rllmuk
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

Has Kerraig got a neg stalker? Really don’t see how anyone could disagree with object with/disagree with his posts. 

Aaanyway, his current wife is a friend of a friend who i used to know about 15 years ago. She always seems relatively sane but marrying HW is batshit crazy. Another friend was with a group in a restaurant in Ibiza and they were forced to leave by HW and crew as they needed the table. Imagine thinking you’re so important that others should just leave a restaurant to make way. I always thought it might be some kind of mummy issues thing that’s driven him to be as he is.. naming of Miramax etc. 

• Upvote 1

Loads more updates here at http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/more-allegations-including-rape-emerge-as-harvey-weinstein-scandal-deepens-20171010-gyybqo.html

Content warning obv. From the URL. TLDR version he’s done. His career is over, his marriage is over and he’ll be lucky if he gets away with living alone in involuntary retirement.

How has this been allowed to go on for so long? Rose McGowan is right. If they had any sense of shame the rest of the board would resign as well.

More here

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/rose-mcgowan-wants-the-entire-weinstein-co-board-to-resign.html

She’s right. This is similar to the Catholic Church scandals in that the abusers were empowered by men who did not stop them abusing their power. Or who covered it up. Or who silenced victims.

Enough is enough. There needs to be a big fucking broom going through every structure like this. Perpetrators too talented to fire? Bullshit. I reckon there’s dozens of men and women out there who could match people like this without being an (alleged) walking HR disaster.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

How has this been allowed to go on for so long?

I'd imagine it's because he was making money for people and the allegations were allowed to surface as he wasn't being as successful as he once was.

People (who must have at least heard rumours) are only now turning on him as he's toxic and damaging people/brands through association. 

I wonder if Hollywood will be less willing to work with people like Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Bryan Singer etc now in fear of those ships sinking also ?

• Upvote 1

Hollywood isnt the all powerful cultural behemoth it once was. But i wouldnt be surprised if in 20 years time we find out this shit was going down in silicon valley right now.

Hollywood will only grow up if it hits them in the wallet. You only have to look back 5 years to see shows like Entourage to see how tone deaf L.A. is. Its a spectacularly sleazy place.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, Stevie said:

That was quick

What a horrible person. Harasses a young woman and his biggest fear is "please dont leave you will embarrass me".

I had to start skipping through that. It's horrible.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Ste_S said:

I'd imagine it's because he was making money for people and the allegations were allowed to surface as he wasn't being as successful as he once was.

People (who must have at least heard rumours) are only now turning on him as he's toxic and damaging people/brands through association. 

I wonder if Hollywood will be less willing to work with people like Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Bryan Singer etc now in fear of those ships sinking also ?

old-biff-tannen.jpg

4 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I had to start skipping through that. It's horrible.

Imagine you're married to that. Or he's your dad. And then you hear this. I'd never want to see him again. It's so disgusting.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, spacedinvader said:

Aaanyway, his current wife is a friend of a friend who i used to know about 15 years ago. She always seems relatively sane but marrying HW is batshit crazy.

1 minute ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

It's a good thing Georgina Chapman will get a hefty divorce settlement as nobody will be forced to buy her dresses every awards season now.

ouch.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Stevie said:

What a horrible person. Harasses a young woman and his biggest fear is "please dont leave you will embarrass me".

Fucking hell. :(

• Upvote 1

I wonder if more audio or video will leak. Perhaps the existence of this recording is the answer to 'why now?'.

I hope he's being watched very carefully right now. This guy was so powerful, with such an ego, he always thought he was right and he always assumed he had a right to be a predator toward women. Now he's been sacked from his job, the industry he built his formidable reputation in has (rightly) turned on him, multiple respected female actors and a former president have publicly spoken out and now his wife has left him.

He's a broken man with no future, and it's all unravelled in a matter of days. With those elements in play, you have to wonder if he's not going to do something pretty stupid, leaving his victims without any justice. 

I must admit, it annoys me a bit all these famous ladies now coming forward and saying that he's a scumbag and he did inappropriate things to them.  It is not like Jolie has had any shortage microphones in which she could have called out this behavior before now, ditto for Paltrow.  

I've not followed this story too much, just read the links above.  It seems likely that his behaviour was an open secret in Hollywood although that doesn't really make it any better.  And, in fairness, to Jolie and Paltrow I assume they felt they did not have any evidence in which to support their stories.  Still, would have been nicer to see them taking a stand prior to the allegations coming out in public from a different source. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

Just now, lordcookie said:

Or, on the flip side, it shows how toxic Hollywood is that despite their stature they still didn't feel able to speak out until others had made a stand.

Of course.  And it doesn't really feel right to be annoyed at them but if anyone had the capacity and financial fire power to make a stand then Jolie would surely be one of the top contenders.  It just seems pretty shit that this seems to have been an open secret in Hollywood and I imagine the media will be next in the spotlight since some people in the entertainment media must have been aware of the allegations and chose not to pursue a story. 

