rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Future Man

From Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg comes a series you may expect Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg to be behind. Whole series comes to Hulu on 14 November.

Josh Hutcherson, from Hunger Games, plays Josh Futterman (Futterman/Future Man, geddit?) who is a janitor and gamer. He completes a game sent back from the future to find someone to save the future. Like The Last Starfighter. As they literally say. Turns out a cure for herpes has basically doomed mankind so he has to travel back in time to kill the creator.

Ed Begly Jr., Haley Joel Osment and Keith David are also in it. Glenne Headly also appears, but she died after filming 5 episodes.

See how many movie references you can spot.

• Upvote 1

This has started, and it's actually pretty good. Yes, it's a copy of The Last Starfighter and riffs off so many other films/tv shows/games and has plenty of immature humour but it does it well.

I've watched 8 episodes of this tonight, and it really does start to pick up after a fairly predictable start. Episode 7 in particular is absolutely superb.

I wonder if Rogen made this because he couldn’t actually get The Last Starfighter rights - despite repeated attempts and even getting Spielberg involved.

This deserves a lot more attention. Very funny and chock full of loving references to time-travelling sci-fi/80's and 90's flicks. Just finished the series and it's up there with The Good Place, for me. I cringed when I saw Seth Rogen's name amongst the producers,  but there's just the right amount of toilet humour, thank god.

I watched the first two episodes and thought it was just awful. And that's putting aside the fact that it very aggravatingly gets absolutely everything about video games wrong. You'd think it was made by men in their 50s or 60s for how out of touch it is. I mean jesus, the main guy uses a joystick? To play what, his Amiga?

Does it really improve that much?

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Comrade said:

I watched the first two episodes and thought it was just awful. And that's putting aside the fact that it very aggravatingly gets absolutely everything about video games wrong. You'd think it was made by men in their 50s or 60s for how out of touch it is. I mean jesus, the main guy uses a joystick? To play what, his Amiga?

I thought it was a bit naff too. 

And yeah, why is he using a HOTAS flight stick in one hand and a keyboard in the other to play a 3rd person game that seemed to be made up of cut scenes?

• Upvote 2

If you're both finding the incorrect use of a joystick the most interesting thing to discuss, then yeah I'd knock it on the head after a couple of episodes. 

• Upvote 1

I'm going to stick with it for a while, it just annoys the shit out of me when shows with computer games get it so wrong.  It happens all the time, often players whacking all the buttons on a pad, it's like they only ever play street fighter!

• Upvote 1

Just finished this and I really enjoyed it. It really picks up after 5 episodes as the characters get fleshed out. Look forward to a second season.

On 20/11/2017 at 17:54, Cool Ben said:

I'm going to stick with it for a while, it just annoys the shit out of me when shows with computer games get it so wrong.  It happens all the time, often players whacking all the buttons on a pad, it's like they only ever play street fighter!

Stop getting Street Fighter wrong.

Looks like it secured a much bigger budget for the 2nd season, of course that could be a bad thing with a show like this. The small scale charm of the 1st season could be lost as they try and make it in to something it was never really meant to be.

I watched the first episode and thought it was..."alright". After the first episode I actually forgot it existed. Not really to memorable in my opinion.

Blitzed first season of this over the last couple of weeks. Loved it. Very funny, entertainingly childish - the prosthetic for Wolf’s cock and balls is amazing - and clearly made with much love. The guy who plays Wolf is amazing. And his journey from assassin to Chef is brilliantly done.

Just seen the first 3 of S2, and it’s quite different but still lovely. Highly recommended, give it another try people.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, watching on SyFy this time around. First three were definitely different, but still rather enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. 

It's been renewed for a third season, which will be the last. Also just 8 episodes.

• Upvote 1

Probably for the best. Been a much weaker season this time. The whole NAG/MONS thing didn’t have enough legs to drive 13 episodes, but kept watchable by the stellar leads.

• Upvote 1