Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

Recommended Posts

Not much detail yet, but NY prosecutors said Weinstein has been charged over assaulting another woman and the charge carries a potential for life in prison.

 

[edit]

Some more here. Some of the most serious sexual offences in the New York penal system.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. I posted this on January 19th:

 

Quote

The incident I was talking about was Maynard Keenan from Tool. My girlfriend at the time was a bit of a groupie and she witnessed it. This was around 1999 I think. She told the girl to go to the police but the girl didn't want to. I don't know the name of the victim. (The incident was a punch in the face after the girl refused fellatio)

 

In the early message board days there was a website called groupie central where girls would chat about bands, what they like, how to get backstage etc. There was lots of straight talk about bands and band members. So much so that Universal sent them a legal challenge and the site shut down. I remember there were lots of accusations of sexual violence against Jared Leto on there, as well as Maynard and (unsurprisingly) Ian Watkins.

I have definitely been complicit in my past in some stuff that makes me ashamed now looking back. I've never witnessed anything like my girlfriend did but i've seen enough backstage antics on various tours that I know how commonplace it is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whelp it looks like with recent news it's time for some to come of the men blacklisted to come back in from the cold because "haven't they suffered enough?"

 

First cab off the rank Louis CK.

 

https://jezebel.com/here-they-come-again-1828650290

 

It was inevitable, and then it happened: Louis CK made an unannounced appearance at the Comedy Cellar on Sunday night, his first performance since he admitted in November 2017 that he masturbated in front of non-consenting women. CK, who didn’t address his sexual misconduct in his brief set, is clearly testing whether the time is right for his comeback. He’s not alone. Here they come, bearing fumbling excuses and, perhaps, vague stabs at non-legally binding apologies. Here they are, arriving back on the cultural scene, borne along on a tide of supportive famous friends who will tell you, really: Haven’t they been punished enough?

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's been some whispers about Neil De Grasse Tyson that have been kind of ignored for a bit. I read something a year ago about allegations of assualt that seemed to be out of character and as an isolated story maybe not too believable.

 

He's since responded to the allegations.

 

 

I don't think this has done him any favours. He might have been trying to communicate his innocence but it reads to me "I did everything they said I did, but I didn't mean anything by it!"

 

And the most serious of allegations is hand waved away with "she was posting videos of colored tuning forks endowed with vibrational therapeutic energy that she channels from the orbiting planets. As a scientist, I found this odd." ffs.

 

Buzzfeed is following up the story here https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-allegations-four-women

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

There's been some whispers about Neil De Grasse Tyson that have been kind of ignored for a bit. I read something a year ago about allegations of assualt that seemed to be out of character and as an isolated story maybe not too believable.

 

He's since responded to the allegations.

 

 

I don't think this has done him any favours. He might have been trying to communicate his innocence but it reads to me "I did everything they said I did, but I didn't mean anything by it!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or "I remember those events/moments, the way the other party felt wasn't my intention, if I had known/once I did know they felt that way I would have offered/I offered my apologies".

 

The last one is rather shitty though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I listened to the full set a couple of days ago. Well most of it, I got bored and switched it off eventually but I think I was near the end.

I say ashamed because I was halfway through Horace and Pete when the news broke and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I've never been able to listen to or watch any of his stuff since. I caught myself joyfully humming Gary Glitters "Another Rock n Roll Christmas" in the shower a few days ago and got the same sinking feeling.

 

Some people say you should be able to separate the art from the artist, but in Louis' case, you really can't, his act is built around his soul, his being, it's him standing there and saying things, connecting to you one to one, a lot of his material had him walking the tightrope between feminist and sexually frustrated middle aged man, playing in the grey area between, and well, obviously that area ain't so grey any more.

I always thought there was something slightly suspicious about the heart of gold, pity-me, sad dog eyed portrayal of himself in his sitcom, always casting himself as the loveable, hard done by every-man.

 

It was before the twitter outrage, and at the time it was hard to find so I enjoyed the challenge of sourcing a copy.

I listened out of curiosity more than anything, I like comedy and liked some of Louis stuff.

 

I have to say, the most offensive thing in the whole set was the absolute cretin who recorded it, constantly braying and telling us how funny he finds the word "retard".

 

I sniggered once, after he said something outrageous, he goes "Who cares, what are they gonna do, take away my birthday? I've got nothing"

 

It's clearly a work in progress, and there is some alright, mid-grade Louis stuff in there that you can see might work with a bit more effort and tweaking, but there's just so much lazy, punching down, trite, unfunny crap there. Maybe it was the stripping away of the perceived layers, or the running commentary from the braying moron, but the demise of Louis CK no longer seems like the great loss to comedy it once did.

 

I did expect him to come back, but I expected him to be a changed person, or at least humble, he seems to have regressed, he's as bitter, if not more so than he was ten years ago before he got famous. This is not a good sign. The audience will thin out, but it's sad to think that those "hardcore fans" were always there.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very similar to my own thoughts on this. I thought his comeback would be really refreshing/smart, I always imagined the ONLY thing he would talk about in his first sets WOULD be about his life back then, his abuse of power and what his life has been like since it all came out. I believed he of anyone had the ability to do that and still make it funny and honest whilst making it absolutely clear he was in the wrong.

