rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

I think that clip above is brilliant and encapsulates why we shouldn't condemn people to an Old Testament non-redemptive black hole when they fuck up. Of course Louis CKs behaviour should be condemned, he should be forced to seek help, and he should stay out of the public sphere until he has done so. But he shouldn't be forced to stop doing what he is good at for ever. I don't want a world where the only people telling jokes are impeccable human beings. I don't think they exist.

Surely you can tell the difference between not being 'impeccable' and sexual assault. 

Part of redeeming oneself means taking responsibility for what you did and having the decency to respect the lives and careers of those you hurt. Carrying on making a living out of that same kind of exploratory, therapeutic material seems inappropriate and disrespectful to me. 

I'm not saying he should forever be condemned to a life of misery, or lock himself in a dark room never to be seen again, but I do think he should seek another job/career out of respect.

• Upvote 1

I think it would be disrespectful if he just carried on with the same kind of confessional material and made no reference to what he has done. He'd need to do what he's done with every other issues and bring them out in his comedy. I can imagine you now thinking that's the most crass thing ever, but I really think if he is talking about himself, and what drove him to such despicable behaviour, and his battles with his own impulses, he could articulate something respectful to the women he assaulted while also being scouringly honest about himself, and from that, funny.

So therapy through stand up, making money from being a sexual abuser. No, what he needs to do is get help and focus his attention on getting better. That could take years, decades. 

Besides which no promoter or network would touch him. The world will move on and Louis CK will forever be remembered as the sexual abuser with a sideline in comedy.

• Upvote 2

I'm a fan of Louis but yeah, bit of a conundrum. Anytime I start to defend him (in my head at least) I feel like I'm being this chap;

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/luc-besson-accused-rape-report-1113429

Luc Besson is being accused of rape by a 27-year-old French actress who wishes to remain anonymous. They've known each other for years. I think it allegedly happened Thursday night/Friday morning at a hotel in Paris and she went to the police later Friday morning. She claims to have been drugged and lost consciousness. She woke at some point and he was touching and penetrating her, then left, leaving a wad of cash behind.

Besson denies the claims.

I have always been amazed that Besson got Leon financed. It’s one of my favourite films of all time - but the directors cut categorically makes Leon a pedo (and basically ruins the film for me).

i mean wtf? How on earth did he pitch that one to the suits in Hollywood...  always made me wonder..

https://medium.com/@nerdypoc/should-director-luc-bessons-pedophilia-really-be-forgotten-5471a2c7c9d5

• Upvote 1

That Leon stuff is :blink: but where is the evidence of the claim that he is a pedophile? The article is terrible click-bait, it calls him a statutory rapist but then goes on to say that "Oh, but the age of consent is 15 so there's actually no crime committed!" However wrong/unacceptable/inappropriate the author may think that relationship was, it was neither illegal and, even if it was, still wouldn't make him a pedophile. (I assuming he was in France when that relationship was going on, of course.)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Camel said:

What is different in the directors cut?

the ads on this site are NSFW

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1342

but IMDB has

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/alternateversions

... the the International Cut include:

Mathilda asking Leon to have sex with her and Leon refusing;

Leon explaining why he had to leave Italy and go to New York when he was 19 years old;

Mathilda and Leon sleeping together in a bed;

Mathilda threatening to shoot herself playing Russian roulette.

Leon and Mathilda hitting the home of a tattooed drug dealer, and setting fire to his supply of drugs;

New training missions where Mathilda learns the ropes of becoming an assassin.

Leon and Matilda going to a restaurant to celebrate her first hit

I guess?

41 minutes ago, Camel said:

Does that categorically make him a paedo?  Perhaps it's more obvious when you watch it.

"allusions to", seems to be the general consensus. However, a first draft of the script alledgedly had a sex scene...

who knows?

33 minutes ago, Camel said:

Does that categorically make him a paedo?  Perhaps it's more obvious when you watch it.

