IGNORED

Shin Megami Tensei V announced - Switch Exclusive

HarMGM

45 quid for a game that I can still slap my PS2 copy in and have a good time with is a big ask, especially as Dante is a paid DLC - although being able to directly control Demon Fusion skill transfers takes out a LOT of the tedium of most of the PS2 SMT-based games (Including Persona 4 pre-golden). I'll wait to see if any resellers are willing to knock another few quid off like they were with P5 Strikers vs. the official Steam price.

Denuvo wasn't really that big of a deal for P4G on PC, as it still allowed for mods as long as the file structure was intact (not the files themselves). I think any mods will revolve around replacing the compressed in-game music with the OST music, anyway. It's probably the most glaring issue with the HD remaster as-is.

They definitely need to work on their crashing issues on PC for this one. Strikers is at least very generous with its save system, but I really don't fancy losing an hour of skin-of-the-teeth battle grinding if this goes kaput.

I'm a few dozen hours into a playthrough on PS2 emulation, so this res-up is basically the same thing and yet... there it is, in my Steam wishlist.

Yeah, I got massively into all of the mainline SMT games a couple of years ago but I might actually pass on this, or at least wait for a 'deep sale'. I have US and PAL PS2 copies, and as Sabreman says, emulation already uprezzes it to an incredibly impressive degree. The digital deluxe version that adds Dante/Raidou and the harder mode adds another fair whack to the cost, too...

• 2 months later...

Looks like the release date for this was put up by accident on the Japanese website briefly before getting pulled: November 11th. It was confirmed a while ago to be getting a worldwide release. :omg:

E3AqReXUYAI0Kho.png

E3AqV6OVgAMh_Pn.png

I love SMT but I hope they shake things up a bit for V. 

I'm currently halfway through SMT Apocalypse and it's starting to feel a bit too much like work. It's a good game and it's streamlined a lot of the systems but it's essentially the same game I played before. It doesn't really hold any surprises: you follow the story, travelling through all the areas, picking up demons, fusing them into new demons, levelling up your main character, buying some gear, picking up demons, fusing them etc. 

I realize this is the nature of the genre but I would like to have some variety and surprises. 

Also, I think the demons themselves could be more meaningful. The designs are great and they all have interesting back stories (if you care to search the wiki's) but in the game every demon is just fusion fodder. They all have skills and spells from the same pool and the cycle of fusing is so fast that new demons are usually gone in an hour or so, replaced by higher level ones.

The result is that you can't really form a proper team with a balanced skill set because your team is constantly changing, swapping in new demons to level them up to learn their skills and spells so you can fuse them into new demons that you then level up etc. 

I'd love to be able to go through the game using my favourite demons, but I guess that's not the nature of SMT of course. 

It was IV's approach to demon skill inheritance (i.e. giving you full freedom to determine what they get) that killed any personality the demons had as expressed through the mechanics, for me. They became mere character portraits for you to attach whatever you like to. I understand Apocalypse addresses this somewhat by adding type affinities (e.g. if you give Jack Frost the Agi spell it just won't be very good), but previously the skills and affinities were about all the "fleshing out" the demons received as characters, so I really hope V goes back to defining them more rigidly...

The weird thing about fused demons in most games is that they don't talk as if you've suddenly transformed them, but as if you've summoned an existing thing or idea. So they don't say "oh my god, what have you done to me?" or even "cool, new powers!" but just "ah, you're my master now? That's fine." It's almost as if you're interacting with representations drawn from collective memory as opposed to individuals. It'd definitely be interesting to see an SMT that treated them as something less fleeting and with more agency, etc...

5 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

The weird thing about fused demons in most games is that they don't talk as if you've suddenly transformed them, but as if you've summoned an existing thing or idea. So they don't say "oh my god, what have you done to me?" or even "cool, new powers!" but just "ah, you're my master now? That's fine." It's almost as if you're interacting with representations drawn from collective memory as opposed to individuals. It'd definitely be interesting to see an SMT that treated them as something less fleeting and with more agency, etc...

Yeah that's true, it's more like sacrificing two demons to summon another. 

Another thing I hope they will change is the atmosphere. I love the older games foreboding, strange atmosphere, which I feel is missing from Apocalypse. 

Yeah definitely. I think SMT1 does a really good job of conveying the sense that you're a daft teenager getting embroiled way over your head in issues you can barely fathom. It's tense and paranoid and grim - more of that, please!

• 2 weeks later...

Date confirmed on Nintendo Direct about half an hour ago. There was an English trailer, but here's the JPN one that shows more area and plot flavour instead of explaining demon fusion for the umpteenth time:

Can't wait, it looks fantastic.

Now being played on Treehouse (about 6 and a half hours in, for anyone watching later):

Edit: bad news, the commentary is very annoying, as might have been expected.

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Edit: bad news, the commentary is very annoying, as might have been expected.

U H M

At least they're fighting a massive boss, so we'll see the cardinal rule of SMT:

You fuck around, you're gonna find out

Looks extremely promising! My overwhelming feeling is of relief - it's just very heartening to see the work is receiving the treatment it deserves. The demon designs look stronger than they ever have since Kaneko left (and one of the new ones is Finn McCool!), as does the protagonist's design, and it's a treat to see the demons running around the world outside of battles, just being themselves - I'd been hoping for more attention to be paid to their expressiveness.

Based on past, repeated experience, the bag will be utterly awful, so I wouldn't be too distressed if it's Canada-only. Particularly as it's £90+ at base cost! Interesting to note that Japan's LE is subtly different; same book, steelbook and (presumably) soundtrack, but swaps the bag for a t-shirt (scroll down a bit on https://megaten5.jp/ to see it).

I'd happily get a special edition minus bag and t-shirt for like, £60, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much at this price!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just pre-ordered this from ShopTo on eBay for about £38, there's an offer for 15% off right now.

The collector's edition with the bag is still available on GAME and Nintendo online store, and Nintendo online store is offering a steelbook for the standard version too.

Though the ShopTo/eBay price was too good to say no to.

Looking forward to this!

I went through TGC, mainly because everywhere else at the time was showing Out of Stock, so I was a bit concerned I was late pulling the trigger after waiting for it to show up in the Nintendo Online voucher shop and then realising that it's not great value with the new sub tier.

My first and probably last physical switch game! It can just happily sit in the handheld forever, just like Persona 4 Golden in the Vita.

Can't believe I've been waiting 2 console generations for this game and it's now almost here! I didn't have a 3DS and therefore never played IV more than a little bit so SMT III Nocturne on PS2 was the last mainline game I played. To say I'm looking forward to this is an understatement!