rllmuk
kerraig UK

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

That article says that he admitted a lot of his behaviour was awful, and that he knows he mistreated a lot of people. I'm not sure I understand how someone 'has it in for him' :unsure:

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, NickC said:

That article says that he admitted a lot of his behaviour was awful, and that he knows he mistreated a lot of people. I'm not sure I understand how someone 'has it in for him' :unsure:

In the past couple of weeks he has hired a crack team of lawyers and PR people as he was tipped off that he was about to be rumbled. The admissions of wrong doing are some kind of Max Clifford style damage limitation. 

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/harvey-weinstein-sexual-new-york-times-1202580605/

The 'someone has it in for him' is in relation to why this is all coming out now. His behaviour has been notorious for at least 20 years. There are no new allegations. Someone has gone and dragged up history. From observation it looks like a pretty big investigation from the NYT. But why now?

• Upvote 1

Got a mention in this week’s popbitch:

>> Harvey all banger <<

Harder to the rescue again 

Rumblings from across the pond suggest that movie supremo Harvey Weinstein is about to attract some rather unfavourable attention, as the New York Times has some 'bombshell' stories lined up about his sexual behaviour. 

Harvey doesn't appear to be taking any chances with this and has already retained America's media lawyer of the moment, Charles Harder. Harder represented Hulk Hogan in his case against Gawker, Melania Trump in her case against the Daily Mail, and (perhaps most usefully for Harvey) Fox News's Roger Ailes – a man who sexually assaulted so many people it practically killed him. 

It's a well-known adage in Hollywood that young starlets in Weinstein Productions "don't go through Harvey; Harvey goes through them" – but what we're most interested in is the detail that some of the women prepared to speak out about this are doing so on record. 

In particular, we wonder if anyone's put their name to the old story of the famous actress who was a big enough name to be able to refuse to shag Weinstein for a part, but still had to endure Weinstein tugging himself off onto her leg as a compromise?  

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

I think the article’s pretty clear about “why now”, i.e. a great deal of new issues coming forward. 

Yeah, because of journalists digging. There are no new accusations.

Feels weird to me. Like there's something personal behind it all.

Coincidentally he is currently suing a mate of mine

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

An anecdote. Not sexual, just arseholual

As a freelance producer I was tasked with creating a montage for the wrap party of My Week with Marilyn out of the rushes. During the edit he said to one of his three 6'3" blonde prom queen assistants "Get me a sandwich". 

She responded, terrified "meat, vegetarian or fish?"

"A fucking SANDWICH!"

She came back with fifteen sandwiches.

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Feels weird to me. Like there's something personal behind it all.

Is it that you know what is behind it all but can't say; or is it that you really don't know what is behind it all? I can't tell from your posts...

https://www.thecut.com/2017/10/why-the-weinstein-sexual-harassment-allegations-came-out-now.html

Here's a good piece on why it came out now

After Weinstein failed to respond to my calls for comment, I was sent, on Election Eve 2000, to cover a book party he was hosting, along with my colleague Andrew Goldman. Weinstein didn’t like my question about O, there was an altercation; though the recording has alas been lost to time, I recall that he called me a cunt and declared that he was glad he was the “fucking sheriff of this fucking lawless piece-of-shit town.” When my colleague Andrew (who was also then my boyfriend) intervened, first calming him down and then trying to extract an apology, Weinstein went nuclear, pushing Andrew down a set of steps inside the Tribeca Grand — knocking him over with such force that his tape recorder hit a woman, who suffered long-term injury — and dragging Andrew, in a headlock, onto Sixth Avenue

Such was the power of Harvey Weinstein in 2000 that despite the dozens of camera flashes that went off on that sidewalk that night, capturing the sight of an enormously famous film executive trying to pound in the head of a young newspaper reporter, I have never once seen a photo. Back then, Harvey could spin — or suppress — anything; there were so many journalists on his payroll, working as consultants on movie projects, or as screenwriters, or for his magazine.

I saw Harvey Weinstein earlier this year, at a Planned Parenthood celebration. I was struck by the fact that he was there. But I was also struck by his physical diminishment; he seemed small and frail, and, when I caught sight of him in May, he appeared to be walking with a cane. He has also lost power in the movie industry, is no longer the titan of independent film, the indie mogul who could make or break an actor’s Oscar chances.

• Upvote 2

As an 18 year old doing work experience in a top London production company, I remember producers were openly talking about Brian Singer always having different teenage boys in his trailers. It was basically an open secret that he was grooming wannabe actors who in most cases were still children for sex. At the time I just was like OMG i'm in on the goss!!! Weird how you just accept stuff and don't question things at all at that age.

So he's been sacked now, looks like another revelation is coming to light soon. 

I didn't know a lot about him before, but reading up he sounds like a thoroughly awful person. 

• Upvote 1

I was in the middle of reading Peter Biskind's book on the rise of indies in the 90s when all this came out. He make sit fairly obvious that Harvey Weinstein  is a horrific excuse for a human being who litigates anyone who tries to expose his behavior into oblivion. Plenty of tales from ex-staffers about his anger issues, but only hints about darker stuff like this, presumably because the author was scared of being sued back to the stone age.

Sounds like the kind of story that will make a good movie. Must have made enough enemies in his career that there is plenty of material to work with, once the fear of litigation passes.

2 hours ago, BossSaru said:

Sounds like the kind of story that will make a good movie. Must have made enough enemies in his career that there is plenty of material to work with, once the fear of litigation passes.

Jeff from Curb Your Enthusiasm sat by his phone waiting for his agent to call.

• Upvote 6

Ahahahahahahaha. Supposedly he sent this to a bunch of Hollywood power players.

DLuQOsGUIAAgVqM.jpg

I'm getting help. But I didn't do the things they said, understand. But I'm getting help for those things I didn’t do do. I just want you to understand that I'm innocent and also really sorry and getting help for the things I'm innocent of. K thx bye.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Ahahahahahahaha. Supposedly he sent this to a bunch of Hollywood power players.

DLuQOsGUIAAgVqM.jpg

I'm getting help. But I didn't do the things they said, understand. But I'm getting help for those things I didn’t do do. I just want you to understand that I'm innocent and also really sorry and getting help for the things I'm innocent of. K thx bye.

f68e19b0b65135866d941c87bf53a318.jpg

• Upvote 3