Obviously not, no. I can understand objections to his dating and impregnating a fifteen year old, but as has been said he didn’t break the law. As to the film Leon, I never got the sense that it was some kind of pedo manifesto. Mathilda’s mother was a prostitute, so she’s grown up around that, and probably thinks that’s how best to show gratitude/keep Leon from abandoning her as he’s all she’s got now. Leon never encourages her advances, but he’s too socially awkward to talk to her about it. There’s no doubt they both feel affection for each other, and maybe even love at the end, but for Leon it was more of a father/daughter thing, despite Mathilda’s efforts. 

If all anyone gets from watching that film is man+girl+sexualised overtones=pedo then there’s a pretty good chance they’re being disingenuous. 

• Upvote 8

I was asking the question about Leon, not Besson.  I don't think I've seen the director's cut and probably won't if what rubberduckers says is true.  Doesn't seem that clear cut though.

Leon is about a Hitman training a 12 year old how to kill so I think it's supposed to make you feel awkward and question their relationship. It's a pretty fucked up story but I don't think it 'sexualises' Mathilda's character. 

Obviously it's easy to take what was going on in Besson' s private life and transfer that onto Leon, but in the end nothing happened between them. It makes you face awkward questions but it's not as though he's pro pedo or anything. 

12 hours ago, Camel said:

I was asking the question about Leon, not Besson.  I don't think I've seen the director's cut and probably won't if what rubberduckers says is true.  Doesn't seem that clear cut though.

I wouldn’t bother, Camel.

For me the additional scenes didn’t really add anything worthwhile and made the film drag on unnecessarily.

The theatrical cut is much better.

• Upvote 2

Yeah it's super uncomfortable, none of them (except for Alia Shawkat) cover themselves in glory, but Bateman and Cross in particular do not come across in a good light at all.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Harsin said:

Yeah it's super uncomfortable, none of them (except for Alia Shawkat) cover themselves in glory, but Bateman and Cross in particular do not come across in a good light at all.

They've shot themselves in the foot proper given the makeup of their fans. Been following reaction here https://www.metafilter.com/174295/We-Sat-Down-With-the-Arrested-Development-Cast-It-Got-Raw

Most succinct comment

BATEMAN: Again, not to belittle it or excuse it or anything...

NARRATOR: He was.

Anyway there's a lot of fans who've talked about skipping the new season due to this one interview.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised they've wheeled out Tambor on the promo circuit. I understand that they'd already finished filming when all the Transparent stuff came out.

Jason Bateman here walking it back a little (presumably after hearing it back and cringing into the couch)

https://twitter.com/batemanjason

Based on listening to the NYT interview and hearing people’s thoughts online, I realize that I was wrong here. I sound like I’m condoning yelling at work. I do not. It sounds like I’m excusing Jeffery. I do not. It sounds like I’m insensitive to Jessica. I am not. In fact, I’m-- horrified that I wasn’t more aware of how this incident affected her. I was so eager to let Jeffrey know that he was supported in his attempt to learn, grow and apologize that I completely underestimated the feelings of the victim, another person I deeply love - and she was..... sitting right there! I’m incredibly embarrassed and deeply sorry to have done that to Jessica. This is a big learning moment for me. I shouldn’t have tried so hard to mansplain, or fix a fight, or make everything okay. I should’ve focused more on what the most important......part of it all is - there’s never any excuse for abuse, in any form, from any gender. And, the victim’s voice needs to be heard and respected. Period. I didn’t say that and instead said a bunch of other stuff and not very well. I deeply, and sincerely, apologize.

No. Please no.

A young production assistant thought she had landed the job of her dreams when, in the summer of 2015, she started work on "Going In Style," a bank heist comedy starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.

But the job quickly devolved into several months of harassment, she told CNN. She alleges that Freeman subjected her to unwanted touching and comments about her figure and clothing on a near-daily basis. Freeman would rest his hand on her lower back or rub her lower back, she said.

In one incident, she said, Freeman "kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear." He never successfully lifted her skirt, she said -- he would touch it and try to lift it, she would move away, and then he'd try again. Eventually, she said, "Alan [Arkin] made a comment telling him to stop. Morgan got freaked out and didn't know what to say."

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html