Wiper

The Official Rllmuk Awards 2016 - The Results: Final Day - Game of the Year (Top 10)

Doom woz robbed.

Edit: it's not the story itself in Doom that is any good, which is fairly cliche taken at face value, but it's how the Doom marine reacts to everything going on by basically flicking the Vs and getting on with it. It's masterful show, not tell storytelling. And the codex you pick up telling the backstory are hilarious when you find that:

Spoiler

The demons call you Doomslayer and are basically shit scared of you.

• Upvote 3

Hurrah! I don't mind the lack of videos, but I am sorry I didn't do more to help out with getting gameplay footage - I had the editing gubbins but not the actual games, nor the time to cut together anything decent. Nevertheless thanks for doing this, as ever. :D 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Doom woz robbed.

Edit: it's not the story itself in Doom that is any good, which is fairly cliche taken at face value, but it's how the Doom marine reacts to everything going on by basically flicking the Vs and getting on with it. It's masterful show, not tell storytelling. And the codex you pick up telling the backstory are hilarious when you find that:

Reveal hidden contents

The demons call you Doomslayer and are basically shit scared of you.

Yeah, I did enjoy that Doomguy's responses summed up the game's attitude to story - that it shouldn't get in the way of the task at hand. But reading the codices was something I never got into (indeed, that's something I rarely do even for games whose stories/worlds I love), so I never got anything out of those bits of writing.

44 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Hurrah! I don't mind the lack of videos, but I am sorry I didn't do more to help out with getting gameplay footage - I had the editing gubbins but not the actual games, nor the time to cut together anything decent. Nevertheless thanks for doing this, as ever. :D 

You've nothing to apologise for, quite the opposite! I feel bad enough that you helped out by providing trailer footage that I then failed to use, I"m quite relieved that you didn't go out of your way to record gameplay footage!

• Upvote 1

Glad you're back, Wiper - thanks for doing this ^_^

Regarding Uncharted, I think that while the writing isn't exactly nuanced or deep, it does much to add to the impression that you're playing through an interactive blockbuster adventure movie. I seem to remember the voice acting being extremely slick as well.

• Upvote 2

Why would anyone neg the effort that's done into the first post? Sure, you may not agree with Wipers opinions, but the effort he (eventually) puts into these things means he deserves credit. 

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Why would anyone neg the effort that's done into the first post? Sure, you may not agree with Wipers opinions, but the effort he (eventually) puts into these things means he deserves credit. 

In fairness, given the time taken to get this out I think people have a justifiable reason to neg me!

Absolutely deserved for Doom. It actually doesn't have much guitar in it - it's mostly crunchy synths and extremely atmospheric moody sound design. Something I'd never noticed before is that when you fire the chaingun for example there is little guitar sounds that go with it. Mick Gordon seems pretty cool and I found the following video fascinating:

Spoiler

And he hid 666 in the sound waves :lol:

• Upvote 3

I'm really surprised Overwatch didn't get into the top 10 there. In terms of even just iconography in HUD design and little character animation touches it's leagues ahead of other games.

• Upvote 1

I'm playing Horizon at the moment, but Uncharted 4 is still the best looking game on the console for my money. I'm not normally one to put that much stock in graphics, but the visual tour de force on show here actually manages to eclipse the gameplay.

2 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I love the world Arkane Studios have created for Dishonored 1 & 2 (plus the DLC), for my money the art direction is the best there is. :wub:

Prey has cool art direction as well. It's also one of the best games of a rather stellar year, but unfirtunately not nearly enough people played it.

Probably my GotY if it wasn't for Mario.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Prey has cool art direction as well. It's also one of the best games of a rather stellar year, but unfirtunately not nearly enough people played it.

Still on my to-play list Vems! As a fan of System Shock 2 and the like, it sounds right up my alley. But there's just too many good games, man. I'm hoping to get around to both Dishonored 2 and Prey after rinsing Mario and Elex, before the end of the year :)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

I'm the same, minus the Mario bit. Prey is a beautiful, brilliant game, and my current GOTY.

DOOM was robbed, how the fuck did anyone vote for The Last Guardian? Was everyone watching a Let's Play rather than having to play the PS3 era controlling game? It was fine but god damn was it bogged down in the past.

But then I guess if No Man's Sky can get into the top 20 and Batman VR makes it ahead of VR's saviour, Superhot VR then we can see that the PS4 being a juggernaut this generation makes a big difference in what people are playing.

• Upvote 1

Deserved winner. TLG is a wonderful game and I don't think its technical issues detract too much from it, though I played it on a Pro. After Edge and Easy Allies another big trophy for Ueda. Who doesn't want to win RLLMUK GotY?

• Upvote 2

Interestingly, the top 3 positions are actually inverse in order to the number of people who voted for them: Uncharted 4 got 38 votes, DOOM 36 and The Last Guardian 32; it's just that those who voted for DOOM rated it notably higher than those who voted for U4, generally, and those who voted for TLG rated that yet higher. In fact, the only game with a higher average rating that TLG was Stephen's Sausage Roll, and that had but a single (1st place) vote.

In fact, if you want to see the top 20 by average vote rather than cumulative, you get a pretty different list...

Including games with only 1 vote:

1. Stephen's Sausage Roll

2. The Last Guardian

3. Blue Revolver

4. Factorio

5. F1 2016

6. Rocket League

7. Superhot VR

8. Batman Arkham VR

9. Dishonored 2

10. Amplitude

11. DOOM

12. The Witcher 3 Blood & Wine

13. Leap of Fate

14. Hitman

15. Stardew Valley

16. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

17. Eleven Table Tennis VR

18. Overwatch

19. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

20. Final Fantasy X/X2 HD Remaster 

Only games with 2+ votes:

1. The Last Guardian

2. Blue Revolver

3. Rocket League

4. Superhot VR

5. Batman Arkham VR

6. Dishonored 2

7. Amplitude

8. DOOM

9. The Witcher 3 Blood & Wine

10. Leap of Fate

11. Hitman

12. Stardew Valley

13. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

14. Overwatch

15. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE

16. The Witness

17. Pony Island

18. Final Fantasy XV

19. Rez Infinite

20. Uncharted 4 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Batman VR makes it ahead of VR's saviour, Superhot VR then we can see that the PS4 being a juggernaut this generation makes a big difference in what people are playing.

The idea of Batman VR (or even Rez, sorry) being better that Superhot VR is just ridiculous, but being fair hardly anyone will have played it by the time the voting happened. Of course if anyone has truly now played both and still thinks that Batman was really worth their vote, they’re clearly insane.

• Upvote 1

I can't compare it to Batman, but I got Superhot VR once it came out on PSVR, and... I still prefer Rez Infinite. Superhot makes more use of VR (I mean, obviously), but I just prefer Rez as a game and overall experience. But then, I like Rez for its album-like quality; the ability to have a solid 40 minute end to end session with a feeling of closure (VR or no), which is a very different structure to Superhot's.

1 hour ago, clippa said:

Wiper, you're not going to wander off into the wilderness for a whole year again are you?

I imagine that at the very least I'll be on here a lot less than in previous years. It feels weird after literally half of my life to finally reduce my time with the forum, but I can't see myself immersing myself as I used to.

• Upvote 1

Batman VR is still an incredible experience. There's not really much "game" but it's still incredible.

I was almost expecting Doom to be the winner as I was scrolling down but can't argue with the final top 3.

Spoiler

Yes I can, Doom was robbed and is the game of the year.

• Upvote 1