rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Droo

Gamecube RGB / Component

Good morning everyone, so, over the weekend I hoked out the old gamecube to play some games with @kris_doe.  Was plenty of fun.  However, the picture on my new TV is pretty shit for most of the time.  I do have a Framemeister, but the GC is only outputting composite.  

I see the official RGB cables are ludicrously expensive, so I'm wondering how much cop these £5-£10 ones are?

Anyone got any experience?

I watched a video last week on a new hdmi adapter for the gamecube. It was from metal jesus and he had killled his gamecube with it (by dropping it off a tv stand causing it to short).

It actually looked nice however and the creator has already made a design change to make it more robust. It's still expensive enough (roughly 100 dollars) but may be an option in some cases.

$100 for a tiny plastic adapter that is supposed to negate the whole issue with the component being ridiculously overpriced. Yeah that makes total sense to sell it at that price. 

• Upvote 1

I agree it's expensive but I thought the component cables went for over $200 dollars due to how rare they were.  A quick search on ebay shows them typically going for between $200 and $400 with one person looking for  $699 for sealed original cables. At that price you could buy a wii u and play the games on that with a bit of work.

I'd hope this adapter comes down in price as I doubt it costs anywhere near that to make it but it's already half the price of a hdmi mod was last year so it's a step in the right direction.

Now, I might be a complete idiot for even asking the question, but since you can buy a Wii for a tenner in Cash Convertors, and the Wii takes gamecube disks, gamecube controllers and gamecube memory cards, outputs 480p and takes a component cable that costs a fiver, and has very cheap HDMI adaptors, why would anyone want to buy a Gamecube and any sort of overpriced cable?

• Upvote 1

I was wondering the same.

I love the game cube. I own maybe 5 or 6 of them in different colour schemes.  I couldn't tell you the last time one was plugged in, component output from the Wii is ideal.

That said, I use a WiiU for Wii games for HDMI.. What are these cheap Wii HDMI converters and are they good?

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

Now, I might be a complete idiot for even asking the question, but since you can buy a Wii for a tenner in Cash Convertors, and the Wii takes gamecube disks, gamecube controllers and gamecube memory cards, outputs 480p and takes a component cable that costs a fiver, and has very cheap HDMI adaptors, why would anyone want to buy a Gamecube and any sort of overpriced cable?

Why do people buy anything, though.  Arguably Neo Geo Collection on the Wii is better than the original games on original hardware, etc.

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

Original hardware!

I've backed up my Gamecube games and have run them through the Wii U now and I'm really impressed, I also have the GC adapter for it and it's perfect.  I was playing 1080 Avalanche with the widescreen hack enabled and it looks excellent!

2 hours ago, paddy gamer said:

I've backed up my Gamecube games and have run them through the Wii U now and I'm really impressed, I also have the GC adapter for it and it's perfect.  I was playing 1080 Avalanche with the widescreen hack enabled and it looks excellent!

How is this witchcraft achieved?