IGNORED

Shin Megami Tensei V announced - Switch Exclusive

HarMGM

On 06/11/2021 at 19:57, Stanley said:

Do you think I should get this game? 

On the assumption that this is indeed A Good And Representative SMT game, then really you have to ask yourself if any of the following sound appealing to you

• Pokémon, but with a bit of challenge beyond levelling your monsters for the sake of it/catching 'em all for the sake of catching 'em all*
  • Pokémon, but with a branching plot that's got a bit of bite to it (though, ironically, is somewhat less ethically dubious than fantastical creature pit fighting)**
  • Pokémon, but one of the creatures you can have in your party is a penis demon***
  • Persona, but without any life simulation aspects; far, far less narrative content; harder battles and considerably more focus on tactics, monster fusions and getting lost in dungeons****

If yes, then it's probably for you. If not, well, that's harder to say when the game's not quite out — I don't know where it's going to fall on the spectrum given the differences between SMT IV and SMT III (where I confusingly consider IV to be simultaneously more niche and easier to recommend than III).

* of course, it's really the other way around, what with SMT predating Pokémon.

** see above.

*** see above. This omission is assuredly Pokémon's greatest design flaw.

**** see above, but for Persona.

My physical copy's shipped from TheGameCollection. Happy days.

Spoiler

The solid 60fps and crispy internal resolution scale on Yuzu is fantastic, some textures do fuck up however. Yeah, I know, couldn't help myself getting a couple of hours in before annual leave.

As for the game itself, my thoughts as someone who's only sat through a couple hours of SMTIII and one good playthrough of SMTIV - 

- Very open world, do whatever the fuck you want. You can even run and easily evade every fight just so you can scope out the big boss and get clapped before you figure out an actual plan of action. Not sure if I like it compared to how much more intricate SMTIV was when you hit Tokyo, but I'm open to it.

- Pretty much everything is driven by the Save Points - World of Shadows, the Item Shop, Recovery and Fast Travel are also exclusively accessed via these points. Kind of sad compared to the richness of IV's hub environments, but it's also a much larger world so I guess I get it.

- Despite the open world, it's a lot more handholding involved - The game goes through all the mechanics of the game, and explicitly tells you that it'll warn you and provide a save point before you end up fighting a boss. Which is good, because there's no safety nets like there was in IV - If you die, smash cut to the title screen, that's it.

- It leans more on SMTIII's submechanics - No gear/equipment, no physical damage nuances (like Gun damage, or spending HP - Phys is now MP as well), and Nahobino's affinities is controllable by using a resource. Moon cycles are also back, which seemingly impacts Demon fusion and talking.

- Demon talk seems to be less RNG - Unlike IV, you can't get away with refusing every request a demon makes and still recruit it, it'll usually fuck off.

- I'm pretty sure they talked about this in the Treehouse show and tell, but you get a Magatsuhi meter that, when maxed, allows you to tap into special skills, your default one being something that lets you always crit. What I don't remember them telling you is that your enemies also can trigger their own Magatsuhi skills. So, uh, you better be aiming for the jugular before they can start critting, or be able to nullify one of their attacks to bring the round back to you.

- The battle music fucking slaps, because of course it does

Ooh, exciting! My copy (belated birthday present) is on its way, looking forward to it arriving. Of all the things you've listed, this sounds the most intriguing to me in terms of deviating from the norm:

Phys is now MP as well

Given how much previous games were balanced around physical attacks draining (easily restored) health, vs magic being powerful but expensive to regenerate, that changes the way parties and character builds will work quite dramatically. It also presumably means that low-magic builds are no longer able to focus on strength and health to the complete exception of magic, as they'll need MP to fuel their attacks with either way.

I'm curious to see how that affects character builds and demon viability, and how often the player needs to return to save points - unless MP regen is a lot easier to come by in this game?

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I'm curious to see how that affects character builds and demon viability, and how often the player needs to return to save points - unless MP regen is a lot easier to come by in this game?

It is - well, sort of. There's orbs in the actual environment that is usually in the form of pathways that restore HP/MP/Magatsuhi Gauge - I don't know if they're always there, but they're always welcome.

I should mention there's also a later thing in-game where you get points of interest noted, and it's up to you to access them - You could get an item, you could get jumped and get fucking ruined in a single turn. Not helpful if you're just trying to get to the next checkpoint, but it's a nice break from the static encounters.

