GAF Meltdown - owner accused

Yoshimax

13 hours ago, Spartan said:

I see the off topic forum is back up but with a lot of major political and current affair threads having been wiped out or being deleted as they are created. The forum as a whole is pretty lifeless now though.

Comparing the Mario Odyssey thread on neogaf to resetera is night and day. Neogaf is dead. It's been fascinating to watch a such large community implode and resurrect elsewhere so quickly. Quite heartening really as the community as a whole largely took a moral stand against the owners actions. 

The guests of the bride/guests of the Groom thing is good though. 

9 minutes ago, probotector said:

just compare the wrestling threads. 

I will not. 

Registered, mostly because I once wanted a neogaf account in a hurry and it took three months for them to approve it. At least the next time a former staffer gets plastered and makes up a load of bullshit about us I will have an account ready to go. 

36 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I'm surprised at quite how much their traffic has fallen since the meltdown.

I'm not, it's been simmering for a while since the Gaming forum has had the Trump/GG/milkshake duck stuff bubbling under the surface for a while. The Last Night thread was a proper shitshow and that was only days before the meltdown.

For what it's worth, I had my account approved really quickly, I linked my GAF profile even though I barely posted but I guess they just want to be sure no troublemakers go over.

Forgive my traitorous behaviour, but I signed up for a restera ID using a bt email (ta for the tip). I can log in, add threads to my watched list etc. and have a profile page, which I assume means I have been accepted for a restera membership. But I have no apparent way to post threads or reply to threads, the bottom of each page just says 'insufficient privileges to post' or some such.

To those that have joined over there, is that par for the course for some set period of time? Or does that sound a bit odd. I can't post there to actually ask and google is no help.

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Forgive my traitorous behaviour, but I signed up for a restera ID using a bt email (ta for the tip). I can log in, add threads to my watched list etc. and have a profile page, which I assume means I have been accepted for a restera membership. But I have no apparent way to post threads or reply to threads, the bottom of each page just says 'insufficient privileges to post' or some such.

To those that have joined over there, is that par for the course for some set period of time? Or does that sound a bit odd. I can't post there to actually ask and google is no help.

Your account has to be approved by a mod/admin or whatever. You will be notified via e-mail. 

5 minutes ago, jonamok said:

You haven't been approved yet by the looks of it.

12 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Okay, cheers. Weird system to let me have a profile page and the ability to filter threads etc, but not be 'approved'.

I registered with my BT email also. Just had my account approved so maybe wait a little longer. Certainly quicker than the 12 months it took to be approved on Neogaf. The sites3 already up to 20,000 members. Neogaf is well and truly dead.

22 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Okay, cheers. Weird system to let me have a profile page and the ability to filter threads etc, but not be 'approved'.

It's just how the forum software works. Same way that NeoGAF worked on different software as well. I don't think it's a bad thing, as at least the forum will now save your read status for each thread. And you can subscribe to threads. I was approved in around 5 hours.

I got approved too. It's still a weird sort of atmosphere, like they haven't decided whether they are going to absorb the GAF mindset yet. It's like everyone is making small talk at a party, or like they feel a need to robotically recreate the exact threads that were on GAF,  even though they have nothing new to say.

I'm sure it'll soon liven up, they seem to have grabbed all the good posters.

• 2 months later...

NeoGAF will be going down to perform a major system update on January 6th, 2018, at approximately 6 PM EST (23:00 GMT). 

With this update we will migrate from our well-worn vBulletin 3.8 forum platform to sprightly XenForo 2.0 in order to improve user experience and facilitate new features and modernizations. As we have an enormous forum database spanning from 2004 to 2018 and will be retaining all existing threads, posts, and user accounts, we'll need approximately 6-24 hours of downtime to convert our database and configure everything for a seamless transition. 

IMPORTANT: all existing avatar images will be wiped during the update procedure. If you wish to continue using your current user avatar image on the new 2.0 board, please save your current avatar image file to your computer/cloud service/image host externally ASAP, before we take the site offline for the update.

IMPORTANT: If your current NeoGAF username contains a comma (,), that comma will be replaced with a period (.) after the update. Be sure to adjust your login information accordingly when the update goes live if you're among that small subset of users with one or more commas currently in your username. Other special characters in usernames should not be affected. 

Also note: while we've been preparing for this update throughout 2017 with an accompanying design refresh for NeoGAF, we were originally targeting XenForo 1.5 and only recently changed the target to XenForo 2.0. We're still working on adapting all that completed design work done for XF 1.5 over to XF 2.0's newer code base, so when we go live there will still be a lot of placeholder/default elements in the design temporarily. 

Basically, the site design's going to be in beta for a little while. We'll push regular updates after launch to integrate all that 1.5 design work as intended and also listen to user feedback along the way. Please pardon the construction and don't be concerned if things look a little/lot different at the start. 

Thanks!