Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

4 hours ago, APM said:

Seriously, who the fuck refers to a vagina as it? How do I refer to a vagina? As a vagina. Dead fucking hard to do, that is. Can you not see how dehumanising it is to write "stuck his dick in it"? Jesus Christ, man. 

Your finger is an it, my arm is an it, his shoulder is and it and her head is an it. You can't possibly say the word can't be used with vagina. The entire universe is an it, along with everything that has ever existed and has yet to exist. 

"It's dehumanising." - I agree. To refer to a person like that is dehumanising. The problem is, I wasn't referring to a person. (And to those who are quick to jump up with "Yes you did! Liar!" - no, I'm afraid you don't get to tell me my own mind, but thanks for letting me know you think you're telepathic.)

7 hours ago, Talvalin said:

I think the problem is less with the use of the word "dick" and more that your phrasing is referring to Mia Farrow as "it". You might want to try avoiding that in future if you wish to avoid giving a bad impression.

I didn't refer to Mia, I was talking body parts, that's why I said "dick". If outrage addicts took it as meaning a person then there's nothing I can do about that. I think it's a pretty sick that some people chose to read it that way.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

Isn't Futureshock one of the alt-right infesting this board as a supposed lefty? I mean, he'll probably post some 'waaaah' defence that his hate against sexually harassed victims and women in general has been taken out of context, but I'm surprised to see a mod defend him.

3 hours ago, APM said:

Who's defending him?

That would have been me, but looking the responses following my original post, evidently I was mistaken in doing so.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, futureshock said:

Your finger is an it, my arm is an it, his shoulder is and it and her head is an it. You can't possibly say the word can't be used with vagina. The entire universe is an it, along with everything that has ever existed and has yet to exist. 

"It's dehumanising." - I agree. To refer to a person like that is dehumanising. The problem is, I wasn't referring to a person. (And to those who are quick to jump up with "Yes you did! Liar!" - no, I'm afraid you don't get to tell me my own mind, but thanks for letting me know you think you're telepathic.)

I didn't refer to Mia, I was talking body parts, that's why I said "dick". If outrage addicts took it as meaning a person then there's nothing I can do about that. I think it's a pretty sick that some people chose to read it that way.

Oh my god. You're stupider than I first suspected.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, APM said:

Oh my god. You're stupider than I first suspected.

Then I'm in good company, with everybody else seemingly being totally fine with the whole "What, you're fucking my 21yr old daughter? Police! He molested my 7yr old daughter!" timeline against a man with no other public allegations of sexual misconduct against him.

1 hour ago, futureshock said:

Then I'm in good company, with everybody else seemingly being totally fine with the whole "What, you're fucking my 21yr old daughter? Police! He molested my 7yr old daughter!" timeline against a man with no other public allegations of sexual misconduct against him.

Dylan maintains the claims.

It goes on for more tweets reiterating her claim.

And back to Harvey for a moment.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/99885932/sir-peter-jackson-breaks-silence-on-harvey-weinstein

Two Hollywood actresses have thanked Sir Peter Jackson for speaking out about Harvey Weinstein and his brother, saying they orchestrated a smear campaign that led to him blacklisting them both.

Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino were responding on Twitter to a Stuff story in which Jackson spoke of the blacklist as a result of the actions of accused sexual predator Weinstein and his brother Bob, describing the pair as "second-rate Mafia bullies".

Judd and Sorvino have both publicly claimed Weinstein sexual harassed them, and they both missed out on roles in Jackson's Lord of the Rings films because of what the brothers had said about them.

Judd recalled how she was shown "everything" about the films and was even asked which role she preferred – then never heard from Jackson or his wife Fran again.

Peter & Fran had me in - showed me all the creative, the boards, costumes, everything. They asked which [of] the two roles I preferred, and then I abruptly never heard from [them] again. I appreciate the truth coming out. Thank you, Peter," Judd wrote.