 

I can't believe his latest work in progress material, regardless of tastes/morals isn't entirely about that. I would have avoided the work in progress low key gigs he's been doing and START with a free 30-60min set on his website that's a brutally honest standup show that is essentially seen as the next step of his apology after his initial letter he released back when he was exposed. 

 

I can't believe part of his comeback is punching down on other people, especially victims. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah man, that's exactly how I pictured it. A free, straight to camera 30 minute show on his website, talking about his childhood experiences, exploring his state of mind at the time, the effect his behaviour had on other people. Real soul bearing, honest stuff, not sure how much comedy mileage there would have been in it but that wouldn't have mattered.

His apology letter was absolute bullshit, he doubled down on that in this set telling us exactly how much money he'd lost (35 million).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, witchypoos said:

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I listened to the full set a couple of days ago. Well most of it, I got bored and switched it off eventually but I think I was near the end.

I say ashamed because I was halfway through Horace and Pete when the news broke and I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I've never been able to listen to or watch any of his stuff since. I caught myself joyfully humming Gary Glitters "Another Rock n Roll Christmas" in the shower a few days ago and got the same sinking feeling.

 

Some people say you should be able to separate the art from the artist, but in Louis' case, you really can't, his act is built around his soul, his being, it's him standing there and saying things, connecting to you one to one, a lot of his material had him walking the tightrope between feminist and sexually frustrated middle aged man, playing in the grey area between, and well, obviously that area ain't so grey any more.

I always thought there was something slightly suspicious about the heart of gold, pity-me, sad dog eyed portrayal of himself in his sitcom, always casting himself as the loveable, hard done by every-man.

 

It was before the twitter outrage, and at the time it was hard to find so I enjoyed the challenge of sourcing a copy.

I listened out of curiosity more than anything, I like comedy and liked some of Louis stuff.

 

I have to say, the most offensive thing in the whole set was the absolute cretin who recorded it, constantly braying and telling us how funny he finds the word "retard".

 

I sniggered once, after he said something outrageous, he goes "Who cares, what are they gonna do, take away my birthday? I've got nothing"

 

It's clearly a work in progress, and there is some alright, mid-grade Louis stuff in there that you can see might work with a bit more effort and tweaking, but there's just so much lazy, punching down, trite, unfunny crap there. Maybe it was the stripping away of the perceived layers, or the running commentary from the braying moron, but the demise of Louis CK no longer seems like the great loss to comedy it once did.

 

I did expect him to come back, but I expected him to be a changed person, or at least humble, he seems to have regressed, he's as bitter, if not more so than he was ten years ago before he got famous. This is not a good sign. The audience will thin out, but it's sad to think that those "hardcore fans" were always there.


My two takeaways are: firstly that this material just so unshocking and unfunny. It feels almost safe to go after such soft targets.

 

I personally expected Louis to come back with something really controversial. Something that would really push buttons. I thought he'd come back with a meticulously crafted hour about how he TOLD US FOR YEEEEEEARS that he was a pervert and we fucking loved him for it, because we identified, because we're all just as perverted, and given his access and position of power, we'd probably do even worse, but we don't because we're too lazy and scared and thats why he's the millionaire who jerks off in front of Sarah Silverman and we're the losers who jerk off to his DVD specials. 

My other takeaway is almost a confession. I don't find what he did tallies with the assassination he's received. It's grimy as fuck and paints him as a pathetic individual, but I doubt its as depraved as stuff Eddie Murphy or Andrew Dice Clay or Richard Pryor got up to, and their reputations are pretty unsullied. I don't think he's a victim, but I also don't think the punishment is matching the crime. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, witchypoos said:

Yeah man, that's exactly how I pictured it. A free, straight to camera 30 minute show on his website, talking about his childhood experiences, exploring his state of mind at the time, the effect his behaviour had on other people. Real soul bearing, honest stuff, not sure how much comedy mileage there would have been in it but that wouldn't have mattered.

His apology letter was absolute bullshit, he doubled down on that in this set telling us exactly how much money he'd lost (35 million).

 

Yeah listening to it now, it's bizarre. Just references the situation by complaining how he's had a shitty year and lost money. Then goes straight back to making masturbation/'pussy' jokes. Then he transitions into some observational comedy about tipping in foreign countries. Possibly the oddest part is how he talks of private meetings with his doctor where the doctor suggests for Louis to take his clothes off rather than demanding he takes off his clothes and how frustrated he was that the doctor was giving him an option when he really felt like he had no choice. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this might have been linked to months ago but someone just sent it my way.

 

If you've been wondering where Brendan Fraser has been up until recently it kinda looks like he's been blacklisted. Not for being an offender or a pervert....just the opposite.