5 minutes ago, Charles said:

I must admit, it annoys me a bit all these famous ladies now coming forward and saying that he's a scumbag and he did inappropriate things to them.  It is not like Jolie has had any shortage microphones in which she could have called out this behavior before now, ditto for Paltrow.  

I've not followed this story too much, just read the links above.  It seems likely that his behaviour was an open secret in Hollywood although that doesn't really make it any better.  And, in fairness, to Jolie and Paltrow I assume they felt they did not have any evidence in which to support their stories.  Still, would have been nicer to see them taking a stand prior to the allegations coming out in public from a different source. 

Don't victim blame. Hollywood is a pack of Jaguars and it is a terrifying jungle for a professional woman to navigate at the best of times. Harvey Weinstein was an incredibly powerful man who actively seemed to enjoy ruining careers.

• Upvote 9

11 minutes ago, Charles said:

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Try to keep up @Charles

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

Don't victim blame. Hollywood is a pack of Jaguars and it is a terrifying jungle for a professional woman to navigate at the best of times. Harvey Weinstein was an incredibly powerful man who actively seemed to enjoy ruining careers.

I'm really not trying to victim blame, but also prioritising your career rather than take action to prevent him from abusing other women seems a bit off to me too.  Weinstein may have been powerful but Jolie was for many years married to Pitt so it is not exactly like she didn't have the clout to take this on years ago.  If you are incredibly rich and powerful and know that a man in your industry is abusing women and you choose not to come forward then that's not on in my book. People in privileged possessions I think have a duty to do something about a person if they know they are, or likely are, abusing other people. 

This is not about Jolie really, I get the feeling that it will come to light that this was an open secret in Hollywood and that many people, both women and men, knew or had heard plausible information that this stuff was going on and they all chose to stay silent.  It's a bit like Saville isn't it in that it seems that many people knew all about it and yet chose not to do anything about it.  Indeed, this could well be the US' Saville's moment and is probably the tip of the iceberg. 

• Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

These actresses could not come forward sooner because they would've been buried.They're not going up against an individual, they're going up against an institution where the abusers have all the power. This has obviously snowballed to the point where there is evidence and an appetite among the media to finally go after the guy. 

There was a great tweet which I'll have to paraphrase.  "He wasn't fired because Hollywood found out about it.  He was fired because the public did."

• Upvote 8

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Try to keep up @Charles

Making an offhand joke isn't quite the same as Macfarlane coming out and saying that he's pretty sure that Weinstein is a serial abuser of women.  Fair play to Macfarlane for at least raising the issue but if he actually thought that this shit was going on he should have gone to the Police rather than to make a joke about it.  And frankly, making jokes about it almost legitimises the behavior by making it acceptable since he makes a joke, everyone laughs but nothing happens so it must all be alright and nothing really wrong. What kind of message did that joke really send to women who had been abused by Weinstein, that it is alright and is just what happens in Hollywood in order to get a nomination?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

These actresses could not come forward sooner because they would've been buried.They're not going up against an individual, they're going up against an institution where the abusers have all the power. This has obviously snowballed to the point where there is evidence and an appetite among the media to finally go after the guy. 

I really do not know who knew what and when they knew it.  But currently Macfarlane has a net worth of around $250m, Jolie around $160m.  How rich do you have to be before you say I am going to come forward and make these allegations public even if it means I never work in Hollywood again.  

And it is really not about the actresses coming forwards, it does not seem that this was a secret so where were all the powerful men who knew about this stuff?  They should all have done something about it.  I refuse to believe that while this was an open secret among women in Hollywood that men in Hollywood were also not aware of it. 

What we have is a group of very rich, very powerful people being aware that it is likely that someone they know is an abuser and fairly likely a rapist and they choose to do nothing, even whilst knowing that this behaviour was still going on. I'm reluctant to give them a pass just because it seems this guy might have been powerful in the industry when we're also talking about people themselves who are incredibly powerful in the industry in their own right. 

Bradley Pitts confirmed that he had confronted Weinstein about the incident with Gwynwth Paltrow when they were together and he's obviously married to Angelina Jolie.

So he knew, and being one of the most powerful men in Hollywood could easily have done something about it without having his career destroyed. From the various reports it does seem to be an open secret so there's a lot of blame to go around in the powerful men of hollywoo for not outing this soner.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Charles said:

I really do not know who knew what and when they knew it.  But currently Macfarlane has a net worth of around $250m, Jolie around $160m.  How rich do you have to be before you say I am going to come forward and make these allegations public even if it means I never work in Hollywood again.  

And it is really not about the actresses coming forwards, it does not seem that this was a secret so where were all the powerful men who knew about this stuff?  They should all have done something about it.  I refuse to believe that while this was an open secret among women in Hollywood that men in Hollywood were also not aware of it. 

What we have is a group of very rich, very powerful people being aware that it is likely that someone they know is an abuser and fairly likely a rapist and they choose to do nothing, even whilst knowing that this behaviour was still going on. I'm reluctant to give them a pass just because it seems this guy might have been powerful in the industry when we're also talking about people themselves who are incredibly powerful in the industry in their own right. 

but you're not victim-blaming. Right?