rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Yoshimax

GAF Meltdown - owner accused

If this had happened without Harvey Weinstein being exposed I'm sure this would have all been brushed under the carpet just like his comments from 2012 which didn't cause the forum to go dark.

https://www.destructoid.com/neogaf-goes-down-due-to-staff-walk-out-sexual-harassment-allegations-468425.phtml

These allegations come after a 2012 post where Evilore self reported that he grabbed the ass of a woman that he did not know, without consent, "to show her that [he] wasn't being taken advantage of".

I'm sure the NeoGaf community will be back in one form or another but with it being owned by one man he might keep the brand for himself and they'll have to setup somewhere new.

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I think the law determines that exposing yourself without consent counts as sexual harassment.

What's questionable here is 'Gaf's handling of the matter. Everything related to the account was instantly deleted, like their hive mind has got something to hide. Things might have played out a little better if the guy in question came straight out and said: "Yeah, you know what, after several drinks I made a spectacularly poor judgement that evening. My sincere apologies.". Instead it's just bans and deletions.

Has the bloke actually said anything since all this kicked off?

He's apparently preparing a statement but whenever the fuck that statement gets released is up to anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, Clyde said:

He's apparently preparing a statement but whenever the fuck that statement gets released is up to anyone's guess.

Clearly he will want to speak to his lawyers first, as Stanley says. It's a sticky situation and being sincere about it (as I would have been, offhandedly) could end him up in more shit.

Someone started a new forum called geonaf.com and if you thought neogaf was bad this would have caused you to rethink that.

Been taken down now of course.

Just now, Flub said:

Someone started a new forum called geonaf.com and if you thought neogaf was bad this would have caused you to rethink that.

Been taken down now of course.

Yeah, it was awful.

Registered and immediately thought the same

Just now, EvilBoris said:

Yeah, it was awful.

Registered and immediately thought the same

I had a look around and decided not to bother. Everything you hate about gamers, the alt right and gamergate? On full display.

22 minutes ago, Clyde said:

It will probably be an epic animated gif of Banderas and Kaz memes, he's working on it in Final Cut Pro now.

• Upvote 3

I only started looking at GAF regularly over the past few months while i was ill and with plenty of spare time. It was the first time i had ever browsed the off-topic area and being a massive American majority forum i expected a pretty divisive, heated political atmosphere leaning towards the right. Instead it was like wandering into some alternate reality USA where everyone is very liberal(but not in a libertarian sense as may be expected, more typical euro centre-left\centrist mindset) anti-gun, anti-police authoritarianism, non-racist, very pro LGBT, anti-gamergate etc. There was hardly a stereotypical 'Murican right-winger or alt-right type in the place, despite the huge amount of traffic.

It was a bizarre experience.

• Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, Khrushchev said:

I only started looking at GAF regularly over the past few months while i was ill and with plenty of spare time. It was the first time i had ever browsed the off-topic area and being a massive American majority forum i expected a pretty divisive, heated political atmosphere leaning towards the right. Instead it was like wandering into some alternate reality USA where everyone is very liberal(but not in a libertarian sense as may be expected, more typical euro centre-left\centrist mindset) anti-gun, anti-police authoritarianism, non-racist, very pro LGBT, anti-gamergate etc. There was hardly a stereotypical 'Murican right-winger or alt-right type in the place, despite the huge amount of traffic.

It was a bizarre experience.

Yeah, despite the fact that it was only that civilised because it was ruled with an iron fist, I think it's a real shame to lose it. 

Just now, GokouD said:

Yeah, despite the fact that it was only that civilised because it was ruled with an iron fist, I think it's a real shame to lose it. 

A forum that large with so many possible viewpoints probably needs the iron fist. Otherwise you get geonaf.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I had a look around and decided not to bother. Everything you hate about gamers, the alt right and gamergate? On full display.

Did you stumble across the picture of what I can only assume was a real photo of a completely mutilated burn victim with half their face missing and guts on show, still recognisable as a person. Just horrific.

But NeoGAF had megathreads about Switch icons, can you believe that?

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

But NeoGAF had megathreads about Switch icons, can you believe that?

The bastards! Also the Snake Pass icon was terrible.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fallows said:

I think the law determines that exposing yourself without consent counts as sexual harassment.

It's more than that though. He didn't just expose himself to her, she was exposed to him in a very confined space.

• Upvote 3

Just now, grindmouse said:

Allegedly. I don't doubt it's true given the mods reaction and his continued silence, but still.

I was saying that in relation to the discussion whether it would be sexual harassment in general, or sexual assault, if it happened. Which none of us really doubt.

In retrospect this all should have been obvious given his chosen name. Maybe if he'd gone all the way and called himself 'Rapeyman' or 'Ladygrope' the penny would have dropped sooner.

I'm not really going to shed a tear for an internet forum, but I am mildly peeved I destroyed its' Star Citizen safe space only for the whole forum to go. I put a lot of work in killing any positive conversation, turning the tone and the GAF consensus of every new SC thread against the project and caused a few refunds.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2

He misread the situation and walked into a shower naked, she rejected him and he didn't touch her but didn't talk to her again?

Reads like a typical Neogaf thread.

He should have played it cool and it would have blown over. All the bannings and now taking it down has made the situation worse. I was wondering why evilore was being mentioned in the milkshake duck thread!

It was pretty much the US sister forum to this place.

Same cunts and everything!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 20

6 minutes ago, Illyria said:

You don't fuckin enter a shower with a naked woman in it if there hasn't been any verbal consent given to do so. Or an inviting wave. Something. That woman threw up on herself and went into the shower to clean herself up. For fucks sake.

Agreed, but we're dealing with socially awkward gamer-geeks

• Downvote 14