 

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/brendan-frasers-metoo-story-is-why-more-male-victims-dont-speak-out

 

 


There are many reasons why victims of harassment or physical abuse don’t always come forward right away, depending on factors too numerous to mention. Women will of course be pilloried and threatened by corrupt institutions and misogynist trolls for daring to accuse a man, but these antagonists start from the assumption that she’s making it up or actually to blame. With a man, you can acknowledge the incident as reported — we have no problem trusting a man’s version of reality — while still brushing it off as a joke.

This is happening right now to the actor Brendan Fraser, who in February went public with an allegation that Philip Berk, a one-time president of the powerful Hollywood Foreign Press Association, groped his buttocks and (act omitted due to content. I can't seem to get the spoiler tag working here.) This was in 2003, in a crowded area of the Beverly Hills Hotel, in public view. The violation had Fraser “overcome with panic and fear,” though Berk gladly related the episode in his memoir, leaving out the finger part and characterizing the ass-grab as a playful pinch.

The HFPA promised to investigate Fraser’s claims; three months later, they showed him their proposed follow-up statement. It read, in part: “Although it was concluded that Mr. Berk inappropriately touched Mr. Fraser, the evidence supports that it was intended to be taken as a joke and not as a sexual advance.” Again: It happened, everyone agrees it happened, but, well, it doesn’t count, because a man touching another man inappropriately can only be a gay come-on or good-humored bonding behavior.

Since the HFPA ruled out the former, it had to be the latter. This homophobic binary conveniently omits the potential for psychological intimidation or control — the pure “alpha” move, as it were.

Fraser has rejected the HFPA ruling and declined to sign the would-be “joint” statement, saying, “I don’t get the joke.” He was not allowed to read the report of the the investigation or obtain information as to how they reached the conclusion they did. Berk confirmed that to date he remains a voting member of the association and has not been disciplined by the leadership in any way. This is all familiar enough: Thrown into the spotlight by a #MeToo article, the organization that always turned a blind eye to these problems craves a return to the status quo. It therefore pretends to police itself, quietly, and with rather opaque methods, delivering a verdict that ensures nothing will change. Addressing Fraser’s dissatisfaction with their favored spin, the HFPA nonetheless fed the media a denial of wrongdoing, citing their “need to abide by the investigation’s finding that the exchange [with Berk] was not an intended sexual advance.” Still they insist the relative gayness of the groping is the sole metric for determining harm; still they ignore the countless nonsexual implications, professional or personal, of such an encounter. Their job was never to assess whether Berk wanted to sleep with Fraser, and still the statement rests on assurances of Berk’s geniality. Missing this time, however, was the critical word that drew Fraser’s attention in the original draft: “joke.”

That word carried an awful weight. It said that while women are to be permitted, in a small degree, their righteous anger at predatory men of influence, victimized men have a duty to reframe the same trauma as homosocial horseplay. To not add fuel to the fire when it’s already burning hot. To get over it, because men are tough, resilient, unemotional. That “joke” bore the stain of YouTube dudeworld, in which any transgression is theoretically undone with the desperate, magical phrase, “It’s just a prank, bro!”

This is how we victim-blame men: not for drinking too much or wearing the wrong clothes or seeking salacious fame, but for not playing along when another guy crosses a line. The villains here invoke the same fraternity of silence that gaslights and suppresses female victims. Terry Crews, an actor with a #MeToo story much like Fraser’s, shared an email from the music producer Russell Simmons, who advised him to give his abuser “a pass,” as if the assault had happened to someone else, unknown to either man, and then, in a way, nonexistent. To do so would have reinforced the toxic assumption that men are invulnerable to these attacks — that to be a victim is, essentially, to be a woman.

This is the ineluctable terminus of the archaic gender essentialism that says: If you’re not strong enough to swallow your suffering, you’re not a man.

More at the link. It's awful that Brendan Fraser had to go through this shit.

  • Empathy 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all those clickbait articles are so wrong.

 

they said he was blacklisted because his last few movies flopped.

 

were they propagating a cover-up?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2019 at 16:42, kerraig UK said:

I don't find what he did tallies with the assassination he's received.

 

There's definitely a debate to be had there, but it'd be hard to have, besides the incidents he's admitted to, it would depend on how many of the stories you'd heard and which ones you believed. Not everyone would be on the same page.

 

He said in his apology letter that he always "asked for permission" first, but that might not be entirely true.

 

Regardless, it's pretty shitty behaviour that he'd been getting away with for a long time.

The upcoming female comics and people he worked with were worried that saying anything would at the very least ruin their careers.

 

The whole point of the me too movement was to remove that stigma and prove that nobody was untouchable regardless of money and power, and I think what he did was so out of keeping with his projected public image and views that he had a lot further to fall and so hit the ground a lot harder.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SeanR said:

all those clickbait articles are so wrong.

 

they said he was blacklisted because his last few movies flopped.

 

were they propagating a cover-up?

 

 

I should have stuck in an allegedly there because it can’t be proven. It’s always just sheer coincidence that the good roles dry up when someone makes a complaint of this nature.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.