Lorfarius

AMIGArama Podcast Episode 51: Walker

16 minutes ago, Treble said:

I didn't play a huge array of Amiga games, but I was very enamoured of Robocop 3. Just if you're looking for odd/good stuff to choose :)

Might be in luck I've had that one on my list for ages. Just a matter of finding the interesting history :)

• Upvote 1

Nice one! Just listened to the Stunt Car Racer episode, and the music played on the organ in The Simpsons is In a Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly. Just in case it was driving (hah!) you nuts :)

• Upvote 1

I've decided that I'm going to be covering all 3 SOTB games :o Usually I would space something like this out but there's enough difference between the games that should be fun to cover them all.

I've been looking into a few games as well at some point I need to tackle Cannon Fodder and Superfrog but Civilization is up there too. So many games to do and only 1 show a week though that might be about to change for Patreon supporters this weekend :hat: 

Had a few people ask me how I can keep up doing this each week put simply I'm finding its loads of fun. I've not even approached some of the real stinkers yet though I will spread them out a bit. Don't want weeks of rubbish games in a row!

30 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Shadow of the Beast 2 was rock hard. Be interesting to see how you get on with it without the ten pints cheat. 

Just wait til you see the game play footage :lol:

• Upvote 1

And with that we have Shadow of the Beast 2. This really is a Beast of a game (ho ho!) and I think it does more than the first could ever hope to achieve.. but... well have to listen and see:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-podcast-episode-47-shadow-of-the-beast-ii/

This is also going to be the start of something huge. This week I am releasing 2 shows going forward, the first will be the latest episode and the other... for Patreon supporters only :o I've really stepped up my game and will be releasing the next episode 7 days early... each week!  So if you want to learn how the adventure continues you will have to stop by the page :lol:

• Upvote 2

We finally bring the Beast trilogy to a close!  Not many series that change as much as this one on a single generation but it really has been an interesting deep dive to cover. Next week we will be looking at Speedball 2 so quite the change! Up now for Patreons :hat:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-podcast-episode-48-shadow-of-the-beast-iii/

Note: You will need something capable of playing stereo to hear the Amiga music in all its glory. I know we have a few people with mono speaker setups.  Also the footage is a bit limited around a couple of levels, not sure why but no matter which version of this I tried to play on WHDLoad, or WINUAE just kept crashing or breaking in certain spots.  Only way I can get decent footage so I tried my best!

• Upvote 1

Really enjoyed the Beast 3 episode, but after  months where the music was playing without issue this week had gone back to only 2 out of 4 sound channels being heard.

That said, It's been a fantastic three parter. Possibly your best work yet, in my opinion.

17 hours ago, roberthazelby said:

Really enjoyed the Beast 3 episode, but after  months where the music was playing without issue this week had gone back to only 2 out of 4 sound channels being heard.

That said, It's been a fantastic three parter. Possibly your best work yet, in my opinion.

Thanks!  Was a bit weird focusing on a single series and was worried it would put people off but the 3rd episode seems to have been really popular. Hope its not going to be a let down this week with Speedball 2 but I needed to take it easy :lol:

For the sound I think it's the Amiga music that does it. I have a collection of them that have come straight from MOD files, audacity shows them as stereo so if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix that I'm all ears!  Most of the time I will grab it from Youtube but some tunes just aren't avaliable :(

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Thanks!  Was a bit weird focusing on a single series and was worried it would put people off but the 3rd episode seems to have been really popular. Hope its not going to be a let down this week with Speedball 2 but I needed to take it easy :lol:

For the sound I think it's the Amiga music that does it. I have a collection of them that have come straight from MOD files, audacity shows them as stereo so if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix that I'm all ears!  Most of the time I will grab it from Youtube but some tunes just aren't avaliable :(

The Amiga hard pans two sound channels to the left and two to the right, which I'd guess is what's causing the issue. Either the left or right channels are getting lost. 

I'm not sure how you'd get around it, if you have the original MODs you could play them through a PC tracker and tweak the panning so the channels are nearer the centre. Other than that converting the tracks to mono and checking you've not lost anything or a way of reducing the stereo separation. There must be a way of doing it whatever editing software you're using. 

• Upvote 2

On 29/04/2018 at 10:10, Lorfarius said:

Something a bit less serious than Space Marines this week, a trip out with the Tinies in the Fury of the Furries. Which just might be one of the best game titles I've ever seen:

Link

One of us has been pronouncing this title wrong for 25 years.

Surely it's "Fur-ries"

Not "Furys"?

