start doing more of those on a regular basis, depends if the interest is there though!

• Upvote 1

Thanks to your help, @Lorfarius, and others in this thread, I’ve got past the “limitation” of the show being half an hour or so, and now stockpile a couple of issues to plough through in one commute.

I’m looking forward to listening to the music and Street Fighter 2 episodes.

• Upvote 1

I'm off work this week so given me some time to sink into the next few episode!  Had one hell of a morning.. spent 3 hours doing research for HeroQuest :lol: I think this episode is going to be a huge one. God what a great game and so much to cover! Should be up in a couple of weeks :hat: Feel like I need to go and lie down!

• Upvote 2

I'll definitely grab the music episode to keep around as a standalone. Some great stuff in there. Good choice to open with Monkey Island, obviously. 

The one that really took me back was Desert Strike. I'd clean forgotten that my A1200-owning friend Dave and I used to trade audio tapes of our favourite game music. He must have put the Desert Strike theme on one of them. 

I should link him to your show really. 

Was there a bit of a technical issue on the live stream? The intros and outros of each music track seem to have a kind of stuttery effect, like they're briefly playing over themselves. 

Wing Commander for music episode 2, please. :)

• Upvote 1

On 22/02/2018 at 11:57, Lorfarius said:

I'm off work this week so given me some time to sink into the next few episode!  Had one hell of a morning.. spent 3 hours doing research for HeroQuest :lol: I think this episode is going to be a huge one. God what a great game and so much to cover! Should be up in a couple of weeks :hat: Feel like I need to go and lie down!

I love Hero Quest so we can still hang out, but I'm warning you now, you'd better like Space Crusade too.

10 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'll definitely grab the music episode to keep around as a standalone. Some great stuff in there. Good choice to open with Monkey Island, obviously. 

The one that really took me back was Desert Strike. I'd clean forgotten that my A1200-owning friend Dave and I used to trade audio tapes of our favourite game music. He must have put the Desert Strike theme on one of them. 

I should link him to your show really. 

Was there a bit of a technical issue on the live stream? The intros and outros of each music track seem to have a kind of stuttery effect, like they're briefly playing over themselves. 

Wing Commander for music episode 2, please. :)

You are the first to mention audio issues but but it's possible as it was pretty much my first attempt! :lol: Will def keep them in mind though so thanks.  One thing I had to do with each track was edit them a bit to make them more suitable for stereo stream.  They sounded way too flat for live play to my ears and I wonder if the tool I used ruined that part of it. I'll make sure to give them a good do over before I do the next show.

I did have a problem with having physically moving my mouse very, very quietly to try and not make a noise to select each song with a click.  Doesn't sound too bad when using it day to day but the echo in a normal room... Since then I've bought a non click silent mouse!  Won't have to sit there with a tea towel over my hand during live shows :lol:

I shall add Wing Commander to the list!

Just had a listen to the music episode, which I enjoyed very much.

A few bits of feedback...

The bitrate is too low for a music podcast. It’s ok for speech, but the bitrate used is crucifying the tunes. They sound awful, especially the percussion.

Cannon Fodder and Agony didn’t play properly. Both are missing sound channels.

Before each song, as well as naming the game or demo it would be nice to have the software label, year of release, and must importantly the composer.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1