Lorfarius

AMIGArama Podcast Episode 73: Cybernoid The Fighting Machine

I loved MR in the arcade...got the Amiga version with my subscription to Zero. Remember waiting anxiously for the postie everyday to deliver it.

Cracking conversion, just took no time at all to finish with not much replay value apart from whizzing through it just for the hell of it.

”PICK A WEAPON!”

• Upvote 2

Dunno, think the conversions on all formats were well received, especially Jim Bagley’s chunky Spectrum take on it ( though I massively struggled with the flick screen nature of that version)

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2019 at 22:17, luth714 said:

I loved MR in the arcade...got the Amiga version with my subscription to Zero. Remember waiting anxiously for the postie everyday to deliver it.

Cracking conversion, just took no time at all to finish with not much replay value apart from whizzing through it just for the hell of it.

”PICK A WEAPON!”

I got it with my Zero sub too!

I'd like to play it with twin stick controls, the attempt at replicating the twisty stick mechanism was laudable but never going to be great.

• Upvote 1

Was trying to play it on MAME earlier, didn't know about the twisty joystick thing. Wasn't Commando or Ikari Warriors the same thing? Can it be done with twin sticks on MAME or is there no point in trying?

Yes - Ikari Warriors, Victory Road and Guerrilla War all used the rotational joysticks.

As for Mame I’ve always wondered the same thing - my mate and I loved the rotational joystick SNK games - our particular favourite was S.A.R (Search and Rescue) which was basically top down scrolling shooting inspired by Aliens with infected crew members, malfunctioning mechs, collapsing ruined spaceship - but unfortunately I think the control system was beyond the ability of most of the urchins in the arcade room at the back of the video shop preferring the WWF games :( so swiftly moved on from the room leaving us pining for it...

Sadly never been able to figure out if Mame controls can be mapped for twin sticks - on my old Xbox the triggers rotated clockwise and anti-clockwise but there was no precision.

My mate and I also had a soft spot for the Imagine conversion of Victory Road on his Amatrad despite no rotational attempt :) 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

I got it with my Zero sub too!

I'd like to play it with twin stick controls, the attempt at replicating the twisty stick mechanism was laudable but never going to be great.

My mate chose Lost Patrol with his sub...fond memories of that too

Sad to see the old music go, but I like your new jingle too!

I always thought SWIV stood for Special Weapons Interdiction Vehicle; not sure where I read that, though. 

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Sad to see the old music go, but I like your new jingle too!

I always thought SWIV stood for Special Weapons Interdiction Vehicle; not sure where I read that, though. 

Thanks, no one seems to have noticed it yet :lol:

Prolly one of the mags making it up!

20 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Prolly one of the mags making it up!

It's in the manual. Could easily have been some copywriter adding some random bumf for flavour though. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've not even heard of this one.  I'll have to catch the video version this week.

Sort of stumbled across it after reading the Hewson book. I had to stop myself from doing a months special about their games as there's loads :lol:

Yeah it's before my 16-bit time but I can see what Lorfarius means by "Enhanced 8-bit graphics".  It's stuff like the dithering on the background.