GAF Meltdown - owner accused

Yoshimax

I liked the Neogaf Wrestling and Giantbomb threads, they were mostly upbeat and the Wrestling one was especially good at times. 

If I ever wanted mods for a game, Fallout for example, I’d just google ‘Neogaf Fallout mods’ and they always had good guides.

Other than maybe looking through the monthly pick up threads I didn’t look at it much.  So I guess I’ll miss it but not much.

I had no idea about what else went on there, it doesn’t sound that good though.

34 minutes ago, NickC said:

That's something pretty great about rllmuk, the society / elections / committee approach stops a 'benevolent dictator' fucking everything up :)

Unless the community vote folk like Angel in! Good job that one fell apart!

By the way, if you want to know if GAF going down is a good or bad thing just go on Twitter and search Neogaf. Nothing but anime-girl avatared 4chan-ites crowing and making liberal use of the words 'cuck' and 'sjw'. Ignoring the actions of this Evilore douchbag, this is a bloody disaster for the 'good guys' on the internet.

Yep, it was great for picking up industry news and rumours but anything other than that and it was a nasty, spiteful little cesspit of immature egos and "dog piling".

Speaking as some one in the industry, I did find some of the back seat development that took place there comedic and frustrating in equal measure. 

I suppose a site that big though is always going to have more than its fair share of idiots. 

7 minutes ago, GokouD said:

By the way, if you want to know if GAF going down is a good or bad thing just go on Twitter and search Neogaf. Nothing but anime-girl avatared 4chan-ites crowing and making liberal use of the words 'cuck' and 'sjw'. Ignoring the actions of this Evilore douchbag, this is a bloody disaster for the 'good guys' on the internet.

This is just "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" which doesn't really apply in this case. Just because they're opposed to it doesn't mean it was good and that in the long run migration and a change in management will be better than having it run by the douchebag who has always just seen it as his personal cash cow.

Anyway, his statement will surely be a thing to behold. The one about the paedophile admin was a pack of lies.

14 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Unless the community vote folk like Angel in! Good job that one fell apart!

I think the point is that there is a mechanism for Rllmuk to exist independently of any member of the Board, e.g. we could throw angel overboard without a critical part of the forum infrastructure going with him. 

I've always viewed NeoGAF as an excellent source/aggregator of game news, but a godawful place for actual discussion. When I went to bed Last everyone was having a fairly cordial discussion about yet another high(ish) profile entertainment media figure being accused of being a sex pest. Wake up today and the thread has ballooned, mainly due to the meltiest meltdown on here since that one guy had his 'council houses'  rant and some posters seemingly gleefully greeting the news of a woman being sexually assaulted as an opportunity to score points in the eternal console war going on in their heads. Sterling work. Not sure we can feel that superior to their member base in this thread this morning.

Gaf was so huge that is covered the entire gaming spectrum. And by spectrum I mean every type of social disfunction. For every normal sane person up for a discussion about the gaming issue of the day there were at least a dozen or more frothing lunatics.

I read it a lot but didn't post much. It just wasn't worth the grief. I'll still miss it though. Hopefully someone will start a replacement with less sex offenders.

4 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

What the fuck is this for @Yoshimax?

How odd. You negged his post a couple of hours ago and only now want to go back to it? Interesting...

Report it to the mods and have it dealt with. He's already been warned for it in the thread I believe. 

If it goes down permanently then I'm going to miss it.  I only ever used it as a gaming resource really - you would always know that whatever you were playing, no matter how old or obscure, there would be a massive thread on NeoGAF full of people enthusing about the game.  I never really paid any attention to the personalities involved, I just used it to read what people were saying about games.  On that basis alone it was a great resource.  Shame that all internet forums inevitably succumb to DRAMA!!!