rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

The TWC rescue deal is cancelled, so it'll likely go into bankruptcy and be picked apart by others. Seems there were $50m+ in debts which were not disclosed to the buyers.

Here's the quotes from http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terry-gilliam-metoo-mob-rule-1202728819/

In a an interview with AFP on Friday, the filmmaker, a member of the comedy group Monty Python, specifically went after Harvey Weinstein’s alleged victims, and said, “Harvey opened the door for a few people, a night with Harvey — that’s the price you pay.”

“It is a world of victims. I think some people did very well out of meeting with Harvey and others didn’t,” he added. “The ones who did, knew what they were doing. These are adults; we are talking about adults with a lot of ambition.” Gilliam also claimed that some of the women didn’t actually suffer, but used Weinstein to further their careers, and that he knew women who walked out of meetings with the mogul before getting sexually abused.

The “Brazil” and “12 Monkeys” director also defended Matt Damon, who received public backlash in January for suggesting there were levels of sexual harassment, saying that touching someone’s butt is different than rape.

“I feel sorry for someone like Matt Damon, who is a decent human being,” Gilliam said of those original statements. “He came out and said all men are not rapists, and he got beaten to death. Come on, this is crazy!”

Despite describing the #MeToo movement as “simplistic” and “silly,” he still said Weinstein was “a monster” and warned there were still other people in the industry behaving like him. “I don’t think Hollywood will change, power always takes advantage — it always does and always has,” Gilliam said.

Oh dear. Although his point here “I don’t think Hollywood will change, power always takes advantage — it always does and always has,” is correct, it's like trying to stop bullying or domestic violence. The importance of making this visible is not that it does the impossible and stops abuse, it's that it stops serial pattern abuse from happening early on. If survivors are empowered enough to know and say "this is wrong" and raise the alarm rather than internalising it then we can at least minimise harm.

• Upvote 1

You only need to watch the first 5 minutes. She holds up cards saying how she and others were treated. The rest of the video is an interview where she goes into more depth.

He treated his 'angels' like absolute shit basically, was abusive and threatening, refused to pay anyone and partied and took drugs all the time. He's an abusive con artist.

I did read that Vice article previously. I think you may have posted it a while back. That piece didn't suggest anyone doing anything against their will at those parties. It was seedy, sure, but different to what that video contained.

It's ok everyone. We've finally got a progressive to write a poem about the #metoo movement.

Welcome to the podium Sean Penn!

https://www.themarysue.com/sean-penn-gross-book/

The absolute worst part of this novel is what HuffPost says is a “six-page epilogue poem” on the folly of the #MeToo movement.

Brace yourselves.

Though warrior women
Bravely walk the walk,
Derivatives of disproportion
Draw heinous hypocrites
To their flock.
[….]
Where did all the laughs go?
Are you out there, Louis C.K.?
Once crucial conversations
Kept us on our toes;
Was it really in our interest
To trample Charlie Rose?
And what’s with this ‘Me Too’?
This infantilizing term of the day…
Is this a toddler’s crusade?
Reducing rape, slut-shaming, and suffrage to reckless child’s play?
A platform for accusation impunity?
Due process has lost its sheen?
But, fuck it, what me worry?
I’m a hero,
To Time Magazine!

mkdn.gif

• Upvote 2

Grim reading yet again..but with this and when I watched Open Secret, where is the parental protection? Does anyone never think it’s weird a 41 year old guy has flown in especially for your 15 year old daughter’s birthday? Or that you’re going to send your 16 year old daughter to LA to live with him and not find that a bit weird?

Are the parents so awed or honoured that their common sense goes out the window, or am I missing something?

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, luth714 said:

Grim reading yet again..but with this and when I watched Open Secret, where is the parental protection? Does anyone never think it’s weird a 41 year old guy has flown in especially for your 15 year old daughter’s birthday? Or that you’re going to send your 16 year old daughter to LA to live with him and not find that a bit weird?

Are the parents so awed or honoured that their common sense goes out the window, or am I missing something?

Adult who groom children tend to be very good at targetting vunerable families as well. In some cases the parents don't give a shit, in others the abuser almost becomes part of the family.

There's a level of manipulation there that ordinary peopletend not to see. Also from the 70's-90's the big concentration was about stranger danger and all the media  warned kids about sketchy adult strangers trying to lure kids to their cars.

The only media I remember from the time when I was a kid that even suggested that an adult family friend might be a source of danger is the controversial episode of Different Strokes "The Bicycle Man." It has it's faults (such as an incredibly out of place laugh track) but as a portayal of someone grooming  children and family it's pretty close to the mark.

In short, most parents worry about men in mac coats or driving white vans while not worrying enough about overly friendly priests, gym instructors or teachers.

• Upvote 3

On 29 March 2018 at 16:12, dfq23 said:

I saw Nickelodeon have given Dan Schneider the boot..

Just reading a couple of articles

on him after he was referenced in comments in the Ren and Stimpy article.

If a 10th of it is true then why on earth has he been able to get away with it for so long/why only cut ties with him now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Just reading a couple of articles

on him after he was referenced in comments in the Ren and Stimpy article.

If a 10th of it is true then why on earth has he been able to get away with it for so long/why only cut ties with him now.

Because companies are interested in profits, while it was financially favourable then there really was no reason to care about things like this.  It's only the public attitude and media exposure that now means these things might at some point have a financial impact such that companies are 'caring'.

This goes for all unethical behaviour legal or otherwise within business-sexual or not. Profit is the driving decision maker, nothing more or less.  Large businesses behave reprehensible all the time.

• Upvote 5

Well that's tainted the shit out of that show.

I'm not sure where exactly people stand on still buying content these people have produced. There's still people buying Michael Jackson albums, Spacey films etc... Do we just erase the films and music from history because the creators were fucked up?

Wasn’t that whole massive post prior to yours full of posts explaining how much of the show was nothing to do with John K?

I watched Baby Driver the other day, for the first time since all of the revelations. Spacey is great in it. He’s still a massive fucking dick in real life, but the film is great and so is his performance. Personally I don’t have an issue separating the two things, but I can understand how somebody more closely affected by his cuntishness could struggle. 

• Upvote 3

Rosemary's Baby is still one of my top 5 films regardless of Polanski being, well ... a monster.  But I watched The Tenant recently and I found it a difficult experience because in the back of my mind throughout was how much of a cunt he is.  Perhaps different because he's the lead in it, or perhaps different because I watched Rosemary before I was aware of what he had done.  

• Upvote 2

Molly Ringwald has just written an amazing piece looking back over her career during the 80's here https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/what-about-the-breakfast-club-molly-ringwald-metoo-john-hughes-pretty-in-pink

Spoiler for those concerned, she's not revealing any awful Harvey Weinstein reveals in this. Rather it's a look at the positives and negatives of working with John Hughes, their movies and their place within the cultural context of the period and...well she says it better herself.

How are we meant to feel about art that we both love and oppose? What if we are in the unusual position of having helped create it? Erasing history is a dangerous road when it comes to art—change is essential, but so, too, is remembering the past, in all of its transgression and barbarism, so that we may properly gauge how far we have come, and also how far we still need to go.

It's interesting reading about how awful John Hughes early writing was while at the same time how much it improved because when faced with criticism rather than doubling down seemed to at least listen to the experiences of women and change the content he produced as a result.

• Upvote 1