Weezer. Does anyone like them?

• 2 weeks later...

Say It Ain’t So

The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

Only In Dreams

All from Blue. Pinkerton is amazing, Green has some good shit and Maladoit. Fallen off after that but happy to listen to all of their shut on Spotify.

I made a 'best of' playlist. It's not all of their best songs but I picked a few of each album and I think it holds up pretty well. 

Made me realise I really like the Make Believe album, probably my favourite after blue and green. 

I agree with the top 6 and would have it in the same order. I don't know if I've ever read a ranking/list article of anything and found myself agreeing with it quite so much. Blue and Pinkerton are a very close call for me but if pushed I'd still have them as Pinkerton 1 and Blue 2. I'm glad they rated "White" quite highly and also rightly singled out Thank God for girls as the worst track on it. Everything Will be Alright in the end is odd because it delivers exactly what Weezer fans want whilst mocking itself for trying so transparently to deliver exactly what we want. Was nice to see the article point out how underrated/overlooked it is though. Oh and I'd put Hurley at the bottom. I think an album doing absolutely nothing and being 100% forgettable is somehow even worse than an album being actively bad, if that makes any sense.

I still think ''utter shit since 1996'' is overly harsh but they definitely have put out a lot of shite so I can see why people still say it.

I'd have Make Believe I the top 5 but it's not a bad list other than that. 

Weezer are an odd band, they seem to love trolling their fan base. You've got to admire how they do whatever they want, regardless of what their fans or critics think. 

• 1 month later...

They've done an NPR Tiny Desk concert, including Longtime Sunshine, a track that was meant to close Pinkerton and a reminder of just how good even their discarded output was back then.

A version was included on the Pinkerton special edition.

• 2 months later...

Saw them at the O2 Academy in Brixton last night. Loved it. :wub:

They played about half of Blue, half of Pinkerton, the other big singles you’d expect (Hash Pipe/Beverley Hills etc.) and threw in some covers from Teal. As bland as I found that album, covers for a bit of a laugh always play much better live. I don’t fully trust anyone who doesn’t enjoy Africa when slightly drunk. 

Tired of Sex was the biggest miss for me personally but they were always going to miss one of my favourites from those first two albums as I love so many of them. “Thank God for girls” was the only sour note as I don’t like it at all. 

They did “Say it ain’t so” as the last song of the encore and I nearly cried. 

Great show, can’t wait to see them again. 

On 30/06/2019 at 11:36, JLM said:

Saw them at the O2 Academy in Brixton last night. Loved it. :wub:

They played about half of Blue, half of Pinkerton, the other big singles you’d expect (Hash Pipe/Beverley Hills etc.) and threw in some covers from Teal. As bland as I found that album, covers for a bit of a laugh always play much better live. I don’t fully trust anyone who doesn’t enjoy Africa when slightly drunk. 

Tired of Sex was the biggest miss for me personally but they were always going to miss one of my favourites from those first two albums as I love so many of them. “Thank God for girls” was the only sour note as I don’t like it at all. 

They did “Say it ain’t so” as the last song of the encore and I nearly cried. 

Great show, can’t wait to see them again. 

I was there too. Fantastic. I also loved that as a closing song but I'd have played a couple less covers in favor of some originals. Odd that they play nothing off the newest album. 

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...