Also, treasure seems to regenerate to some degree, I'm pretty sure I picked everything up but when I returned to an earlier location the HUD elements were lit up again - I thought I was getting brass a few hours in, only to realise the vending machines solely give out items you junk for money instead of being consumable items, because I was too used to Persona 4's 'Vending Machines = SP restore items' schtick :lol:

43 minutes ago, Sane said:

Have you done any fusing yet? I'm hoping for some changes there because VI's system lead to constant fusing and not really getting to spend proper time with any demon. 

Sane here posting from 2030 ;)

15 hours ago, Sane said:

Have you done any fusing yet? I'm hoping for some changes there because VI's system lead to constant fusing and not really getting to spend proper time with any demon. 

Yeah, I've done some. There's a couple changes which can be positives for you although it's mostly unchanged:

- Some demons have unique skills that cannot be passed on (I'm sure there's an ability that breaks it, mind). Some of them are Magatsuhi skills - for example, Neko Shogun gets one that does Severe Almighty damage, and the little bugger is only level 5 by default. Slime has one as well. I think you get them from charms that you acquire as quest rewards.

- Demons (and Nahobino) now have affinities to abilities which tie mostly into elemental damage - the above mentioned Neko Shogun also has Dia +3 because he has affinity to healing spells, so his Dia is pretty much a full heal at the stage you get him. (addendum - Affinities are split between cardinal elements including physical, then Healing, Ailment and Support skills are counted as separate skills)

- you get items that can bulk Demon stats (and I believe affinities) up. Grimoires are especially handy - it's basically a legally distinct rare candy, and you can use them up until Nahobino's current level. Thanks to that restriction, they're a lot more available than Pokémon's version.

This is all in addition to how Nahobino interacts with essences - you'll also find that you'll be given Demon essences of Demons you've fought, but cannot actually fuse yet, so Nahobino basically has his own stash of stat/skill changes that isn't really affected by guys party, if that makes sense (I remember IV involved having to raise demons so they confer skills, which I believe is no longer the case).

EDIT: Turns out I'm wrong about essences - You *can* use them on other Demons, but for skills alone. Nahobino can use them for Skills and Elemental Resistance changes.

One thing I think I forgot - essences are consumable, but not strictly unobtainable after the fact - the item shop stocks certain Demon essences so you can re-buy them (they are fairly expensive), and can be rare drops IIRC. There's definitely going to be some 'unique' essences that confer skills to Nahobino, mind.

Profound disappointment. Had this all downloaded ready to go, for a quick 30 minute first impression before bed. Busy dad means not a lot of game time. I excitedly fire it up and.... The Japanese audio track is a separate download :facepalm: Why :(

set it to download, hopefully tomorrow evening then

Sorry to hear that Mr. Gerbik. But know that your suffering at least has spared the rest of us a similar fate :hat:.

The list of paid DLC makes me sad btw: next to the usual game balance destroying stuff like more exp there's unique sidequests to get specific demons. Even some old favourites from SMT III. I really dislike this kind of thing. I'm not going to buy it out of principle but knowing I will miss out on them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

1 hour ago, Sane said:

Sorry to hear that Mr. Gerbik. But know that your suffering at least has spared the rest of us a similar fate :hat:.

The list of paid DLC makes me sad btw: next to the usual game balance destroying stuff like more exp there's unique sidequests to get specific demons. Even some old favourites from SMT III. I really dislike this kind of thing. I'm not going to buy it out of principle but knowing I will miss out on them leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

This seems to be more and more of a thing with niche Japanese games like this, annoyingly. Publishers know that only the most hardcore of hardcore are going to pick the game up in the first place, and then it's this same group who can most likely be roped into buying pricey, exclusive, and largely cosmetic, dlc.

Samurai Warriors 5, Monster Hunter Stories and R-Type Final 2 have all had similar dlc options recently.

2 hours ago, Sane said:

I think P5R has challenge battles and late-game P3/4 demons as DLC. I’m not that bothered because I enjoy the stuff that’s already in the game, but it seems to be a thing Atlus is playing with…

I'm pretty sure SMT IV did it as well - unique preorder bonus armour, one free challenge mission pack and nine additional mission packs which are between 1-3 bucks each, $18 in total.

None of it necessary, with the sheer amount of content the game threw at you anyway, but it's still gross.

You can’t really sell ‘skimpy outfits’ dlc for a SMT game like you can with Persona so they’ve had to make it more worthwhile so people will actually buy it. I only got the free dlc for the IV games on 3DS and didn’t bother with the paid stuff.

My CE has arrived from the Nintendo store.

