Lorfarius

AMIGArama Podcast Episode 51: Walker

5 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

Just had a listen to the music episode, which I enjoyed very much.

A few bits of feedback...

The bitrate is too low for a music podcast. It’s ok for speech, but the bitrate used is crucifying the tunes. They sound awful, especially the percussion.

Cannon Fodder and Agony didn’t play properly. Both are missing sound channels.

Before each song, as well as naming the game or demo it would be nice to have the software label, year of release, and must importantly the composer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. That was a live stream I did to play the music was more to see what people thought of it as a format.  If it did okay I'd sort something proper in future episodes but was more a learning experience.  Not many people could make it live so I just stuck it up on the feed as is.  If I do more I'd record something more direct via audacity.

All of the audio was taken from an actual Amiga not sure what you mean by sound channels?

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

All of the audio was taken from an actual Amiga not sure what you mean by sound channels?

Cannon Fodder was missing almost all the speech and Agony only featured the background instruments and not the main piano part.

Have a listen.

16 minutes ago, roberthazelby said:

Cannon Fodder was missing almost all the speech and Agony only featured the background instruments and not the main piano part.

Have a listen.

See above. Just ran it through my player and seemed okay to me :o

Does the stream have the crazy Amiga hard left and right panned audio? If your stereo panning isn't straight down the middle the channels have a tendency to go really quiet or drop out completely.

30 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Does the stream have the crazy Amiga hard left and right panned audio? If your stereo panning isn't straight down the middle the channels have a tendency to go really quiet or drop out completely.

No idea, this is the stream I used. I've started it at the Cannon Fodder bit:

I just grabbed a copy of the audio after it was done.

I'll be honest I forgot to hit record in Audacity when I was doing the livestream but is there some sort of setting in that which would prevent this split?

Just had a listen to your YouTube clip on my iPhone and that is also missing the majority of speech from Cannon Fodder and the main piano channel from Agony.

I’ve just tested this on my iPhone. I can test it on a desktop later.

7 minutes ago, roberthazelby said:

Just had a listen to your YouTube clip on my iPhone and that is also missing the majority of speech from Cannon Fodder and the main piano channel from Agony.

I’ve just tested this on my iPhone. I can test it on a desktop later.

I just tried it on 2 mobiles through the speaker phone on them and the voices are gone for Cannon Fodder! But as soon as I put headphones in they were there :wacko:

• Upvote 1

For this week I've gone with HeroQuest. This is the longest episode I've done so far coming in at over 35 minutes! Did loads of research and even go into a bit of GamesWorkshop itself and to top it all off... this is an amazing game. Just look at the art work!

Link

HQ Art.jpg

This has turned into my most downloaded episode in a single day! I had a huge increase with SF2 but this was even higher!  People really love HQ it seems :D Some gameplay footage alongside the podcast:

• Upvote 1

The music on Nitro was absolutely stellar, the tune that played when a race was loading always made me want to punch the air. Plus, that super chilled track from the shop screen. 

I loved Nitro, but always found it frustrating that it was so easy. You could accumulate so much fuel so quickly that you could just play through the whole thing without fear of failure. I guess it was aimed more at multiplayer

35 minutes ago, K said:

The music on Nitro was absolutely stellar, the tune that played when a race was loading always made me want to punch the air. Plus, that super chilled track from the shop screen. 

I loved Nitro, but always found it frustrating that it was so easy. You could accumulate so much fuel so quickly that you could just play through the whole thing without fear of failure. I guess it was aimed more at multiplayer

It was good music but needed more!  It feels very much like a prototype racing game, can understand why they went on to bigger and better games. Good start though!

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

It was good music but needed more!  It feels very much like a prototype racing game, can understand why they went on to bigger and better games. Good start though!

Jamie Woodhouse did an iOS racing game a few years ago that was very similar to Nitro, except without the post-apocalyptic setting. It probably no longer works on iOS11, but it was pretty good fun and absolutely bastard hard.

Just now, K said:

Jamie Woodhouse did an iOS racing game a few years ago that was very similar to Nitro, except without the post-apocalyptic setting. It probably no longer works on iOS11, but it was pretty good fun and absolutely bastard hard.

This one:

I bought a copy at the time. Was a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

That's the one! Seems as though it now works on iOS11, so might give it another try.

10 minutes ago, K said:

That's the one! Seems as though it now works on iOS11, so might give it another try.

I'm lucky, still got an iPad from 2012 :lol: Never updated!

Not sure if people think this is a sports title as I'm not getting much chatter about it! In other news I'm off work for Easter now so I've been beavering away on a few episodes. I really want to cover Frontier Elite so I'm dedicating some serious time to it this week. Should make for a great episode!

I only ever played the demo of Speris Legacy but it fits perfectly in to the mini-trend of Zelda clones towards the end of the Amiga's life (Darkstone and Legends were the other two). They all completely miss what it was about LTTP that made it feel so alive. The environments always felt static and limited in comparison, in LTTP you're always looked under and behind things, lifting things up and chucking them about, pushing and pulling, chopping your way through grass etc. There's this real sense of physicality to the world. None of that survived the translation on to Amiga.

• Upvote 1