rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Still-life

Gig photography - what camera to take?

I've been going to more live shows in 2017 and despite having a great time I can't help but feel annoyed at the quality of photos I am getting on my aging Canon S95. Now whilst I respect the band's image and fully understand their need to manage their brand by not letting everyone take in their DSLR, I am frustrated at the quality of images I can get (granted, from the back of the show as I often have my 10yr old with me) with my small compact.

My question to you all you shutterbugs, what do you take with you to a gig? I am looking to review and buy a new camera that will get past security (so nothing with a detachable lense) but will still allow me to capture the show. I know I need to look at hardware that allows you to shoot AV priority and really needs to have snappy focusing to have any chance to keep up with the live show and all the lights.

On 24/09/2017 at 18:25, Still-life said:

I am frustrated at the quality of images I can get (granted, from the back of the show as I often have my 10yr old with me) with my small compact.

There's your problem, rather than any specific camera issue. Next time you go without your son try and get into a better shooting position.

Other than that, what specific problems are you having with your images ? Perhaps post a few up ?

• Upvote 1

if the position can't be helped, maybe that super-zoom Nikon? Or at least just a compact mirrorless that has a pretty nice optical zoom on the list of features. 

Yep, position is everything unfortunately. Both of these were shot on an iPhone 7 within the last 10 days, the difference is being twenty feet from the stage vs in the second row! Optical zoom should help a lot, but I also do pro gig photography on occasion and stuff shot from the back with a big zoom never looks as good as when you're in the photo pit.

C0094FB9-6B20-4E5A-8762-287B1A072B1F.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jamiroquai

Slaves

Jamiraquai

Boardmasters - LIfe - Land of Saints-9.jpg

Where to start?

Ok, you're looking for a camera that handles low light well...

You'll want a telephoto lens and something wide..

I typically use my 70-200 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/2.8, both set to normally around f/4 and 250/sec with iso whatever it needs to be.

If you're not in the pit, then I'd say forget taking a camera with you and just use your phone if you're desperate to take pictures.... it's liable to get knocked out of your hand or you're likely to sack someone on head with it.

Normal standard for gig photography is you're allowed 3 songs from the pit (no flash) and then you're chucked out. It's a good idea to go stand at the sound desk and get some shots from there showing the crowd and lighting.. don't forget to turn around though and get some reaction crowd shots!

Don't always go zoomed in on the singer, get some nice wide shots showing the whole band and the energy they create on stage... slwo your shutter down for some blurred effects..

I did Boardmasters this year and got to work with some of the best in the business and it was a properly eye opening experience.. my shots came out "ok", theirs, shot at the same time and with the same equipment were mind blowingly good... I have n idea how they did it!

• Upvote 4