IGNORED

Wii Shop Channel shuts down in 2019

simms

Not sure whether this has been covered in any topics.  Makes me a bit nervous of any Nintendo digital e-shop purchases especially the fact the redownload option will eventually cease to work. Dat eshop tune doh.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-29-wii-shop-channel-is-shutting-down-nintendo-has-announced

The Wii Shop Channel shuts down in 2019, Nintendo has announced.

Originally reported by Gematsu, the closure is set for 31st January 2019. After this date users will no longer be able to buy titles or applications from the channel for the Wii or Wii U.

From 27th March 2018, users can no longer add Wii Points to their account. Those who have already bought WiiWare or Virtual Console titles will still be able to re-download this content, as well as use the Wii System Transfer to move items from the Wii to the Wii U.

However, these services will shut down in the future. Though a date has not been confirmed for this, players will still own this content as long as it is not erased from the Wii or Wii U unit.

Wii U users can still download titles from the Nintendo eShop, but unfortunately it won't have the same bangin' theme tune.

Thankfully, all the brave young buccaneers have it all backed up. People will be able to play the Wiiware things as easily as loading up a Megadrive ROM. 

If you only download the games you bought in the past, your conscience will be clear. 

;-P

• 1 year later...

DIRE WARNING, TEAM!

You've THREE DAYS LEFT to spend the rest of your points and download all your games. After then, IT ALL GAWWWN.

Just been on my Wii U's Wii to have a look and I had 1800 points sitting there. Spent an hour decided what to spend them on (as I'll never play whatever I end up buying), and picked up Bonsai Barber and Arkanoid Plus.

Good times.

Thank goodness for this thread. If it hadn't been for it I'd have not checked and seen I've got 3500 points to spend!!

So, I already had Gradius remastered (I think it's great!) and a quick check confirms that  both Castlevania and Contra are worth grabbing too.

Anyone got any recommendations for some other Wiiware gems that I can blow the other 2000 or so points on?

Pretty much a fan of all genres but so please feel free to suggest away :).

I blew my last batch on Muscle March, that 3 games in one (Mako arcade or something?) and Me, You and the Cubes or whatever it’s called as it’s that D/D2 chap’s last game.

Quite fancied the remastered Konami games and the other art style games...oh well.

i tried to start a thing on Twitter for publishers to make their games free on the last day but I can’t see it taking off :) 

#finalThursdayfriiware

22 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

You Sir picked a winner!!

I swayed away from the two other rebirth games in the end. Granted they both get good reviews but Contra is by all accounts a bit short I've got better Castlevanias to yet play / replay. There's also absolute pile of superb metroidvanias out there now which are probably a good bit better too.  

So, after much deliberation I ended up grabbing Chrono Trigger and Paper Mario which left me with 1600 points. I was pretty torn between Hydroventure / And Yet It Moves but both had demos available for me to try and whilst AYIM was very nice to play (if a little dark / moody for my liking) Hydroventure was just really "nice" so it got grabbed!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention , I'd never heard of it before :).

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I dug out my Wii to find I had 1200 points left over from buying Super Metroid once. Then I remembered why I never spent them - I was always going to either have not enough or too much for what I wanted to get. Think I was waiting for a sale which never came.

I ended up with a couple of safe classics, Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, and 200 points left. That brings my Wii Virtual Console total games to, er, three. Farewell, Wii Shop Channel.

On 30/01/2019 at 20:29, womble9 said:

You Sir picked a winner!!

I swayed away from the two other rebirth games in the end. Granted they both get good reviews but Contra is by all accounts a bit short I've got better Castlevanias to yet play / replay. There's also absolute pile of superb metroidvanias out there now which are probably a good bit better too.  

So, after much deliberation I ended up grabbing Chrono Trigger and Paper Mario which left me with 1600 points. I was pretty torn between Hydroventure / And Yet It Moves but both had demos available for me to try and whilst AYIM was very nice to play (if a little dark / moody for my liking) Hydroventure was just really "nice" so it got grabbed!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention , I'd never heard of it before :).

I am slightly biased - I played a small part in its development :P

There's a bit of metroid influence in there too, hope you enjoy it! If you do, there's also a 3DS follow up, too.

17 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I am slightly biased - I played a small part in its development :P

Well I only played it briefly but from what I saw it seemed good and looks to be universally praised so I can think I can let you off and I know If I'd have been involved in a game that was generally held in high regard I'd be telling everyman and his dog about it :)!!