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

One of us has been pronouncing this title wrong for 25 years.

Surely it's "Fur-ries"

Not "Furys"?

No idea, but my brain is wired to say that :lol:

In my brain Pirates will never be an Amiga game, Microprose == PC forever but Sid Meier owes me a lot of childhood back and this is at least equal to the other 2 more obvious names of his for that.

• Upvote 1

I'm really pleased today because after listening through them all in order, I've finally caught up to the latest Amigarama (not counting the early release for Patreons).

I never actually had an Amiga myself, but a couple of my best friends did when I was at school, so I do have fond memories of a lot of these games. A few of them (eg SWOS, Speedball 2, Desert Strike) I even still play to this day, either via UAE or on other formats.

I've definitely learned about a good few games that I'd like to check out. Now if I only actually had time to play games...

Gave you a five-star rating on iTunes. Keep up the good work.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'm really pleased today because after listening through them all in order, I've finally caught up to the latest Amigarama (not counting the early release for Patreons).

I never actually had an Amiga myself, but a couple of my best friends did when I was at school, so I do have fond memories of a lot of these games. A few of them (eg SWOS, Speedball 2, Desert Strike) I even still play to this day, either via UAE or on other formats.

I've definitely learned about a good few games that I'd like to check out. Now if I only actually had time to play games...

Gave you a five-star rating on iTunes. Keep up the good work.

Awesome and thank you :) iTunes really does help as it gets the show noticed in the charts which means more listeners!  Going to keep posting the early Patreon episodes, think it's a nice bonus for those who support at the higher levels and it's not caused any problems when  it comes to production time. I do worry about the earlier episodes as I didn't really have a clue to what I was doing so they were a bit short.  Couple of the games I did back then (Monkey Island comes to mind) should have been longer so one day I might go back and redo some of them.

I've been surprised at just how many great games the Amiga has and I've barely begun, exploring them each week means I really do get chance to appreciate them properly and its still fun digging through them each week. Though I do need to start covering some bad games soon :lol:

• Upvote 3

At home we had an Amstrad CPC from 1986 onwards. So when it comes to a lot of the multiplatform games, I would have played them on the Amstrad. Revisiting the superior Amiga versions nowadays is a bit like getting a free HD remaster for my childhood memories.

Similarly, but at the other end of the Amiga cycle, we got a DOS PC in 1994. So I've played a fair few of the later Amiga games (eg Enemy Unknown) on the PC instead of the Amiga.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

At home we had an Amstrad CPC from 1986 onwards. So when it comes to a lot of the multiplatform games, I would have played them on the Amstrad. Revisiting the superior Amiga versions nowadays is a bit like getting a free HD remaster for my childhood memories.

Similarly, but at the other end of the Amiga cycle, we got a DOS PC in 1994. So I've played a fair few of the later Amiga games (eg Enemy Unknown) on the PC instead of the Amiga.

I never even saw an Amstrad growing up, was all Speccy for me.  But think we got a PC the same year, sure it was 94 when I first started using DOS as a kid.

I've never had an Amiga, but Pirates is one of my favourite games ever.  The first time I played it was on PSP.  I've since picked it up on X-box and the rom of the NES game.

It's repetitive, especially the dancing, but I never get bored of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I say said:

I've never had an Amiga, but Pirates is one of my favourite games ever.  The first time I played it was on PSP.  I've since picked it up on X-box and the rom of the NES game.

It's def an underappreciated classic, hardly anyone ever seems to recommend it these days sadly.

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2018 at 05:09, I say said:

Having never played the newer versions.

The dancing?

• Upvote 1

Governors' daughters invite you to balls - the more attractive the daughter, the higher the rank you need to be to be invited.  The dancing is a basic rhythm game.  Pass, and they often give you useful items and information.  You can also marry one.

• Upvote 2

I'm a big fan of Walker, but you're absolutely right.  There's very little sense of progression, it needs more weapons and just more variety in general.  It'll always remain one of my go-to games for a 15 minute blast though.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I'm a big fan of Walker, but you're absolutely right.  There's very little sense of progression, it needs more weapons and just more variety in general.  It'll always remain one of my go-to games for a 15 minute blast though.

The game play footage was a bit of a nightmare. Had to play it for ssooo long.

I loved Walker - those tiny sprites! that absurdly detailed carnage! - but it always annoyed me that it was unbelievably hard in normal mode, and that you could only play half the game in easy mode. Would have loved to have seen the horizontally-scrolling shooter levels and the platform game levels that they cut out.