Speaking to Stuff for the first time since multiple sexual assault allegations emerged against Weinstein, Jackson said he had "no direct experience or knowledge of the sexual allegations" against the Hollywood powerbroker, but had earlier made a conscious decision to never work with him again.

Weinstein and Jackson crossed paths in the late 1990s when Jackson was pitching his early plans for The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings films to the Weinstein-led studio Miramax. 

"I recall Miramax telling us they were a nightmare to work with and we should avoid them at all costs. This was probably in 1998," Jackson said.

"At the time, we had no reason to question what these guys were telling us - but in hindsight, I realise that this was very likely the Miramax smear campaign in full swing.  

"I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women - and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list."

Jackson said Weinstein and his brother, Bob, were both particularly difficult to work with.

• Upvote 1

@futureshock clearly has a serious issue with admitting he's wrong, about anything.

It's a really human trait, but be brave mate, learn to suck it up and admit you're wrong sometimes rather than act like a threatened animal and constantly double down until you're defending something so indefensible you become a laughing stock.

• Upvote 7

I thought we had rules on this forum about sexism? So why isn't futureshock banned? I'd assume if he called a black person "it" that would be unacceptable, so why is it acceptable to call a woman or her body parts "it"?

Surely the very definition of objectification is to refer to a woman in terms of her body parts, and as an object for sexual use rather than a person?

Even sky suspended and then sacked one of the football presenters @beenabadbunny quoted above for sexism. And surely we can uphold higher standards here/now than seven years ago on sky?

And doesn't all the casting blame/doubt onto Mia Farrow and Dylan fall under 2.3j?

19 hours ago, futureshock said:

Did you mean oeuvre? I'm not sure this is the thread for analysing his library of work. Some of the people in here thought Ghostbusters 3 was good.

I'm defending the facts of the matter after the same old Vanity Fair article was regurgitated. And besides, it's an interesting story on the whole - for example, Mia Farrow was 18 or 19 when she lost her virginity to Frank Sinatra, who was nearly 50.

Referring to the people.

19 hours ago, futureshock said:

Well, to be accurate, Woody asked if she wanted to go to Paris and got politely turned down, while Frank actually stuck his dick in it. I'm not sure saying they're both (equal) creeps properly describes the situation, but sure, knock yourself out.

The man, the man. (First name terms of course...).

It - The Woman.

Backtrack, backtrack, backtrack "I was talking about her vagina."

No you weren't, we all know it including you. 

Even still in a discussion about potential powerful men abusing women don't you think you should choose your words more carefully? How many other ways could you have said what you did above without causing offence or referring to a woman as it?

A simple "had sex with her", would have sufficed. Or Mia lost her virginity to... or umpteem other ways, but you decided to go for IT, stuck his dick in it, like he put it in a melon rather than a girl 30 years his younger. 

• Upvote 9

Also I've noticed a lot of the talk about Dylan's story being false seems to centre on Mia's motivations or behaviours. Including behaviour before Dylan was born.

It's essentially the sins of the mother having to be borne by the child.

"Sorry Dylan, we can't take your case seriously because apparently your mother slept with some Hollywood bigwig when she was 18. Which makes her concern about her ex partner marrying one of their adopted children null and void because...hypocrisy? And yeah, we are totally going to pretend both situations are comparable and somehow cancel each other out. Yeah, that's what we'll go with."

• Upvote 7
5 hours ago, geekette said:

I thought we had rules on this forum about sexism? So why isn't futureshock banned? I'd assume if he called a black person "it" that would be unacceptable, so why is it acceptable to call a woman or her body parts "it"?

Surely the very definition of objectification is to refer to a woman in terms of her body parts, and as an object for sexual use rather than a person?

Even sky suspended and then sacked one of the football presenters @beenabadbunny quoted above for sexism. And surely we can uphold higher standards here/now than seven years ago on sky?

And doesn't all the casting blame/doubt onto Mia Farrow and Dylan fall under 2.3j?