Kind of weird how they did the Steelbook for this - I would have thought it would house the original case or the game would be packed in the steelbook. If you're a collector, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by unsealing two things. Eh, I guess they come from two separate sources, so whatever. Also off-topic, switch game boxes are tiny. they remind me of PSP or Gamecube game cases.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating around where you fight the second 'serious' boss (spoilers in terms of actual strats):

Spoiler

Aka. the snake lady in the Diet Building. I think I've got enough data from the party wipe (level 22, weak to fire, casts Zan +8 or something ridiculous).

I think the plan is to use the Jack-O-Lantern Essence to learn Agilao, and use the essence of those blue floaty things to fully block Wind. It seems like a waste just to learn Agilao when I can use Maragi as well, so I need to go earn some glory to increase Nahobino's skill slots again.

The blue floaty thing might be tricky - I had one essence, but not any more. I might have to recruit one and pump it with Grimoires so he'll spit out a dupe. I don't think using a resist is going to cut it against snake lady, you either need to outright block it or her affinity will just tear through what meagre health you have.

I still need to recruit the new mobs around me (Ippon-Datara, Bicorn and probably some other shit I can't remember), so maybe they'll help with keeping my whole team tankier. I kind of want to keep Angel around for Recarm and his special party heal, same as Mermaid and Stormcaller Song.

Again, I am grateful that mobs are static - being able to fully scope an area before a boss, throwing yourself face-first at it and then coming up with a plan is a decent alternative to SMTIV's dungeon crawling that came with fallbacks if you got a bad beat randomly. I think I need to explore more, however, as throwing yourself at grinding can be a bit dull and hopefully one of the miracles left in the area will unlock the 'fuse whatever the fuck you want regardless of level cap' option. Although I do suspect that's a fair distance into the game instead!

Taking a break after dragging the lifeless corpses of half of my team over the finish line of that second boss:

Spoiler

Annoyingly, you don't actually kill her - the fight stops at around 40% health, so don't be disheartened when you see her life bar only reduced by a slither (arf) when spamming Agilao at her.

Also, I was fully prepared for Garu attacks - I was not prepared for Mazio :facepalm:

Top tip: In a fight, not only can you check the status of your own party, but you can also check the status of the boss - the resistances you'll already know, but what you might not know is how many attacks you have and have not seen - which the status dialogue actually shows. Handy to see if you're going to get utterly shat on by a super move a boss has hidden away.

Also a good-to-know - there's separate boosters for Demons and Nahobino - including the Grimoire item that levels up Demons, known as a Gospel for Nahobino. It instantly gives you enough EXP to level up Nahobino, and drops from one of the rare enemies. Obv, you'll want to use it just after levelling up for max benefit.

Very likely, unless you count the SMTIII remaster. there was probably some ports of SMT I & II as well, I swear there was a GBA or mobile game port at some point.

I'd imagine Atlus' shift away from proprietary engines (or at least towards engines where ports are a click of a button) at the behest of Sega is going to make this happen more often, given the increased success of Yakuza. I'd give the exclusivity period about six months, or at the very least an announcement will happen as soon as the next financial year starts. EZ money.

And good thing too, it's maddening that fantastic games like P4G and SMTIV were left on dead formats - heck, SMT IV still is.

I'd probably double dip on SMT V on PC as and when it's available for a reasonable sum - hopefully some clever bod would figure out by then how to convert Switch/Yuzu saves to the PC version, so I could carry on with a New Game Plus if it has a lot of defined ending routes like SMT IV.

Managed to play for about 4 hours this weekend. It's pretty good. I'm not blown away yet but these games are usually slow burners. My main criticism at this point would be that it doesn't stray from the formula at all. I was hoping for a bigger step forward but most changes are more gradual improvements.

One other thing is performance. I think they went a bit overboard with all the graphical effects in the world and the Switch can't quite keep up. I hope they will be able to improve this a bit.

Really loving this. It takes a while to get going but in exactly the opposite way to Persona. Where Persona holds your hand for hours, focusing on the story setup and slowly introducing all the gameplay elements SMT V shows you a short bit of story and then lets you go off and do your thing. Then 7 hours later (for me anyway, I'm a pretty slow player) it picks up the story again. Now things are developing and it's getting interesting.

The world itself is also very well made, much much more intricate than SMT VI's which was understandably limited by the hardware. There's lots of structures and buildings to explore in and around, a lot of verticality. And the 3D demon designs are all pretty fantastic, adding a lot of life to them compared to the 2D versions of IV. 

Gameplay wise I like all the changes they made, even though it's all pretty safe. It's not too difficult so far, although I'm pretty used to how it all works so I think for a new player it'd be pretty tough. Still, I died quite a lot (this is how it should be).

The first patch was just announced. Some minor tweaks.