IGNORED

Hell Let Loose - Authentic Large Scale WWII FPS (2019)

Nespresso

gwxBwrA.jpg

By Black Matter 

Official Site | Steam

Release Date: PC Early Access 2019

ABOUT

You've never played World War 2 the way it was meant to be played... with lumbering tanks dominating the battlefield, crucial supply chains fuelling the frontlines, being a cog in the machine of colossal combined arms warfare. Hell Let Loose puts you in the chaos of war, complete with deep player-controlled vehicles, a dynamically evolving front line, and crucial unit-focused gameplay that commands the tide of battle.

Featuring sweeping maps modelled on real reconnaissance images and satellite data, the entire battlefield is divided up into large capture sectors - allowing for emergent and constantly unique gameplay that pits two forces of fifty players in a fight to the death across fields, bridges, forests and towns on an ever-evolving front line. When a sector is captured, it will generate one of three resources for your team, creating a complex meta-game that will influence your team’s march to victory.

HLL_Gunned_Down.gif?t=1543417480

An Epic Theatre of War
Take to the battlefield in 50 vs 50 multiplayer across huge maps. Choose one of 14 playable roles within infantry, recon and armour unit types, each equipped with different weapons, vehicles and equipment. Play as an Officer, Scout, Machine Gunner, Medic, Engineer, Tank Commander and more to experience every aspect of World War II combat.

HLL_Carnage.gif?t=1543417480

Unprecedented Realism
Placing you on real-scale iconic battlefields of World War II is at the heart of the Hell Let Loose experience. Historical vehicles, weapons, uniforms are intricately detailed, and the combat is as brutal and bloody as it was on the day. Combat takes place on huge, to-scale maps from real battle locations, recreated using archival aerial photography and satellite imagery in stunning detail using Unreal Engine 4.

HLL_Artillery.gif?t=1543417480

Fight Together - Win Together
Hell Let Loose is not about kill to death ratios and unlocks - teamwork is central to gameplay. Communication is essential. Players work together beneath the leadership of officers and their commander to take strategic targets on the battlefield and dominate the opposition. Hell Let Loose is a game that demands teamwork and communication not only to win, but to survive. 

HLL_MAP_Resized.png?t=1543417480

Unique Meta game
Fight for victory by breaking through the enemy lines on a large, evolving battlefield. The unique sector capture metagame require teams to make continual large scale tactical decisions as to where to attack or defend. Manage resources and supplies to call in support, re-inforce strong-points or flank enemies. Strategy is key to success.

Key Features: 
• Fight in epic 50 vs 50 multiplayer battles
• Select one of 14 unique roles
• Take control of the full spectrum of vehicles - from the fearsome Panther tank to the humble Jeep
• Bombard and wipe the enemy from the field by taking control of heavy weapons - such as anti-tank guns and artillery
• Build defenses on the battlefield to fortify your position
• Use teamwork to smash through the enemy front line and push through to victory
• Play the game as the Commander and lead your team to victory using different abilities as you orchestrate your forces via the tactical map

Kickstarter

Spoiler

I’m tired of big promises that are never fulfilled. Will this game ever see release?

We feel the crowdfunding fatigue as much as you do. As backers of several enormous and ambitious projects that never lived up to the hype, we decided that we would only begin our Kickstarter campaign once we had a playable client from end to end. That means launching the application, connecting to a server and actually playing the game at an Alpha level of quality. We’re thrilled that we can do all those things, and that all funds from this Kickstarter will go towards fleshing out and widening the scope of what we feel is already a deep experience.

Isn’t this the same as every other World War Two FPS?

As a team of realism and World War Two fans, we’ve always found there to be a profound lack of innovation in the first person shooter genre. Each World War Two game is either a run-and-gun blockbuster that places self-progression first and teamwork last, or it’s a remake of a classic title. 

We have always felt that the genre could be pushed so much further - incorporating vehicles, open world battlefields, deployable fortifications, teamwork and realism all wrapped up in the beautiful graphics of a modern engine. This is not a World War Two title of last decade. 

Fight Alone, Die Alone. Fight Together, Win Together.

We’re removing all the modern gameplay incentives that we feel focus the entire experience back onto the individual. How many kills can you get? What perks did you unlock? Which gun did you unlock? How do you build a team-play based game on a foundation in which all players actively want to succeed alone? This seemed very counterintuitive to us, as successful warfare is waged only as a coordinated force. 

When reading veterans accounts of battle throughout history, there is a profound selflessness and camaraderie in fight for the men at your side. To reframe this modern day game design, we’re placing all emphasis on a team victory. But how is victory achieved?

Using teamwork and communication, players work together in Platoons beneath the leadership of Officers and the force Commander. Using historically accurate weapons, logistics, armour and tactics, Hell Let Loose is a game that demands teamwork and communication not only to win, but to survive. 

7aced4bf434766876bbd834a099e5721_origina

Surprisingly, the majority of infantry in World War Two were not sniper rifle wielding tank hunters. Each man was given a role, many of them in limited quantities with limited equipment and training.

In Hell Let Loose, players will be able to play as one of 13 roles - each resembling an historical counterpart with the same ammunition count, equipment and capabilities.

4edf855262a9bc8dd0d79f2f6a9855c2_origina

All roles except Rifleman are limited.