Give us chance. We're like British Rail. We get there in the end. 

• Upvote 5

To follow on from Peter Jackson's story

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/bad-santa-mira-sorvino-weinstein/

After Peter Jackson revealed yesterday that Bob and Harvey Weinstein steered him away from casting actresses Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd in Lord Of The Rings, another director has come forward with a story about similar blacklisting tactics from the brothers.

Terry Zwigoff, who made the 2003 film Bad Santa, said overnight that he was potentially looking to cast Sorvino in a key role, but that he was prevented from doing so by the Weinsteins, who were then in charge of production house Miramax.

The director took to Twitter to apologise to the actress, saying:

“I was interested in casting Mira Sorvino in Bad Santa, but every time I mentioned her over the phone to the Weinsteins, I’d hear a CLICK. What type of person just hangs up on you like that?! I guess we all know what type of person now. I’m really sorry Mira.”

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest #metoo

Dan Harmon.

http://amp.timeinc.net/time/5086014/dan-harmon-community-writer-megan-ganz-harassment

Basically allegations of workplace bullying (which he completely admits in the exchange.)

Edit

ormer Community writer Megan Ganz has called out Dan Harmon, the creator of the NBC sitcom as well as popular animated series Rick and Morty, for acting inappropriately toward her during her time working on the show.

Ganz took to Twitter on Tuesday to ask Harmon to be more specific about his reasons for dubbing 2017 “the Year of the Asshole,” prompting an online conversation between the two that addressed Harmon’s alleged actions. Ganz left Community after its fourth season to write for Modern Family.

Harmon began by apologizing for his conduct and asking if there was any way to remedy the situation. “I’m filled with regret and a lot of foggy memories about abusing my position, treating you like garbage,” he wrote. “I would feel a lot of relief if you told me there was a way to fix it. I’ll let you call the shots. Til then, at least know I know I was an awful boss and a selfish baby.”

Ganz responded that there was no easy fix to the problem. “I wish my memories were foggier. I wish there was a way to fix it,” she replied. “It took me years to believe in my talents again, to trust a boss when he complimented me and not cringe when he asked for my number. I was afraid to be enthusiastic, knowing it might be turned against me later. You want relief? So do I. I want to watch the first episode of television I wrote again without remembering what came after. Figure out how to give me that relief and I’ll return the favor.”

The dialogue continued with Ganz offering Harmon some advice for not repeating his mistakes in the future. “It’s good to recognize power dynamics, but it’s also good to recognize you’re no different from those you employ. You’re not a king on a hilltop, nor a beast in a labyrinth,” she wrote.

• Upvote 1

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/01/06/x-men-director-bryan-singer-removed-as-legion-executive-producer

Bryan Singer will no longer serve as executive producer of the X-Men spinoff series Legion.

After the Legion panel at the Television Critics Association press tour, series creator Noah Hawley told Deadline, "Bryan asked to take his name off the show, so we have done that." FX confirmed to TheWrap that Singer's name has been removed from Legion ahead of the Season 2 premiere.

According to Deadline's sources, Singer reached out to the network to have his name removed in light of allegations of sexual misconduct against the X-Men director.

Dear Dylan,

Hello. I apologize for this being the first time I address you in print, what will be the first of several apologies today. I am writing to express my belief in and support of you.

I confess that at the time I worked for Woody Allen I was a naive young actress. I swallowed the media’s portrayal of your abuse allegations against your father as an outgrowth of a twisted custody battle between Mia Farrow and him, and did not look further into the situation, for which I am terribly sorry. For this I also owe an apology to Mia.

What I have to say next is not a justification, simply a description of my background with Woody at that time and since. As an adolescent, I cherished my copy of his book “Without Feathers.” I played the Diane Keaton role in a high school production of “Play It Again, Sam” and had grown up, like so many in my generation, in awe of his films. As a young actress I landed the dream role of Linda Ash in “Mighty Aphrodite,” and the artistic license he allowed me to create the character was thrilling. We were friendly though not close, but in no way did he ever overstep his bounds with me; I never personally experienced what has now been described as inappropriate behavior toward young girls. But this does not excuse my turning a blind eye to your story simply because I wanted desperately for it not to be so.

