GAF Meltdown - owner accused

Yoshimax

I imagine he's regretting not taking the $10 million IGN offered for the place this afternoon.

Only way I can see the site surviving is if some corporation decides to buy it for a song. That's a big if, it has a massive user base and was quite influential as far as forums go, but it'll be viewed as damaged good and they'll be weighing up the advantages of the purchase versus the bad press of headlines saying they've given a big cheque to a sex pest.

19 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I find it baffling that such a large forum comes tumbling down due to one person fucking up. They didn't have a committee or group of people running it? Seems a bit daft. 

It kinda reminds me of the disasterous potential that could be caused by the tantrums of Trump Vs Rocketman that the rest of the world clearly doesn't need.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So explain how his 'greed' as you called it lead to this situation, or rather, his "downfall" as you put it.

He actually said “his greed eventually backfired on him.”

I think you’re getting a bit hung up on it, I don’t think @Haribo meant that his greed led to the situation with the women, more that if he sold the site years ago, he wouldn’t be under the spotlight now as he wouldn’t have been the figurehead of the site or a ‘somebody’ in the (games) media.

Someone set up geonaf.com as an alternative site a few hours ago. Personally i don't think the forum will disappear, it's so much more than the owner so even if it doesn't change hands, things will quiet down and go back to normal. It'll take time but this isn't enough to sink it (based on all the other stuff thats happened online in the past, eg. Gawker, gamespot etc unless he just leaves it down for good.

22 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah greed in the context that he made money from the site through advertising and wouldn't relinquish control. But that's not what's brought the site down or his name spread across news sites today.

He didn’t say that though. We’ve both read it differently, clearly.

How I read the post was that if he sold the site 10 years ago or whatever and as a result had no online presence/persona now and the lady in question pressed charges against him as a regular member of the public now, would we be hearing about it? Unlikely I would have thought. As he remained in the position he had, whether through greed or making an income from it he put himself in a position where his actions could be and have been scrutinised.

Haribo didn’t say, as far as I can tell, that the guys greed led to the harassment/assault taking place. That’s how you read his post, I did not. And due to @Haribo‘s replies, I would assume he wasn’t making the link you made? You seem to be arguing something due to your interpretation of it.

5 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

He didn’t say that though. We’ve both read it differently, clearly.

How I read the post was that if he sold the site 10 years ago or whatever and as a result had no online presence/persona now and the lady in question pressed charges against him as a regular member of the public now, would we be hearing about it? Unlikely I would have thought. As he remained in the position he had, whether through greed or making an income from it he put himself in a position where his actions could be and have been scrutinised.

Haribo didn’t say, as far as I can tell, that the guys greed led to the harassment/assault taking place. That’s how you read his post, I did not. And due to @Haribo‘s replies, I would assume he wasn’t making the link you made?

Right, so it wasn't 'greed' by wanting to remain in control of his website or carry on making money. Not sure how that's classed as greed anyway. But, it was sexual harassment claims that brought about his 'downfall' as Haribo put it.

I mean is anyone in a position of wealth or power who acts that way classed as greedy?

Whatever. It's a pointless discussion when people can't concede they simply used the wrong word.

11 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I may be setting myself up for a total flaming, but.............everyone keeps saying he sexually assaulted this girl. Doesn't seem like an assault to me. SPECTACULARLY bad judgement and creepy behaviour, but I wouldn't say he assaulted her. 

Sexual harassment at the very least.

13 minutes ago, freezycold said:

I may be setting myself up for a total flaming, but.............everyone keeps saying he sexually assaulted this girl. Doesn't seem like an assault to me. SPECTACULARLY bad judgement and creepy behaviour, but I wouldn't say he assaulted her. 

I think the law determines that exposing yourself without consent counts as sexual harassment.

What's questionable here is 'Gaf's handling of the matter. Everything related to the account was instantly deleted, like their hive mind has got something to hide. Things might have played out a little better if the guy in question came straight out and said: "Yeah, you know what, after several drinks I made a spectacularly poor judgement that evening. My sincere apologies.". Instead it's just bans and deletions.

Has the bloke actually said anything since all this kicked off?

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

I can't help thinking he'd watched the shower scene in Skyfall and assumed that was a normal way to behave in real life.

I would not be surprised.

Also, they were both drinking? If he was stone cold sober and taking advantage of her state then ew, but if he was drunk too then maybe it influenced his veeeeeery bad decision.

If this had happened without Harvey Weinstein being exposed I'm sure this would have all been brushed under the carpet just like his comments from 2012 which didn't cause the forum to go dark.

https://www.destructoid.com/neogaf-goes-down-due-to-staff-walk-out-sexual-harassment-allegations-468425.phtml

These allegations come after a 2012 post where Evilore self reported that he grabbed the ass of a woman that he did not know, without consent, "to show her that [he] wasn't being taken advantage of".

I'm sure the NeoGaf community will be back in one form or another but with it being owned by one man he might keep the brand for himself and they'll have to setup somewhere new.

8 minutes ago, Fallows said:

I think the law determines that exposing yourself without consent counts as sexual harassment.

What's questionable here is 'Gaf's handling of the matter. Everything related to the account was instantly deleted, like their hive mind has got something to hide. Things might have played out a little better if the guy in question came straight out and said: "Yeah, you know what, after several drinks I made a spectacularly poor judgement that evening. My sincere apologies.". Instead it's just bans and deletions.

Has the bloke actually said anything since all this kicked off?

He's apparently preparing a statement but whenever the fuck that statement gets released is up to anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, Clyde said:

He's apparently preparing a statement but whenever the fuck that statement gets released is up to anyone's guess.

Clearly he will want to speak to his lawyers first, as Stanley says. It's a sticky situation and being sincere about it (as I would have been, offhandedly) could end him up in more shit.