Sign in to follow this  
SweatyTravolta

The Mummy Demastered - WayForward's Excellent Mummyvania

Saw a few people mention this in the Switch thread but felt it deserved just a little more love and an attempt to bring it to the attention of more people. Being released in one of the craziest weeks of the craziest year pretty much guaranteed it'd fly under almost everyone's radar.

I've played a couple of hours now and am really enjoying it. I'd been on a Metroidvania tear this year, playing through the best examples released and while this doesn't reach those highs of Symphony of the Night or Super Metroid it's at least as fun to play as the good Castlevania games. It's certainly a nice thing to have for those who felt disappointed by Samus Returns.

The only thing that bugs me so far is how it draws the map. Solid lines rather than a gap or different colour to indicate a door. It makes it really hard to remember which areas who haven't properly explored when looking at the map.

I forgot all about this. Saw the title, thought meh. Saw the developer, bought it. WayForward knows how to draw and animate sprites and create solid games.

• Upvote 2

I’ve bought this and it’s fantastic.

Much better than the recent Metroid, which I’ve abandoned.

My only caveat is that I’m on the second boss, and I’ve still no way to fully heal without grinding day monsters, which is great when exploring as it adds tension, but it’s just busy work when you are throwing yourself against a boss.

Hoping an upgrade or unlock down the line simplifys things...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I’ve bought this and it’s fantastic.

Much better than the recent Metroid, which I’ve abandoned.

My only caveat is that I’m on the second boss, and I’ve still no way to fully heal without grinding day monsters, which is great when exploring as it adds tension, but it’s just busy work when you are throwing yourself against a boss.

Hoping an upgrade or unlock down the line simplifys things...

Ah yes, that's the other thing that really frustrated me. Such an odd decision to not fully restock you after you've "reclaimed" your gear. It's completely unnecessary because it's not exactly hard, just time consuming and frustrating when you just want to crack on with the boss. I haven't noticed it getting any better, aside from picking up more health tanks. I wonder if they felt the need to do this to pad the game out?

1 minute ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Ah yes, that's the other thing that really frustrated me. Such an odd decision to not fully restock you after you've "reclaimed" your gear. It's completely unnecessary because it's not exactly hard, just time consuming and frustrating when you just want to crack on with the boss. I haven't noticed it getting any better, aside from picking up more health tanks. I wonder if they felt the need to do this to pad the game out?

See I would really love this to be a tight 6hr adventure. No need for grind.

Maybe they’ll change it in a update?

Also, it has no way to turn the vibrate off, which is frustrating, when you are sneakily playing it in bed and don’t want to wake your SO.

4 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

See I would really love this to be a tight 6hr adventure. No need for grind.

I had finished the game in 5 hours and 25 mins with 97% map completion and 5 deaths so it's not long at all. I still very much enjoyed the game but it being quite short makes me pretty sure that's why you don't get full health back on retrieving gear or saving. Well that and the whole new soldier concept they tried to push.

I think the pacing might be a bit off because I went from having two weapons for the first three hours and then picked up the last four in the closing stages, not really using them at all.

A seven or eight out of ten seems fair for this.

I like this a lot, but I've just hit a point at which the Dark Souls corpse-run mechanic that I've been enjoying gets potentially really bad. I died in an area far away from where I last saved, and lost a dash power-up that made getting there much easier. I also died on the way back to the tooled-up undead agent, which produced a second undead agent who didn't have the dash move on him (or anything else I acquired during the run).

I'm currently in a hilariously unfortunate situation in which there are two of my corpses patrolling the same space, while sarcophagi - hands down the worst enemies in the game - pop out of the sand to shoot ghosts at me. Getting back to and killing the original zombie who has my stuff will now be a colossal challenge. It's a point at which I think a lot of people would give up, so I hope it doesn't happen to many others...

Also, bosses outlast your ammo by several minutes, which will put off anyone who isn't here for Shattered Soldier-style boss-mastery.

• Empathy 2

This seems to play smoother in handheld mode for me.

Does anyone have any tips to killing that dinosaur boss. I cannot seem to get past it, keep dying after around the 3rd time he smashes through the wall. I have the uprated machine gun and the shot gun so far.

This is a great game wounded by the respawn/healing system. It needs to give you all your health back when you kill your old self or something, because grinding to heal is the worst idea ever. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

This is a great game wounded by the respawn/healing system. It needs to give you all your health back when you kill your old self or something, because grinding to heal is the worst idea ever. 

Maybe they really liked the first Metroid.

Oh dear... I've just come across the first boss, some fire breathing dragon thing, and the death mechanic boggles my mind. You lose all upgrades and weapons upon death and have to kill your previous character to get these back?! :lol:

I can already see myself not finishing this game lol. 