It is difficult to sever ties and denounce your heroes, your benefactors, whom you fondly admired and felt a debt of gratitude toward for your entire career’s existence. To decide, although they may be fantastically talented and helped you enormously, that you believe they have done things for which there can be no excuse. But that is where we stand today.

In December I called your brother Ronan, sharing about the aftermath of my and other women’s coming forward about Harvey Weinstein. How it had been a sometimes empowering, sometimes bitter and heartbreaking experience, as more and more details came out of hidden damage this man had done me. Of how I felt somehow more vulnerable and triggered (though certainly grateful) when millions of people showed me their support online, as though now my life had been reduced to one victimization... I told him I wanted to learn more about you and your situation. He pointed me toward publicly available details of the case I had ruefully never known of, which made me begin to feel the evidence strongly supported your story. That you have been telling the truth all along.

I am so sorry, Dylan! I cannot begin to imagine how you have felt, all these years as you watched someone you called out as having hurt you as a child, a vulnerable little girl in his care, be lauded again and again, including by me and countless others in Hollywood who praised him and ignored you. As a mother and a woman, this breaks my heart for you. I am so, so sorry!

We are in a day and age when everything must be re-examined. This kind of abuse cannot be allowed to continue. If this means tearing down all the old gods, so be it. The cognitive dissonance, the denial and cowardice that spare us painful truths and prevent us from acting in defense of innocent victims while allowing “beloved” individuals to continue their heinous behavior must be jettisoned from the bottom of our souls. Even if you love someone, if you learn they may have committed these despicable acts, they must be exposed and condemned, and this exposure must have consequences. I will never work with him again.

I am sorry it has taken me a few weeks to come out in support of you since that conversation, but it has been a process for me to own this truth and make this irrevocable break.

I send you love and inclusion and admiration for your courage all this time. I believe you!!! I am grateful to you and admire your integrity and bravery, one woman who has had to stand virtually alone all these years speaking her painful truth. You are a true hero, and I stand with you.

In gratitude and solidarity,

Mira Sorvino

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mira-sorvino-letter-dylan-farrow_us_5a56b660e4b08a1f624b47e0?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Franco saying the claims are "not accurate" is not really denying them, is it?  Tbh, it's not a surprise though is it? What with him trying to get a 16yr old from Greenock to send him nudes or whatever it was, a few years ago.

I know, right? It's like no-one remembers that. He was 34 and she was 17.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597020/Im-embarrassed-social-media-tricky-James-Franco-cops-bad-judgment-hitting-17-year-old-Instagram.html

• Upvote 1

But he's wearing that pin and everything!

Anyway....

....Dan Harmon made a very public apology and explanation today on Harmontown. And by explanation I mean he takes full responsibility and goes into detail about how he transgressed boundaries at every step of the way resulting in harming one of his writers deeply (and everyone in the general vicinity leading to his firing from Community as showrunner.)

https://player.fm/series/harmontown/dont-let-him-wipe-or-flush

Fast forward to 18:40. It's seven minutes long and it's uncomfortable listening. It's probably the current golden standard in holding himself accountable making it very clear what he did wrong and not making excuses for it. If nothing else it makes clear to everyone in the industry without any doubt that he was to blame and that the person he wronged acted with integrity at every step of the way.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Franco saying the claims are "not accurate" is not really denying them, is it?  Tbh, it's not a surprise though is it? What with him trying to get a 16yr old from Greenock to send him nudes or whatever it was, a few years ago.

Should have taken some tips in denial from his mate Tommy.

I did not assault her, it's not true! It's bullshit! I did not assault her! I did not! Oh hi, Stephen. 

• Upvote 3