rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Pulsar

OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter

29 minutes ago, thegreathopper said:

Just plugged in my OSSC which arrived yesterday, looking good so far,,, except I stupidly clicked power supply instead of remote on my order so cannot change any settings,

picture looks great but I want to play with scan lines.

I think you can use any programmable remote with it, you'd just have to program it yourself.

On 11/29/2017 at 22:25, kernow said:

Hope my TV supports it 

I think pretty much all TV's will support the 480p (2x). As much as I love the 5X mode, 2X does still look really really good as My TV scales that well! And the scanlines in 480p/2X mode look the best imo. 

The whole thing is just a fun bit of kit to play with. 

5 hours ago, Treble said:

These are down to £150

Blooming typical that they hit their lowest price after Christmas, when no-one has a bean. 

I kept my powder dry, but shall I spend the money I'm saving for geo games on an ossc?

I don't bother with retro consoles* but if you're a keeper of the flame then I'd say funding these sorts of things is essential. CRTs are only going to age then die (much faster than the old consoles they're displaying) and they're bloody awkward and heavy :)

Of course, everything is going to age and die and it's very easy to get into a nihilistic spiral with this chain of thought... 

So, in summary: buy it! At worst you're rewarding the people who developed an open source project that will pay off with cheaper, better versions as time goes on. At best, everything you own will look much better for far longer! 

* I play old games constantly, but I'm an emulator chap. 

Just dug my Dreamcast out, VGA  through ossc,  super street fighter 2: looks ridiculously amazing. In fact all Dreamcast games look stunning through it (well the ones I played anyway!) It's mind blowing how good the picture is.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bplus said:

Just dug my Dreamcast out, VGA  through ossc,  super street fighter 2: looks ridiculously amazing. In fact all Dreamcast games look stunning through it (well the ones I played anyway!) It's mind blowing how good the picture is.

Yeah it's awesome -- coming from someone who also and still owns a Framemeister -- I prefer the OSSC to the Framemeister, but I'm lucky as my TV accepts everything I've thrown at it inc. the often problematic Super Famicom/SNES with it's weird 60.8Hz refresh. 

The OSSC looks are little more "authentic" and the complete lack of lag is noticeable. Framemeister adds about 18ms onto everything. 

14 hours ago, super_quincy said:

I’m really considering getting one for my YouTube stuff. I’ve got RGB for all my consoles but a lot of my cables I’ve had for years. Will this be a problem?

13 hours ago, kernow said:

No! Do it

One of the best things I've bought 

I also love mine. It's my preferred scaler over the Framemeister. 

I'm also lucky enough to own a gscart lite, which has two Scart output, so I can run one to my PVM and the other to my OSSC, for capture and the like. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, super_quincy said:

I’m trying to justify it, it would only get used for video capture though at I've got 2 CRTs in the game room 

I think some capture cards can be a bit picky when using the ossc. Some capture cards don't like the original consoles slightly off-spec refresh rates/resolution through the ossc as it doesn't normalize the signal like a framemeister does. Worth having a look into before getting one just in case it wouldn't suit.

13 minutes ago, jamesy said:

I think some capture cards can be a bit picky when using the ossc. Some capture cards don't like the original consoles slightly off-spec refresh rates/resolution through the ossc as it doesn't normalize the signal like a framemeister does. Worth having a look into before getting one just in case it wouldn't suit.

In using a basic scart to hdmi running into an Elgato right now. It’s ok but not brilliant 

20 hours ago, dvdx2 said:

One for sale on bordersdown for £105....

The one on bordersdown is the 1.5 version, which doesn't have HDMI.

Yeah, you could use millions of adapters, or just get the 1.6

So it's arrived and out of the box it plays nicely with my Elgato HD 60.

I think I've got a shit load of fiddling to get the best out of it but I'm very pleased with the results so far, plus it keeps the aspect ratio unlike my old SCART to HDMI convertor

• Upvote 2