• Upvote 1

That boss isn't too bad. Learn the attack patterns and save all your strong weapons for the final form when it is harder to dodge. And check the environment for extra health packs and ammo upgrades.

I'm on the last boss. A bit of a fucker, especially having to farm health every time you die. A pretty crappy bit of design which sours an otherwise fine game.

I finished this recently.

Didn’t really like it at all TBH because of a number of stupid design decisions.

As for dying to a boss, as soon as you’re down to you final 50 health just, pause, quit and load your old save. Much faster than the nonsense that is the games death mechanic.

Didn't find the bosses that hard, they’re just a couple of patterns that you have to learn. They’re more laborious IMO, they take AGES to die.

The dragon for example has 3 locations he shoots his fireball, once you learn to minipulate this it’s straight forward.

Also, the dragon ISN’T the first boss, he’s the second. Have you missed a chunk of the game @VN1X?

Spider is the first boss

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I finished this recently.

Didn’t really like it at all TBH because of a number of stupid design decisions.

As for dying to a boss, as soon as you’re down to you final 50 health just, pause, quit and load your old save. Much faster than the nonsense that is the games death mechanic.

Didn't find the bosses that hard, they’re just a couple of patterns that you have to learn. They’re more laborious IMO, they take AGES to die.

The dragon for example has 3 locations he shoots his fireball, once you learn to minipulate this it’s straight forward.

Also, the dragon ISN’T the first boss, he’s the second. Have you missed a chunk of the game @VN1X?

Spider is the first boss

Nah did that but felt more like a mini-boss or introductory bit. I'll try the Dragon duder again later but fuck me it's frustrating. 

I decided to start this again last week, as I was itching for something 2D and couldn't decide what new game to buy.

It's a really solid game; though it has got a few issues (post-death grinding, framerate issues on the Switch) they absolutely hit the nail on the head with the gorgeous pixel-art and outstanding OST:

Anyone know if there's any reward for collecting all 50 artefacts?

This is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. I'm up the the Scarab boss now (second to last one) and in general it's just such a ballache to play. I can only stomach about 30 to 45 mins before having to turn it off. The controls feel very unresponsive and none of the enemies are fun to fight. The platforming is some of the worst imaginable with the foreground and background seemingly blending into one another making it an exercise in pure frustration. Often times the game requires to you platform while dealing with enemies which is an absolute nightmare, especially when you're traversing a tall room. You'll find yourself having to make a incredibly tricky jumps only for you to get knocked off by some flying bullshit and having to do it all over again... with less health, and a chance that when you die there's the added threat of your previous character trying to kill you. FUN! 

Then there's the bosses which will do everything in their power to outstay their welcome. It doesn't matter what weapons you use as they seem to be on a predetermined timer regardless. So you'll need to keep your finger on the trigger for about 8 minutes while dodging projectiles AND, in the Scarab's case, jump from platform to platform trying to avoid the spikes below. What's more is that the amount of farming required to get your health and ammo back up after dying is such a tedious fucking affair that I'd rather just throw my Switch out the window. Seriously, I have no idea how that 'mechanic' ever made it passed QA.

It's not difficult because it provides a hard (but fair) challenge, no, it's simply due to its poor design. Fuck this game. 

• Upvote 2

You have to be doing it wrong because I suck at games and I died five times before completing it. I agree that the death mechanic is badly implemented. As soon as you kill your former agent it should put you straight back to full health and ammo.

Big patch to help eliminate post-death grind:

• Initial load time has been drastically reduced.

• HD Rumble added to Nintendo Switch version

•  Revamped the death mechanic:

Health Packs regained from Undead Agents default to full

Weapons Regained from Undead Agents have more ammo

Undead Agents health more fairly balanced, based on number of Health Packs they are holding

• Health drops are more fairly balanced

• Spawn Frequency of Bats, Ravens, and Spiders re-balanced

• HP of all bosses has been re-balanced

• Game performance greatly increased

Will definitely pick this up now next time its on sale.

@VN1X – If you can stomach going back, let me know if it fixes your issues with the game as they do sound like really dumb design decisions.

• Upvote 3

I'll have to revisit this too, the grinding back up to full health ruined any kind of fun I was having at points.

I was on my way to the second last boss before I dropped it.

16 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Big patch to help eliminate post-death grind:

Will definitely pick this up now next time its on sale.

@VN1X – If you can stomach going back, let me know if it fixes your issues with the game as they do sound like really dumb design decisions.

Thank fuck. Those all sound like much needed improvements. I might actually be able to finish it now!