rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

Well, as she says, It's very common to have business meetings etc at hotels and most larger ones will have rooms set up for that purpose. Also I guess the person who "let" her go there (as much as anyone can "let" a 17 year old do anything) would have been her agent, and agents are part of the system that supports and enables men like Mr Weinstein. I'm sure there's a possibility that when they set up the meeting, they knew what might occur, but let the young Miss Beckinsale find that out on her own. This must be the case for a lot of meetings that agents set up with producers / casting directors and young talent.

• Upvote 3

To clarify. About 90% of film festival business is done in hotel rooms. Sundance, Berlin, Vancouver, Cannes, AFM (LA), SXSW etc. nearly every meeting i've ever had has taken place in a hotel room. That's just how it goes.

So being called to a hotel room at a festival is not a big thing.

Example, look at this pic from last years cannes fest. Every hotel room is a different company

cannes-film-festival-france-may-general-

HOWEVER, if your appointment then answers the door in a bath robe... Fucking run.

Still though, don't judge girls for being directed to a hotel...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

Well, as she says, It's very common to have business meetings etc at hotels and most larger ones will have rooms set up for that purpose. Also I guess the person who "let" her go there (as much as anyone can "let" a 17 year old do anything) would have been her agent, and agents are part of the system that supports and enables men like Mr Weinstein. I'm sure there's a possibility that when they set up the meeting, they knew what might occur, but let the young Miss Beckinsale find that out on her own. This must be the case for a lot of meetings that agents set up with producers / casting directors and young talent.

Of course if these events ran that deep it would be easy to set them up. My bad. 

24 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

To clarify. About 90% of film festival business is done in hotel rooms. Sundance, Berlin, Vancouver, Cannes, AFM (LA), SXSW etc. nearly every meeting i've ever had has taken place in a hotel room. That's just how it goes.

So being called to a hotel room at a festival is not a big thing.

Example, look at this pic from last years cannes fest. Every hotel room is a different company

cannes-film-festival-france-may-general-

HOWEVER, if your appointment then answers the door in a bath robe... Fucking run.

Still though, don't judge girls for being directed to a hotel...

That's a shop mate. Stop bringing down this honourable industry.

• Upvote 2

@kerraig UK if you were writing a script about a fictional director, let's call him Trenton Quarantino, what kind of stories would you tell about him?

• Upvote 2

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Carrie Fisher saying in an interview that in order to get roles you had to "bang the director". I dont remember how old the interview was, perhaps from the 90's, or early 2000's. In any case, I got a feeling this thing is going to blow up and get even more ugly :(

The Oscars board has now expelled him. What exactly does that mean? 

Is Hollywood finally going to clean house? 

Re: the hotel room stuff, I think it's also important to remember that most high class hotel rooms aren't like Premier Inn where you walk in and there's barely any room to move and two crusty old beds. They have kitchens, living rooms and the like, and the bedroom is often an entirely separate room.

(May not be the case at something like Canne where every hotel is completely booked up so business is taking place everywhere, but I'd hazard a guess Weinstein and the other big wigs weren't slumming it)

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Harvey used to stay at the Hotel Du Cap, in the penthouse. It's fucking huge.

Corrected that for you. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, NickC said:

The Oscars board has now expelled him. What exactly does that mean? 

Is Hollywood finally going to clean house? 

:lol:

There'd be nobody left. They're scrambling around hoping that they can avoid being damaged by their association with him. 

• Upvote 1

That Lars Von trier? He's an awful man from what I've heard but I thought he was equally awful to everyone.

Alec Baldwin is calling out Fox News for hypocrisy (like that's new) after some of their commentators said TWC should be shut, reminding them of Ailes and O'Reilly.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

That Lars Von trier? He's an awful man from what I've heard but I thought he was equally awful to everyone.

I alaways had an suspicion  that part of the “Dogma” movement was about treating the actors awfully in the name of art. Which sort of repelled me from those works.

But it wasn't. Dogme manifesto was about film production and naturalism and steering away from Hollywood artificiality and polish (and actually was about removing the director as author).

Lars Von Trier is a dick but blame him, not his co-authored film movement that actually produced some pretty amazing films.

• Upvote 1

I like this little snippet from the onion: How Could Harvey Weinstein Get Away With This?’ Asks Man Currently Ignoring Sexual Misconduct Of 17 Separate Coworkers, Friends, Acquaintances

On 13/10/2017 at 22:02, robotattack said:

That Daily Mail coverage implies that any woman who talked to Weinstein, worked for him, or was pulled in for a photograph is complicit in his abuse. What about looking at 1) the guy assaulting and raping women and 2) the staff who set up and cover up such actions for him, the PR and legal team who defend it, and the board who turn a blind eye to it and 3) the social norms that allowed him (and so many men with power) to do so for so long.

I think the most telling detail of all in this story, is the terms of his contract with the weinstein corporation, which cannot fire him for sexual misconduct provided he pays any compensation to victims himself to keep any costs away from the company. I mean imagine having lawyers write that in, and the board accept those terms of business. To me that says he knows he was a serial abuser, and so did everyone else in the company.

And I'm not the only person who found that this story spoke to a deeper norm that almost every woman can identify with. This piece is pretty resonant for me.

1 hour ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

surely new rules need to be placed for the industry e.g. if you are to have supposedly business meeting in hotel rooms, then there should be CCTV.

The problem with adding process and rules around men meeting alone with women (see Mike Pence's self-imposed requirement to have a chaperone if he's ever alone with a woman who's not his wife, the weirdo) is that the men will still be able to have face-to-face meetings with each other without such restrictions. So it will just exclude women from many important conversations and harm them professionally. I expect there will always be powerful individuals who try to abuse their power, but even though you can never completely remove the possibility, you can make sure such actions cannot be taken with impunity. Basically the problem is not necessarily that individuals like Harvey Weinstein are predatory, but that can they do these things again and again with zero consequences.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/woody-allen-warns-of-hollywood-witch-hunt-after-weinstein-allegations-20171015-gz1h3e.html

Brave film director warns about the perils of creating a witch hunt. Good for you Woody Allen! Hopefully other luminaries like Roman Polanski will be asked for comment too!

Ooh, I hadn't twigged that the reporter who broke the story was Ronan Farrow, Woody's estranged son (who may or may not be Sinatra's biological son). No wonder he has an interest in investigating such stories, given the allegations about how Woody abused his sister. Woody also had affairs with teenage actresses, liked to mix work and personal lives, and then had an affair with his step-daughter who he subsequently married. He is about 40 years her senior, and they got together when she was 18-21* so it seems he might have some common ground with Weinstein, as well as feeling indebted to him for taking him in to Miramax after the scandal broke.

Complicated and tangled motivations at play. However, Ronan has got a pretty impressive CV now I looked him up (and seems pretty well-balanced, which might suggest that Farrow did a good job parenting him after separating from Woody, despite all the allegations of her being manipulative and having coached Dylan/Malone to lie). Seems like NBC declined to run the story, so he offered it to the New York Times.

* her age was estimated from bone scans, and she was presumed to have learning disabilities when adopted from South Korea, as she had no language, perhaps due to head injuries.

Just a thought, suppose the right thing happens and all manner of people get arrested, tried, and convicted of their crimes. We all know the president is a bit of a dirty old letch, he must be quietly shitting his orange pants right now?

Whilst I was never really convinced by a lot of the allegations against Woody Allen - beyond a spectacularly poor choice of partner - you'd think he'd have the good sense to keep his mouth shut over this.

• Upvote 3