Benny

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2017

I have absolute power. I can rearrange in the spreadsheet people's most overrated and hated games in the top 10 at will.

Didn't think an Assassin's Creed would get into the top 10? Think again

• Upvote 2

Incidentally, now is the time for you all to start fevered top 10 speculation. You did it all last time and I want to chuckle to myself as you make assumptions.

I just don't get Half-Life 2, or maybe it doesn't get me.

I have a weird relationship with those games. The first one was absolutely gobsmacking, so many unforgettable moments, until I got to Xen and it completely changed. Just seemed to stop being fun, I never finished it but watched the ending as my mate played it. HL2, which I played a few years ago, was a perfectly fun FPS but it just seemed totally bland. Widening out the world completely diluted all that tension that Black Mesa as a location built so brilliantly. Also got near the end and never finished it, but more out of boredom than tonal whiplash. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, NEG said:

We haven't seen Undertale on the list either, which is honestly just depressing.

Ah man, I genuinely loved Undertale, didn’t cross my mind when picking my list. Will Defo be in my top 20 2022 list

33 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Ah man, I genuinely loved Undertale, didn’t cross my mind when picking my list. Will Defo be in my top 20 2022 list

For me it sits at 202023

• Upvote 1

Definite missing some older classics; defender, joust, galaga for example are all still easily top 100 games. Shmups are under represented, no Radiant Silvergun, fantasy zone or ikaruga? And definite classics from unpopular systems are missing; Panzer Dragoon Saga, Sega Rally, guardian heroes, burning rangers, Saturn bomberman! Did they get any votes? And of course you find these lists are heavily weighted towards current gen games as they are the ones most recent in peoples memories.

8 hours ago, joeplus said:

I just don't get Half-Life 2, or maybe it doesn't get me.

I have a weird relationship with those games. The first one was absolutely gobsmacking, so many unforgettable moments, until I got to Xen and it completely changed. Just seemed to stop being fun, I never finished it but watched the ending as my mate played it. HL2, which I played a few years ago, was a perfectly fun FPS but it just seemed totally bland. Widening out the world completely diluted all that tension that Black Mesa as a location built so brilliantly. Also got near the end and never finished it, but more out of boredom than tonal whiplash. 

You're not alone. I agree about Xen, but as it's only about 3% of actual game time I can forgive it. But HL>>>> HL2.

HL2 only gets really good after Nova Prospekt. Especially the last bit where you're gravity gun gets upgraded to work on grunts. Still, it's no HL.

Where s Bubble Bobble?! Robotron made it in and not Bubble Bobble? Go buy it on Arcade Classics, learn the power-up system and try playing score attack. It's still incredibly addictive and... my 7yo wouldn't have believed this... better than Rainbow Islands.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

You're not alone. I agree about Xen, but as it's only about 3% of actual game time I can forgive it. But HL>>>> HL2.

HL2 only gets really good after Nova Prospekt. Especially the last bit where you're gravity gun gets upgraded to work on grunts. Still, it's no HL.

Where s Bubble Bobble?! Robotron made it in and not Bubble Bobble? Go buy it on Arcade Classics, learn the power-up system and try playing score attack. It's still incredibly addictive and... my 7yo wouldn't have believed this... better than Rainbow Islands.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person out there who loves HL2 but can't stand HL.

HL for all it's innovation and ambition just does so many things that rub me up the wrong way. Breakable sequence puzzles where you don't realise you can't progress in the game until after an hour of aimless wandering around. Trial and error scripted set pieces. T junctions where going the "wrong" way leads you into automated guns that shave off half your health. Stu Campbell in one of the few times I've agreed with him described it as a 3D Rick Dangerous.

Half Life 2 does all the good bits of Half Life while adding suberb environmental puzzles, a more physical game world (just moving in HL one feels like I'm pushing a block of polystyrene over ice) and sandboxy combat.

12 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

We haven't had Alien:Isolation or a Hitman yet, have we? Surely at least one of those must have made it in...

Hmm, I’ve done some calculations (well, I say calculations, I mean I scribbled some games down on a scrap of paper) and I think there’s only one spot up for grabs in the top 10 once all the usual suspects are accounted for. And I’ve just realised Arkham City was at a lowly number 84. I think rllmuk must be broken.

Edit: Bollocks, I’d forgotten Halo (because that’s all it deserves). That’s that then!

Nice Bloodborne write-up. What a game. Wish it would have made top ten, but it's probably one of the highest modern games on the list, so I can live with it.

Dark Souls number one then? :)

• Upvote 1

Hey, I voted for Hitman: Blood Money so I did my part! I would be very sad indeed with no Hitman at all.

And no Thief.

And no Tenchu. Damn you, 'muk!

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Dark Souls number one then? :)

Yes! :D That would mean all is forgiven, Dark Souls deserves no less. I knew the forum wouldn't let me down!

Predictions for top 10:

1. BoTW

2. Dark Souls

3. Resident Evil 4

4. Last of Us

5. Mario 64

6. Super Mario World

7. Halo:CE

8. Link to the Past

9.  Super Mario Galaxy 

10.  Mario Kart 8

Though some of them may have already featured on the list already, I can't remember.

• Empathy 1

From the vote thread:

On 03/10/2017 at 18:00, Qazimod said:

I think last time I was expecting RE4, DS1 and Ocarina to make up the top three, but DS1 came in at nine so what do I know.

This year's top three will definitely be RE4, DS1 and Breath though. One game I haven't played and two I barely started. :blush:

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

Nice Bloodborne write-up. What a game. Wish it would have made top ten

It probably would have with just one more vote. That's how close it was to the next game.

Edit: 17 months spent playing Overwatch was bad for my mental health. I attempted to convey this in a self-deprecating way. The forum's feedback has shown me the error of my ways and regardless of any offence caused I regret and apologise for expressing my sentiments as I chose to below. The crown of ignorance and insensitivity will be heavy on my head.

It's good to see that Overwatch didn't make the cut. The Harvey Weinstein of gaming, no matter how successful it is, we all have tales of how it abused us and it's time it was held to account. We were brainwashed into thinking its behaviour was acceptable. No more.

#MeiToo

• Downvote 11
  • Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

It's good to see that Overwatch didn't make the cut. The Harvey Weinstein of gaming, no matter how successful it is, we all have tales of how it abused us and it's time it was held to account. We were brainwashed into thinking its behaviour was acceptable. No more.

#MeToo

Fuck off with that shit. It's not clever or funny using that tag for a joke post.

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Guessing my #1 Yakuza 4 vote was wasted. Wish I'd voted for Yak0 in hindsight. 

It's not a waste if you genuinely preferred it to 4. Surely it would be worse if you have voted tactically rather than with your preferences?

4 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

#MeToo

That's fucking horrible.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's not a waste if you genuinely preferred it to 4. Surely it would be worse if you have voted tactically rather than with your preferences?

Yeah if everyone voted tactically it would have made the list not a genuine reflection of the forum's favourite games.

25 minutes ago, DC LEMON said:

#MeToo

Check out James Corden over here!