rllmuk
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

12 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Isn't that like an open secret to the world already? Similar actions can be found in any industry, but those that commodify the human body, and particularly the female one, like Hollywood and the fashion industry, are known to be utterly horrible.

I guess it depends how rife.  I'm not sure about others, I guess I assumed some stuff would be going on but are we about to find out that every well known actor/producer/executive will have stories coming out about them? 

15 minutes ago, Charles said:

I guess it depends how rife.  I'm not sure about others, I guess I assumed some stuff would be going on but are we about to find out that every well known actor/producer/executive will have stories coming out about them? 

I hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true for the majority. And not just the well-known ones.

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I fully expect Twitter to cancel the suspension and offer an apology. What in earth are they thinking?

Algorithms are doing their thinking for them. This probably happened for the same reason that Facebook, until recently, allowed you to target anti-semitic cohorts with ads. Robots make mistakes that are bad for PR but they're ultimately much cheaper.

15 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

So stuff has started to come out about Batfleck, considering his ties with both Weinstein and Affleck I'm beginning to wonder if Kevin Smith will get caught up in all this. 

Ben Affleck has ties with himself? Wat?

• Downvote 1

I can see the point that Charles is trying to make - that there have undoubtedly been some people who knew about this that were in privileged enough positions to be have been able to have at least raised a hand (to the authorities in confidence, if not publicly). Maybe they did, maybe that's why the sting and the recording exists. Maybe that's why this is all happening now.

I get that it would have been tough, but even if nothing came of it in a specific instance - you have to support (and enable) the idea that if people came forward (and they were handled with the care and confidentiality that they should be) then after a time somebody in authority would have seen the pattern. That people could be coming out now and not saying "yeah, it happened to me", but that "yeah it happened to me and I flagged it, and I was dealt with in total confidence".

Lots to come out over this for sure, and absolutely the focus needs to be on the scum involved, but there are wider potential questions to be asked about how and why it went on this long without anyone being able (or feeling able) to blow the whistle.

• Upvote 1

Toe-curling tale told on last nights C4 news by a woman producing a movie for him.  Basically, he'd invited himself to seeing a very early cut of a Meg Ryan movie which was apprently very unusual.  Ryan had infamously a no nudity clause in her career and this was the first movie where she would be going topless.  So Weinstein set up a screening and was telling the projectionist to spool forward to the bit where Meg Ryan took her top off before - as the producer heavily hinted - he started cracking one off.

The interviewer asked why she didn't complain and the producer said, very uncomfortably, that it was his money behind the film and if he walked away, everyone lost their jobs and in some cases careers.

3 hours ago, Illyria said:

Is this a joke

I fully expect Twitter to cancel the suspension and offer an apology. What on earth are they thinking?

Don't hold your breath on that one. 

Twitter and most social media platforms dance to the tune of the cash and that's it.

• Upvote 1

From the New Yorker recording, the thing that really stands out is just how pathetic and whiny he sounds. Given the reports I just had this image of some big Hollywood exec basically laying it down and saying "Right, you want to the movie you take the dick" like something out of Ray Donovan. instead, he's like a desperate kid trying to get his end away.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

So stuff has started to come out about Batfleck, considering his ties with both Weinstein and Affleck I'm beginning to wonder if Kevin Smith will get caught up in all this. 

This is rank...

• Empathy 1

I simply do not buy that anyone in the industry was unaware. Harvey's sleaze is legendary. I don't judge anyone for not coming forward. HW was such a powerful figure he could switch off your career in a second. Most people in this industry do it because it has been their dream since childhood. It's not merely a job. 

In face, he's such a powerful presence that I even edited my original post! That seems ridiculous in hindsight, but it was a 'just in case' measure cos I know what a petty fucking arsehole the man is. I've sat in an edit suite with Harvey so many times where he's made lurid comments, treated his staff like shit and just been an all round monster. I've known female publicists from the top agencies who simply refuse to be in the same building as him. Everybody knows what he's like. Everybody. 

That video of Ben Affleck is horrendous, and I wouldn't be surprised if he felt emboldened by his bosses behaviour. That's on the Press tour of Jersey Girl, which I worked on for Miramax. That's when he was with J-Lo, so not even single. Looks like Miramax was a total boys club and I imagine more is going to come of this. Wonder if this is the end for Affleck too...?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Fireproofradiator said:

I've never seen Ray Donovan but this kind of thing is always pathetic no matter how it's done. 

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean there was a 'right' way to do it. I guess when the story broke and the descriptions of him as a powerful, intimidating figure I expected his unwanted advances to be more based in...well...overt power and intimidation. I recognise it's still there and implied ("don't embarrass me, what about our friendship"), I just anticipated it to be more overt ("Do this or else"). Compare and contrast to the tales of Don Simpson and it while both were massive perverts, Weinstein is coming across as waaaaay more clammy skinned and creepy.

4 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I find it hard to believe he could put the moves on anyone without bursting into tears. 

27 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean there was a 'right' way to do it. I guess when the story broke and the descriptions of him as a powerful, intimidating figure I expected his unwanted advances to be more based in...well...overt power and intimidation. I recognise it's still there and implied ("don't embarrass me, what about our friendship"), I just anticipated it to be more overt ("Do this or else"). Compare and contrast to the tales of Don Simpson and it while both were massive perverts, Weinstein is coming across as waaaaay more clammy skinned and creepy.

That audio clip is from a hotel lobby. He's trying to get her to come to his room. 

When you're in the lobby of the hotel du cap and Harvey walks in the entire lobby is suddenly focussed on him. Like a magnet. Every conversation is suddenly about "dont look now, but Harvey just walked in". 

Its really weird and creepy. The film industry is like a cult. Or at least it used to be. Its losing its allure in this modern world of many distractions 

1 minute ago, catinthehat said:

It was on this page...

I'm asking a question, in a manner meant to question the legitamacy of the original statement.

Hexx is just arriving late.

2 minutes ago, QuietBrian said:

I'm asking a question, in a manner meant to question the legitamacy of the original statement.

None of us will have any more information than is in her detailed account of the situation.  I'd take her comments at face value.