IMAGES

Spoiler

ss_45807bea788103dd023590d06d2e88fa2de68

ss_0699a7c62136a97054b2f7f83d3eaad3e1481

ss_088de3b73d96b87c90124a475183b1a0e5bda

88558345b2e636109ccf9764994d893a_origina

d06801cc469513bef7b6a0c30c21a9bc_origina

6d2394363fa1478c2ac94e2d19c5e3fa_origina

d7cdabc888f87c81d8d86c441b2c70c8_origina

94eb77360ec4e0dc518e4a1066fa2221_origina

fc08186a2c4bca50ed89b249f3465e5f_origina

VIDEOS

Spoiler

I've been keeping a close eye on this ever since the reveal trailer as solid WWII shooters are, for better or worse, hard to come by these days. I mean aside from Day of Infamy and... err, well World at War (released almost 10 years ago btw) there's nothing worthy of note really. Odd title and cringey gameplay trailer (see Kickstarter page) not withstanding it does look very promising. Here's hoping they can live up to the talk though.

Support the development of this game by backing it on Kickstarter so we can finally have the WWII shooter we deserve! I'm very much looking forward to checking out the closed alpha myself in any case.

@PK @Nathan Wind @mr_woo Get in on this. We will be the bestest squad there ever was.

new Kickstarter update just came out: light tanks and a forest map! :omg:

Hürtgen Forest

Divided by the moss cloaked remnant of the Siegfried Line, the Battle of Hürtgen Forest will force vehicles into muddy choke-points while infantry battle through dense pine forest and across a grassy river plain. Dodging deforested machine-gun firing lines and fighting their way up through hills wrapped in pillboxes, barbed wire and tank-traps, the US forces will need to employ artillery, mortars and grenades to dislodge the dug-in Germans. Check out these early in-engine WIP images of the Hurtgen Forest map:

c40fd523c551b52a47e2a26c20923c12_origina

88abcf76a71e8c3422415b37ec495979_origina

Dense forest will force vehicles on to narrow roads.

Light Tanks

The M5 Stuart Light Tank and the Panzer II 'Luchs' will provide a lightly armored, fast-moving vanguard to the heavier main forces. In Hell Let Loose we expect light armor to move as fast as possible into central positions on the battlefield. The temporary screen they create will allow heavier elements and infantry formations to move into position before the main host engages in battle.

PayPal

We will establish a PayPal option to back Hell Let Loose in the weeks after the completion of the Kickstarter and will be offering our most popular backer options. Stay tuned for more information.

Definitely interested in this but shall wait for the full release.  COD WW2 shall satisfy my WW2 gaming needs for now when it's out (i'm one  of the few here who actually really enjoyed the beta :P  ) plus I'm looking forward to Battalion 1944 once it makes an appearance as well.

I do have Day Of Infamy though, I really should install that again!

19 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Definitely interested in this but shall wait for the full release.  COD WW2 shall satisfy my WW2 gaming needs for now when it's out (i'm one  of the few here who actually really enjoyed the beta :P  ) plus I'm looking forward to Battalion 1944 once it makes an appearance as well.

I do have Day Of Infamy though, I really should install that again!

Day of Infamy just had another new free update as well which includes a lovely new map! Me and that Swedish guy still play almost every day. :)

I'll be all over Battalion once that's out as well though!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Looks very good.  All that foliage will make for an excellent 'no fucking idea where I just got killed from' sim.

Yup and I love how it just instantly cuts to black as well. No cheeky death cam tactics here! :P

Curious to see what the more urban-type maps are going to be like though. Carentan hype! 

21 hours ago, ZOK said:

Is there anything out these days similar to Battlefield 1943? That was one of my favourite Xbox online experiences.

Not that I can think of and that’s a shame as it was great fun, I guess the new COD could fulfil the slightly arcadey take on the normal BF game but I doubt it :( 

There is another WW2 game I have kickstarted but it’s more like the full BF experience than 1943.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

I played it for an hour over the free weekend and only a few servers were active. Strange, as I would've thought it'd have garnered a strong Red Orchestra community by now, complete with the usual dubious political behaviours. 

• 2 years later...

Giving this a bump - I bought it in the "sale" for Xbox for €30 - previously I'd given the 10 hour trial about 15 minutes before uninstalling it.

This game is incredible. I am in love with it so much.

After feeling down a bit about Battlefield this is totally perked me up. Anyone else playing this regularly?

5 minutes ago, Simmy said:

This game is incredible. I am in love with it so much.

I haven't played it for about a year - but I did try and put a few hours into it. It is really fun, especially if you're thrown into a server where people are willing to talk and properly collaborate - rather than just run around without properly communicating and being a bit "every man for himself".

I'm surprised it's still going, to be honest. I thought interest would have died out - but do follow the game on Twitch and like to watch people playing, on occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought this today in the Xbox sale and im

loving it reminds me of old school bf1942 on the pc with it’s more sim like take rather than jump around arcade shooters that modern battlefield have become.

the maps are huge and look really good - Omaha beach was stunning looking - but there is a lot to take with no tutorials really to explain how it all works (couple of you tube videos later and I think I have the gist).

more importantly up to 6 player squads which is great as we have a Monday night gaming night with five of us which is a pain trying to find new player squad games.